Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

2ft planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I got a spare 2ft tank, thinking of trying out planted tank, and keeping a small terrapin inside, is this advisable?

Re: 2ft planted tank

Er I keep terrapins but not in planted, need to rmb to provide platform if not they may drown lol. Oh and they grow pretty fast so dont feed them too much!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

a big nono!! terrapin can live up to 45 years. do you have the patience for it ? im keeping terrapin myself so i really do not encourage others to keep terrapin it you cannot commit to it. a 2ft tank maximum can last only a year or 2.

according to the rule of thumb, every inch measured from their shell (head to tail) you need to provide 10 gallon of water area.

my emil and gmil are both 3 inch and they live in a 4ft tank which i think is quite small for them already.

unless you plan to keep it for a life time. if not, don't take in terrapin as a pet cause they might end up swimming in reservior someday

don't get a pet in impulse!!

cheers!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Terrapin is a waste of time in a planted tank. They are massive poop machines that live very long under optimal care, but they do not need a deep water area. Even then they are not advisable for tanks like a paludarium set-up, just because they grow big real fast and can knock out your scape since they do like to dig from time to time.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ok tks so much all Bros, I will drop the idea

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

^o^Y My neighbour got a big yellow rare turtle, always crawls out from their house to the lift, we always alert them to catch it back. Its so huge it lives in a big shallow red pail in my neighbour kitchen. Think of a turtle that you can put on your lap size streching from your left leg to your right leg. Hee.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Terrapin is a waste of time in a planted tank. They are massive poop machines that live very long under optimal care, but they do not need a deep water area. Even then they are not advisable for tanks like a paludarium set-up, just because they grow big real fast and can knock out your scape since they do like to dig from time to time.
    terrapins are good swimmers and they prefer to have as much swimming area as possible. one thing is to keep them healthy as swimming around consider as an exercise for them. they also spend 80% of their time in water as they feel safer. they do need deep water area.

just some knowledge exchange here. no offend cause im a terrapin lover

Cheers!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Stormy, I am aware that turtle such as the black beach turtles likes to dig but terrapins also dig? I just know terrapin stink...hee.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by actorial View Post
    terrapins are good swimmers and they prefer to have as much swimming area as possible. one thing is to keep them healthy as swimming around consider as an exercise for them. they also spend 80% of their time in water as they feel safer. they do need deep water area.

just some knowledge exchange here. no offend cause im a terrapin lover

Cheers!!
    Good day Bro,
    I back to defer the statement, I do have 2 small Terrapin at home, had place them in the pond when my Brother-in-Law first purchase them.

They alomst got drown. Therefore now we have kept them in shallow water.

No offense, just personal experience.

Cheers
    Knight