Country
    Singapore

Tubi worm HELP

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi dear friend,

can teach me how to wash the worm. because my Red Dragon eated and feel sick till now about 3 day already. some people can keep the worm for many many day than give him eat. i have lower down my water lvl for my red dragon already.
    Collecting Betta
    eikobetta.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Tubi worm HELP

put it in a small tank, and put air pump, change water every three day.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For me I change twice a day...morning and night. Add ketapang extract as the worms eat them. Please use aged water to clean the worms. If you are keeping a big quantity of worms I suggest you use a air pump,if not no need. Hope this helps
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 31st Jan 2010 at 13:05. Reason: remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You should wash the worms in some old tank water, until they are clear. The water in the bucket/container with the worms is full of dirty stuff like the worm's poop. If you don't clear this and just feed the tubifex directly to your Red Dragon, which I think is a Betta, then it will get sick.

When feeding tubifex, you should also not overfeed. Many Betta die when you overfeed with tubifex.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I keep them in a plastic box(with cover) and put in the refrigerator(lower level, not to ice cube them). Put enough water in the box. Every day change the water onces with aged water, allow them to settle and pour off the water.. repeat a couple of times(2-3x) . The final time just fill the water almost full and covers it up and back to the fridge after you feed.

*i drop some fishfood for the tubifix worm, don't know do they eat them but they still alive after 2 week and i'm still feeding them to my fishes.
    20+10 Gallon Tank Link | Light55w(PL) and Light13w(PL) | Normal Filter800L/per.hr | 3xDriftwood

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for all your good advise. i will try it out for my cute fry.
    haha
    Collecting Betta
    eikobetta.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

eiko,

Tubi worms can be put into small bowls (those KTV glass bowls for peanuts), water less than 50% of the bowl, usually about 30-40% will do. The worms will spread. Generally I do not feed the worms, but I do put a water pump tube into it.

Each time you clear the water, you don't stir the water. Remove the air tube, lift the bowl gently, slight tilt the bowl so that the water gets drained off including the dead worms. After that, add water. Repeat until the water is clear. Put the bowl down, put back the tube. You can clear once in the morning and once at night but you must remember to ALWAYS clear it.

For new worm purchase, upon reaching home, don't stir again, drain the water off the plastic, before you slide the worms into the bowl. Do water change if too many dead worms.

Dragon fish, do not overfeed or the dragon will grow very fast, thus no time to develop nice scales. Feed sufficient.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i see i see, thanks bule, just need a airpump lol.
    Collecting Betta
    eikobetta.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfred View Post
    I keep them in a plastic box(with cover) and put in the refrigerator(lower level, not to ice cube them). Put enough water in the box. Every day change the water onces with aged water, allow them to settle and pour off the water.. repeat a couple of times(2-3x) . The final time just fill the water almost full and covers it up and back to the fridge after you feed.

*i drop some fishfood for the tubifix worm, don't know do they eat them but they still alive after 2 week and i'm still feeding them to my fishes.
    I did it the same way as bro wilfred, but i use water directly from the tap
    Regards
    Robin Tan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi robin, i try tap water before, found that the next day die abit more than using the aged water, share my experience, but no harm i can say maybe is my thinking (die more/getting lesser)..
    20+10 Gallon Tank Link | Light55w(PL) and Light13w(PL) | Normal Filter800L/per.hr | 3xDriftwood

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfred View Post
    Hi robin, i try tap water before, found that the next day die abit more than using the aged water, share my experience, but no harm i can say maybe is my thinking (die more/getting lesser)..
    Well maybe is from different source, i can store them in my fridge for more then a week.,( i ever bought from other shop and they last only few days) just to add on i left it open without the cover and nothing in my fridge except some beer btw this is the fridge that i use to chille my tank water
    Regards
    Robin Tan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Open area can last one week without fridge and from tap water. Basically my father and myself don't feed the worms. It will break down it's own organic matter, (just doing its job) so no need to feed it.

Put Fridge, you better put a piece of normal charcoal in the fridge to cancel off the smell (if any).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah i think is the source, i try a number of time without the fridge, never make it to the 2nd~3rd day

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bro,

This is how I normally wash and keep my tubiflex worms:

1. Pour the worms into a mid size container and pour away the original water from the bag
    2. Pour in water from fish tank or aged water. Chlorine and Chloramine in tap water will cause higher casualty rate
    3. Stir the worms and break them apart to release dead worms and dirts from the lump as well as visually check for any potential parasites.
    4. While the worms is settling down, slowly pour away the water with the dead worms and dirts. Repeat until the worms are visually clean.
    5. Finally, filled up the container with 70-80% old tank water or age water. Provide aeration. At this stage, I will usually use kepatang water to condition my worms, and will keep them at least half a day in the ketapang water before feeding to my fish.
    6. Repeat from step 3 once or twice every day depending on the condition of the worms
    Last edited by Merviso; 29th Jan 2010 at 17:42. Reason: Add on

Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all,
    Put at tha fridge the worm will not die and change the water 2 time 1 day rigth?
    Collecting Betta
    eikobetta.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

IMHO... putting the worms in the fridge basically slow down their metabolic rate... which means lesser waste excretion...

I find that usually lack of oxygen and water turning bad (due to dead worms, waste excretion) are the main killing factors for the worms. If we were to use a big water bucket with lots of ketapang water and with aeration, the worms will last quite a while...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I read it somewhere which tubifex worm is able to get every the least oxygen in the water and of cause if you proved aeration is the best, so if you change the water daily, and that will add oxygen into the container.. no offense.. I stand by my point.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

no worries... just a healthy discussion...

I would say it actually depends on the water to tubiflex worms ratio... meaning how much is the water versus how much worms you buy....

I used to buy $1 worms every weeks... If without aeration, I would need to change water every few hours or the water will turn bad with lots of dead worms.... As I feed my fish the worms reduces.... For first 2 days, I will need to change water daily.... By the 3rd day, I can change water every 2 days... and by the 5th day, I can stop changing the water...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hmm..
    my way; 1) get 50cents of tubifex worm and 2)wash it a few time till i feel it is clean and start filling it up about 80~90% of water into the container then i 3)start feeding, hmm.. maybe i control my feeding a lot, i think is been about 3 week till now i still have about 20cent (much of tubifex worm) in my container (believe is the source like robin have say, never keep this long before) 4) do water change and wash once everyday, feed and back to fridge.. since i never try your (merviso, and blue whale way sound alike) way before, sound interesting, might try it out if got chance

Try it with out aeration (air pump spoil in the mid of the night) all dead the 2nd morning and it SMELL!!!, from that onward i start to using the fridge method

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Okies, if you have losta losta water, assumed one bowl, you might find there is a very unpleasant smell the next morning. You can go ahead and try for one night.

Now next is to reduce water, you go "ee? how come the smell not so much", then reduce water until a comfortable limit reach.

Next area to look then is aeration. Keeping a battery operated pump is always handy but remove that battery if not in use. If you go something like 10 bubbles per seconds, I think you are just tekan (torture) the tubi. Usually I will put a small air tap to moderate the air pump, 1-2 bubbles per second will suffice. Aeration will keep the water oxygenated whilst at the same time do not split the tubi community. You would noticed that they spread then they reach for each other.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast