Country
    Singapore

Where can I purchase Bio Foam?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Good day to all,
    Was wondering if anyone saw any Bio Foam that have a hole in one end and the other closed?

Been to several LFS in the north, unfortunately was adv. that there aren't any available in the market!

Can any kind buddy who have saw this items can direct me to it!

Thanks
    Knight

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Where can I purchase Bio Foam?

do you mean sponge filter? those for filter inlet?
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eviltrain View Post
    do you mean sponge filter? those for filter inlet?
    Er... Bro,
    Thousand apologies for the late reply.

Apparently I am looking for the type of bio filter sponge used in Eden 501. Black in colour, round type with one opening and the other close.

Saw in Biotope, that the used it for shrimp tank. To prevent the shrimp been suck into the canister.

Thanks
    Knight

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by knight View Post
    Er... Bro,
    Thousand apologies for the late reply.

Apparently I am looking for the type of bio filter sponge used in Eden 501. Black in colour, round type with one opening and the other close.

Saw in Biotope, that the used it for shrimp tank. To prevent the shrimp been suck into the canister.

Thanks
    Knight
    Did you trying finding in C328? I think there have sell cause that place quite big, sell lots of things

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bettafantastic View Post
    Did you trying finding in C328? I think there have sell cause that place quite big, sell lots of things
    Thanks Bro,
    Will try C328.

Cheers
    Knight

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

you can try NA or Colourful or even self improvise using those bubble filter. i bought 1 at NA yesterday with 1 green note. big surface area for BB.
    Last edited by eviltrain; 1st Feb 2010 at 17:06. Reason: added external reference
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Also looking for these but for Tetra brand (Japanese made). Saw them in a CRS shop in Hong Kong and they strongly recommended them. Could tell the difference in the clarity of their water.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Some breeders prefer BioFoam over canister because of low breeding cost. But there's still some of use who are Kiasu and Kiasi ( scared of lossing and scared of death ). Thats why we use both sponge and canister.
    - Alan Phang -

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Then the Japanese even more kiasi. They use 3 canister all connected plus sponge filter.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

They can't afford to have 1 die, they (CRS) cost millions there.
    - Alan Phang -

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ha... Ha... Ha...

Talk about Kiasu & Kiasi, let me share with you what I am using now.

Apparently I am running an external cannister with 800 l/hrs, the intake is then fixed with the bio sponge. (Due to the fact that the tetra that is in the tank is often suck by the in-take.) And the output is then fixed to a Otto dry & wet hang on filter (Purchase from QH which have extra 3 tray for substrate looks like a water fall.)

Initially I was thinking of duo filtration, meaning once the water from the tank is taken by the intake, after going through the external cannister it will deliver by the output to the Otto dry & wet hang on cannister for second filtration. However due to the tetra is being suck to the intake. Therefore I have fix on the bio sponge to act as preventive measure of fishs being suck by the intake & also can act as a filter.

Best part is that I am only running a 20" tank with daily water change for 10%.

Initially I have casualty of 20 for the first week now all 60 doing very well in the small tank, I hope.

Will post photo to share if I can get a digital camera.

Cheers
    Knight

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eviltrain View Post
    you can try NA or Colourful or even self improvise using those bubble filter. i bought 1 at NA yesterday with 1 green note. big surface area for BB.
    Thousand apologies, Bro.
    Ain't looking for Air Bio Filter as per your picture, but looking for a bio sponge.

Now those who are using Eden 501, will know what I am looking for.

Anyway thanks for your help.

Cheers
    Knight

PS: Also I have seem Biotope pluck in their external filter pipe in one of the air bio filter before. Maybe this is another way which I can do.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The blue one.

Maybe just print this out. Take the measurement to Yishun Aqua Star Trading first. If you can find something similar but longer, just trim it. Should be good for replacements already. Don't have to be exact. Perhaps you can pm Vinz to help to look out in Serangoon area too. =)

AQ Thread reference on this filter:
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=18435
    Last edited by Blue Whale; 1st Feb 2010 at 23:06.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Oh, for this type, i saw many of them at colourful the day before. but its in black colour
    - Alan Phang -

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post

The blue one.

Maybe just print this out. Take the measurement to Yishun Aqua Star Trading first. If you can find something similar but longer, just trim it. Should be good for replacements already. Don't have to be exact. Perhaps you can pm Vinz to help to look out in Serangoon area too. =)

AQ Thread reference on this filter:
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=18435
    Hi Blue Whale,
    Trouble is that I don't seem to find one that only have one hole.

There are a lot of sponge in the LFS with a through hole, hm... maybe time to DIY again.

Come to think of it, when it comes to Aquatic Planting. There is a lot of DIY, which sooner or later will turn me into a more handy man.

Bro, once again thanks for the kind advice.

Cheers
    Knight

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

May I suggest you buy those with a single hole that goes through the sponge - then you cut out a small piece of sponge to cover the other end?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jasmine_yeo View Post
    May I suggest you buy those with a single hole that goes through the sponge - then you cut out a small piece of sponge to cover the other end?
    Thanks Jasmine,
    Good suggestion, but my worries is that the in-take will suck the small piece of sponge into the canister.

I may think of a better way soon. Jasmine, really appreciate your good suggestion.

Cheers
    Knight

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I doubt that it'll happen. Basically I was using cut-outs to cover my intake previously on my for 400l/hr HOF. Although I'm using a similiar cannister to Eden with the original sponge in place, I still do see shrimps in my cannister (alive & swimming actively - both babies & adults). So I'm not sure how much it'll help the situation but I think cutting out the sponge to cover the base intake hole would help - just that it's more troublesome.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by knight View Post
    Hi Blue Whale,
    Trouble is that I don't seem to find one that only have one hole.

There are a lot of sponge in the LFS with a through hole, hm... maybe time to DIY again.

Come to think of it, when it comes to Aquatic Planting. There is a lot of DIY, which sooner or later will turn me into a more handy man.

Bro, once again thanks for the kind advice.

Cheers
    Knight
    I think Hydor sponge (dull blue) if you can find is cuttable, one hole in the center but might be a bit taller if you can find. The one that you see most likely is Otto replacement sponge which is yellow color. I won't think of using one piece of rect. sponge and angle it as that is not the design of Eden. They design it this way definitely for a reason. Agree?

Hey Knight!

Dunno if you have found your foam thingy yet. Now I just came back from BioTope. They have a black sponge like the Eden one that sells for $3 a piece (Much beautiful than the blue thingy you have there...hee), so Victor and myself took a Boyu which have a similar design with a wider mouth and presto! It fitted nicely.

So you might wanna drop by BioTope to get the sponge, much nearer to your house.
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 1st Mar 2010 at 22:56.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    I think Hydor sponge (dull blue) if you can find is cuttable, one hole in the center but might be a bit taller if you can find. The one that you see most likely is Otto replacement sponge which is yellow color. I won't think of using one piece of rect. sponge and angle it as that is not the design of Eden. They design it this way definitely for a reason. Agree?

Hey Knight!

Dunno if you have found your foam thingy yet. Now I just came back from BioTope. They have a black sponge like the Eden one that sells for $3 a piece (Much beautiful than the blue thingy you have there...hee), so Victor and myself took a Boyu which have a similar design with a wider mouth and presto! It fitted nicely.

So you might wanna drop by BioTope to get the sponge, much nearer to your house.
    Hey Blue Whale,
    Hm... great will proceed to Biotope tomorrow. Thanks man.

By the way did you turn up for the workshop? Sure rewards me a lot. Learn a lot of trick from the workshop, eye opening experience I would say.

So any new plan? Me thinking of going into Vivarium.

Cheers
    Knight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast