Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Balance between Angelfish and plants?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Balance between Angelfish and plants?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys i am new to the aquarium hobby. Now im starting my first aquarium in a 3 * 1.5 *1 feet tank. I am intending to add several angel fish, some compatible fish like loaches and polypterus(any other recommendations) and some plants into the tank. The main theme of the tank is the angelfish while the plants are there to create a more comfortable environment for them.

My concern is:

1) Is there a need for me to add a CO2 system for the plants?
    I am only looking to put some of those java fern colony which are tied to a small drift wood which i can buy form LFS.

2) Is there a need for me to put an air pipe to provide oxygen for the fishes?
    Correct me if i am wrong, but so far i have read that angel fish prefers less turbulent waters so i was trying to see if i can do without the air bubbles. Some staff in LFS also say i can do without the bubbles.

3)Is my pump having placing too much current in the tank?
    Currently my pump is a newly bought Fluval 305 and its running at 80% capacity.

4)How long should i leave the lights on for the plants?
    The tank does not receive direct sun light during the day and i was convinced by a staff at LFS to buy the two 2feet 18wt Arcadia lightning tubes for my tank.

Would appreciate greatly if anyone can offer some advice

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Balance between Angelfish and plants?

CO2 is not required. What you should be setting up is a low tech planted tank. You will need less light, less fertilizer. It's still a good idea to use a carbon fertilizer like Seachem Excel in place of CO2.

As long as you don't have too many fishes, and lots of plants, the plants will produce enough O2.

Frankly, if you have sufficient water surface movement from filtration, aeration is only required if there too many fishes. Set up a rain bar that pushes water across and below the water surface. Rain bar distributes the flow and reduces turbulence.

If aeration is a must, get an air stone or air curtain that produces very fine bubbles.

The filtration guideline is 3 times the water volume in 1 hour.

10 to 12 hours of light is required for plants. 36 W of lights might just be enough for Java Ferns and Anubias.

You have not mentioned fertilizers. You need to get a all in one fertilizer. For your setup, you can half the dosage. A carbon additive like Excel.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Rather thinking what you need. Why not ponder on what you want? After you decided what you want, then decide what you need.

Mitsuhiro Machida - 1st IAPLC Grand Prize Work - Little Negro
    http://www.xipit.com/thuy-sinh/tong-...est-iaplc-2001

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

be careful about introducing CO2 when there are fishes around.
    Java fern is a very hardy plant. Easy to grow.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the advice. I got a air curtain and have it at the back of the tank near the bottom. I will post some pictures of the tank when i have finished adding the fishes

i just added my first pair of silver angelfish into the tank. Got them from rainbow farm in sugei tengah. Was told the angelfish are from China. They seem to be doing well other than the fact the big one keeps chasing the smaller one around haha.

Im starting to notice that the tips of my java fern is turning a darker shade of green. Is there something wrong with the plant? I left the lights on until i sleep. I have yet to get fertilizers but will be getting the seachem excel soon. The water quality is good, so i have no idea why some of the fern's tips are turning a darker shade of green.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by danfoo View Post
    My concern is:

1) Is there a need for me to add a CO2 system for the plants?
    I am only looking to put some of those java fern colony which are tied to a small drift wood which i can buy form LFS.
    Depend on your light, more light photosynthesis run faster thus you need CO2 injection

2) Is there a need for me to put an air pipe to provide oxygen for the fishes?
    Correct me if i am wrong, but so far i have read that angel fish prefers less turbulent waters so i was trying to see if i can do without the air bubbles. Some staff in LFS also say i can do without the bubbles.
    Not necessary, as long as your plants photosynthesis and grow healthily.

3)Is my pump having placing too much current in the tank?
    Currently my pump is a newly bought Fluval 305 and its running at 80% capacity.
    depend on your scape, if it is lots of open space then it probably enough. In planted tank, don't be surprise if hobbyist putting 10 times the water volume.

4)How long should i leave the lights on for the plants?
    The tank does not receive direct sun light during the day and i was convinced by a staff at LFS to buy the two 2feet 18wt Arcadia lightning tubes for my tank.
    8 to 10 hours, don't go over 10 hours unless you like algae. Your tank is 3x1.5x1 feet and you are buying 2 feet light set?
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Im starting to notice that the tips of my java fern is turning a darker shade of green. Is there something wrong with the plant? I left the lights on until i sleep. I have yet to get fertilizers but will be getting the seachem excel soon. The water quality is good, so i have no idea why some of the fern's tips are turning a darker shade of green.
    Is it a bit transparent? if so, it is normal. That is the part that still growing.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi shadow. thanks for the info. I think the java fern's tips are slightly transparent. The plants seem to be doing well i guess. But its hard to see clearly because is still murky from the substrate i think. I am putting an air curtain just in case. My lightings are fitted in the housing that came with the tank itself. Its basically like 2 tubes of 2 feet lights that overlaps in the center of the tank.

There is only the java fern in the tank now but i am intending to add more when the water stabilize and when i have done more readups I was hoping to add some java moss and anubis, since they are more hardy plants.

heres a pic of the tank now. I have posted the same pic in some other treads also haha

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

danfoo, how long since you set up the tank?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

looking at your tank, I wonder if it is finished the cycling process
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Shadow, I have left him a message on another thread, if need to I can avail him the 1ft and a pump for him to keep his fishy apart first.