Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thumbs up Easy Breeding For Starters

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I may not be an experienced breeder but I would say guppies and other livebearers(mollies, swordtails etc) are the easiest tropical fish to breed.

Easy as they are but they seem non-profitable as it's always difficult to find buyers. Thus "no buyers = no profits".

Will hope all the great breeders here to share their vast knowledge on which type of fish are easy to breed and yet in demand to sell for making some profits to reinvest on our aquarium journey.

What are your views? Please feel free to comment.

P.S.
    Hopefully this thread will fill up with replies for fish owners like me who want to learn more about breeding.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Slash; 30th Jan 2010 at 21:48.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Easy Breeding For Starters

No comments? Anyone?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

to me betta are easy to. shrimp and guppies

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If it is easy, why would someone pay good money for it?
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

it is easy if you success in anything you are doing, it will not be easy if you fail, so keep on trying and do some research. someone pay good money for it maybe to get better result or good generation on what they are trying to breed. if that what you mean.by the way slash you can try breed on shrimp.if you want to earn money in breeding maybe you need to follow fashion, not stick to one kind of fish or shrimp, you need to know what people playing today, sometime they change mood like me, shrimp then into betta. maybe in future pupil breed other thing
    Last edited by hmpkbetta; 31st Jan 2010 at 05:22.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bossteck View Post
    If it is easy, why would someone pay good money for it?
    Agree on that.

Just that the main concern is that hundreds of offspring like guppies that isn't in demand compared to other fish. Or maybe I'm wrong?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by hmpkbetta View Post
    it is easy if you success in anything you are doing, it will not be easy if you fail, so keep on trying and do some research. someone pay good money for it maybe to get better result or good generation on what they are trying to breed. if that what you mean.by the way slash you can try breed on shrimp.if you want to earn money in breeding maybe you need to follow fashion, not stick to one kind of fish or shrimp, you need to know what people playing today, sometime they change mood like me, shrimp then into betta. maybe in future pupil breed other thing
    Thanks for sharing the information with me bro.

Maybe I should give shrimp breeding a try.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If you're into breeding to make money, that is difficult to do, unless you're able to churn out loads of fish/shrimp weekly for sale. Too many issues to think about, like the cost of feeding, the quality of tap water, temperature and even the danger of diseases to even make good money for a home breeder.

Problem can arise too when the market is saturated with one kind of fish or shrimp that you are breeding. This is evident when too many people are breeding the same thing, and eventually the market is flooded with the offspring.

IMO, do breeding only if you are into it for fun, and not for the money. Too much things to think about, that it will only give you stress if the resulting fry are unable to sell off due to low demand.

If you really want to breed something easy, try betta or guppy, in particular Endlers. Or you can go with breeding Cherry Shrimps since those guys can be tough if you provide the minimum conditions. There's always a market for these fish and shrimp, and bettas.. if too many just sell away as feeder fish to your LFS. I've seen countless young bettas culled for sale as feeders at many LFS.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

that it true stormhawk.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    If you're into breeding to make money, that is difficult to do, unless you're able to churn out loads of fish/shrimp weekly for sale. Too many issues to think about, like the cost of feeding, the quality of tap water, temperature and even the danger of diseases to even make good money for a home breeder.

Problem can arise too when the market is saturated with one kind of fish or shrimp that you are breeding. This is evident when too many people are breeding the same thing, and eventually the market is flooded with the offspring.

IMO, do breeding only if you are into it for fun, and not for the money. Too much things to think about, that it will only give you stress if the resulting fry are unable to sell off due to low demand.

If you really want to breed something easy, try betta or guppy, in particular Endlers. Or you can go with breeding Cherry Shrimps since those guys can be tough if you provide the minimum conditions. There's always a market for these fish and shrimp, and bettas.. if too many just sell away as feeder fish to your LFS. I've seen countless young bettas culled for sale as feeders at many LFS.
    Thanks for the enlightenment bro..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You're welcome. If you are aware of the risks, and still wish to go ahead on this, perhaps breeding quality discus might be worthwhile as an "investment", since it's not too expensive to house them, and the pair might be expensive at first, but if they successfully spawn then all of the work is worthwhile.

Profitability wise, I guess breeding Cherry Shrimps or CRS might be better, since those tiny critters are still sellable. They breed fast, especially Cherries, and you can easily be overrun with babies. But with the high reproduction rate if you get things right, you can afford to sell them in big batches at discounted rates to help in finding buyers.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Breeding is easy, But looking after is a hard task.
    Collecting Betta
    eikobetta.blogspot.com

Feedback Score

CPDs: easy to spawn but small broods. Same for Boraras and pencil fish. The fry are also small which requires some skill to raise the fry.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You're welcome. If you are aware of the risks, and still wish to go ahead on this, perhaps breeding quality discus might be worthwhile as an "investment", since it's not too expensive to house them, and the pair might be expensive at first, but if they successfully spawn then all of the work is worthwhile.

Profitability wise, I guess breeding Cherry Shrimps or CRS might be better, since those tiny critters are still sellable. They breed fast, especially Cherries, and you can easily be overrun with babies. But with the high reproduction rate if you get things right, you can afford to sell them in big batches at discounted rates to help in finding buyers.
    Bro.. Your advices are always like gold. It's great to pick your brain when it comes to fishkeeping.

I'm doing some research about shrimps currently but I doubt I will have them soon as my fish might just eat them up.

Maybe I could keep them with my breeding guppies. But the guppies might eat the shrimplets. Haha.. Any solutions?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eiko85 View Post
    Breeding is easy, But looking after is a hard task.

I agree.. But seems like even breeding is a difficult task for me..

My advice: Fish owners who are always busy, forget about breeding fish.

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneGenade View Post
    CPDs: easy to spawn but small broods. Same for Boraras and pencil fish. The fry are also small which requires some skill to raise the fry.
    Bro, what's CPDs?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i would recommend magic fish sell in a popular book store, any body saw this before?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Slash View Post
    Bro, what's CPDs?
    Hi Slash, CPD is short for Celestial Pearl Danio, or what people usually call Galaxy "Rasbora". It's a tiny fish, but not for people who cannot provide them with some form of live food. They got tiny mouths. Easy to breed but with tiny fry, it is a massive pain to raise them from fry stage to adult without some skill.

hmpk, the "magic fish" kit are killifish eggs. They are usually Notho eggs and originate from either China or Thailand, depending on which company is selling them. You do not know which species you get, since the name nor population code is stated on the outer packaging. You have no idea whether the eggs are viable or not, because the storage of killifish eggs is just as important in ensuring their viability. PLUS, the range of species available are mostly Nothos, which are subsceptible to velvet without some proper care. There is no "guarantee" on hatch rates, and you might not even get a single fry from those "magic fish" boxes.

Though if you got a single fry... that's as good as having NO fry.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hahaha i think the price is 25.90 one box.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Slash, CPD is short for Celestial Pearl Danio, or what people usually call Galaxy "Rasbora". It's a tiny fish, but not for people who cannot provide them with some form of live food. They got tiny mouths. Easy to breed but with tiny fry, it is a massive pain to raise them from fry stage to adult without some skill.
    Yup, totally agree..

This type of fish is discovered in 2006, not long ago.. There are actually pretty nice-looking.

Shall add them into my breeding wishlist.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by hmpkbetta View Post
    hahaha i think the price is 25.90 one box.
    Bro, I think you might as well save that money and get yourself some nice fish.

Of course unless you want a taste of the thrill of hatching these eggs but to feel disappointed to see none hatch..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast