Country
    Singapore

Queries on CO2 system

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All,

I have recently taken up the advice of getting a CO2 system for my 2.5 Ft planted tank. It is a basic set up with the tank connected to a bubble counter and to a, i guess, diffuser ( I think it is "Boyue" brand and with white plate on the surface and the whole thing looks like a bell ) Do you think it is sufficient ???

Should i spent on a needle gauge to tell when the CO2 in the tank is used up ??? What is a solenoid ??? I understand solenoid is used to automatically cut of the CO2 supply when the lights goes off. This will prevent the symtoms of fish gasping for air.

Also, i am presntly bubbling 3 bubbles per second. Is that too much ??

As you can see, really novice in this field. Please advise

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi elwen

arent you having a regulator at the present moment?.....if your current regulator does not have a needle valve for fine tuning...and you are using the main valve from your cylinder, you may have problems trying to control the flow rate.

It may be best to get a regulator with two gauges....the first gauge is to monitor the tank pressure while the second monitors the flow pressure that leads to the needle valve and best with a solonoid(as you have already answered the reason why)

The next thing is that you need to understand the relationship of CO2, KH, and PH as they are very closely related. It may be good to get a KH test kit and test your tap and tank water...for any planted tank, the correct KH level should be around 4 to 6 with PH ranging from 6.5 to 7

Whether 3 bubbles per second is too much then leads to the question of ...again your KH and PH level for optimal dissolved CO2 in your tank...for this part, again it may be good to have a CO2 test kit that is submerged in the tank itself...most of this kind of test kit indicates through coloration of the liquid within...blue = insufficient, green = optimal, yellow = overdose
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    elwen, yr diffuser shldnt be a prob... and since u can adjust to 3 bubbles a sec, then i guess u have a needle valve.. I oso suggestion u test yr water for PH & KH value b4 u decide how much to inject.. oso look at yr plants and fishes

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Guys

I have yet to see any CO2 gauges that are with 2 pressure gauges except those with solenoid built in.....Can you guys advise me on where I can find it.? Presently, I am using a CO2 regulator without solenoid and only a single gauge. I left my CO2 on 4 24hrs and currently my plants are doing very well thus I am wondering whether I should change to a CO2 regulator with solenoid valve.........A lot of my friend is telling me that it is better to inject CO2 for 10hrs however some ppl says it is better to inject CO2 24hrs a day.[:0]
    Regards
    William

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    william, got 2 gauges but u have to look ard.. mostly regulators u find in the lfs have solenoid.. seen some branded ones like JBL

as for the injection period, prolong injection may result in Co2 poisoning (think thats one of the reasons to 24hrs injection)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Frankly speaking you do not need to have 2 pressure gauges. You should have 1 to tell you when your co2 gets low. The other tells the output pressure which is quite useless as we are using the bubble counter to verify the co2 output.

A solenoid version regulator is highly recomended (by me). Reason being:

1. Regular times of switching can be achieved
    2. Longer lifespan of the needle valve
    3. Safer conditions for fishes, less chances of co2 poisoning
    4. No need for daily adjustments causing irregular co2 level.

For info abt solenoid valve:

The solenoid valve usually comes with the regulator. The solenoid has an electrical cable which is plugged into an electrical socket. Once the solenoid is turned on, the co2 is allowed to flow.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]