Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: To Shrimp, Fish or both? That is the question.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

To Shrimp, Fish or both? That is the question.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Bros,

As some of you may know, my tank suffered from overfeeding awhile a go and lead to most of my fishes and yamotoes being wiped out.

So when i was in C328 to restock the tank, i got myself 2 otos.... and 5 sakura shrimps, i was thinking why not i give them a try since my tank was heavily planted and the only fish left in there is a holland ram.

And now i think i got the shrimp poison. Just two days observing the sakuras in my tank makes me want to have more of em.

The problem here is.. the holland ram. Though no casualty so far, the sakuras were much quicker then the ram, thwarting his attempt to nibble on them. The ram does terrorize the shrimp when its feeding time, he basically owns the entire foreground US fissiden patches.

So i am seeking advice whether i should remove the ram or has any bros successfully bred Sakuras with a ram in the same tank. I've read about successful breeding of shrimps with tetras in the tank but how about Rams?
    Any advice bros or should i give the ram away.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: To Shrimp, Fish or both? That is the question.

Do you see any signs of attacks or chasing with nipping?

If your ram is well-fed, I don't think it should be a problem to have them together.

Build some hideouts for your shrimps might help too plus you said they were too fast for your ram too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

An all out attack? No, its just that when the shrimps come out to the open to feed, he will attempt to nip on them. but the shrimps will just dash away when he gets close. His stealing the shrimps food though. Though i am feeding him fish food at the same time.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze88 View Post
    An all out attack? No, its just that when the shrimps come out to the open to feed, he will attempt to nip on them. but the shrimps will just dash away when he gets close. His stealing the shrimps food though. Though i am feeding him fish food at the same time.
    I think it's pretty ok from my view. I can tell that you will love to keep them together.

Monitor them closely when you are free, and immediately separate them if you see any casualties.

Hope your shrimps are able to dash away safely everytime, but hope they get their food and don't starve since you say your ram steal their food.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You'll probably not see shrimplets. Your intention is to see your shrimps multiply? Or only have the current adult ones co-existing with your ram?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Actually it became to the point that i want to see shrimplets. Thus i have moved the ram into the pond and now my shrimps are happily feeding away at the foreground. However im wondering if all the sakuras are female. Any tips to identify their sex?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

=) I don't keep sakuras but here is something interesting on the net.

Hi Crew!
    <howdy>
    Just can't seem to find this one in the FAQ's. Is there any way to determine the sex of Fire Shrimp? Thanks
    <shrimp in general if gonochoristic (dedicated sex/gender) can be distinguished by the presence (male) or lack (female) of modified swimmeret's (last paired legs) where the thorax meets the tail. Lysmata are hermaphrodites though. Read more about the congener Peppermint shrimp in "Breeding and Training Peppermint Shrimp" by April Kirkendall for insight to your L. debelius fire shrimp. Kindly, Anthony>
    http://www.wetwebmedia.com/shrimpreprofaqs.htm

How do dietary diatoms cause the sex reversal of the shrimp Hippolyte inermis Leach (Crustacea, Decapoda)
    http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=18727697
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Forget about the sex reversal thingy.
    Now according to what I read, some identify by last paired legs as male, some identify female with saddles. You need a good camera or magnifying glass to do this kinda observation.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My company tank fishes all attack my sakuras. Cheery barb, cardinal tetra etc. Only the otto or corydora is safe i think.

However if your plants are bushing enough some shrimps do stand a chance but most of the time they don't come out lei!!!!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Haha, i transferred all my guppies and cardinals out of the tank only leaving the ottos and Nerites in it... aside from pest snails which are still a problem.

Its nice to see my sakuras finally foraging around instead of hiding. Interesting to note that my ottos are actually loving the shrimp food i put in and thus disturbing some of the shirmps during feeding. Quite cute to see the shrimps trying to steal the food away from the ottos