Wondering why?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have 2 tanks currently.
    One is a 2 feet tank

and the another one is a 1 feet tank.

What i don't understand is why the the plants in the 2ft one won't grow as success as the 1ft one? The 1ft is running on low tech (an air pump filter and light) and the 2ft is going with internal filter, a t5 light, fan and diy cos.

Could anyone tell me wrong i did wrong for my 2ft tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Wondering why?

That's quite a number of bettas in your tank. Don't they fight? All males?

Regarding to your question, I suspect your cardinals or neon tetras eating and trimming them up?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm not best here but , might need to add abit of fertilizer and a better water flow through the 2ft tank, 1ft tank is smaller so the plant can easily get what they need (fertilizer?).

I too have a 2ft tank all my green are growing(slow), i don't use Co2 but they all look fine to me, leafs keep growing and rotting (more that the rotten one), now looks very green(to me over the time).

hope this will help.
    20+10 Gallon Tank Link | Light55w(PL) and Light13w(PL) | Normal Filter800L/per.hr | 3xDriftwood

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Different plants grow at different rate and have diffeernt requirement. t looks like you have java fern, moss and frogbit for your 1ft tank, they have low requirement and grows fast. Your 2ft tank looks to have a different set of plants that may have a higher requirement and grows slower.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash View Post
    That's quite a number of bettas in your tank. Don't they fight? All males?

Regarding to your question, I suspect your cardinals or neon tetras eating and trimming them up?
    I think they are 1 female inside. But, how do you tell which is male and female for betta?

The neon tetras and guppies are feeded twice per day. So, I don't think the will tackle the plants. But, i think my 2 leopard roach maybe the cause... Used to be yamato inside the 2ft tank. But, one night I saw them killed and ate a neon tetra. So, I removed them... Scary...

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfred View Post
    I'm not best here but , might need to add abit of fertilizer and a better water flow through the 2ft tank, 1ft tank is smaller so the plant can easily get what they need (fertilizer?).
    I add a bit of AZoo trace elements to the 2ft tank once in a while. So, i think the filter flow is the problem? Mine is Hailea HL-BT400, which it said the flow is 380l/h. Maybe I should get another filter. Any suggestion?
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 15th Feb 2010 at 06:37.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hmm.. can be a lot might not just this, but maybe we just pin point down to this 1st,

filter flow 380L/H, I think is good enough already, normal guide-line is 3x the water volume (guessing about 70L for 2" tank same as me, about 210L), maybe is the direction, see if the flow make a cycle in your tank (help to send the nutrient to every plant you have in the tank).

I never use AZoo trace element before so I have nothing much to say, but currently I'm using seacheam flourish..
    http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod.../Flourish.html

hope this will help
    Last edited by Wilfred; 7th Feb 2010 at 02:21.
    20+10 Gallon Tank Link | Light55w(PL) and Light13w(PL) | Normal Filter800L/per.hr | 3xDriftwood

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Added another T5 light tube to the DIY light set. Now... staghorn algea start to grow on my plants!!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hope this help, lesser lighting hours or 2 lighting hours/per day (5 in the morning and 5 in the night!?), try Flourish Excel (extra Co2 for plant and some say, it's help KILL algae), Anti-Algae Medical!?(never user before..) or a few Oto's/Shrimp's/Siamensis's (don't know if they eat staghorn algae a not!?)

Link might help you.. http://www.aqua-fish.net/show.php?h=staghornalgae (someone who also have staghorn algae)

Got this tip on other site,
    Manually remove the threads with hand, or remove the leaf they are attached to.
    Lower light levels in tank.
    Siamensis will eat this.

Wishing you all the best and a Happy Chinese New Year.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The algea problem for the 2 feet tank is now under controlling. I added in a new side hanging filter and also a CO2 set. But, a new problem now come to me as my neon tetra start to commit sucide. I found few of them jumped out of the tank and dry in the monring for the past few weeks. Why did they do that for?