Country
    Malaysia

4ft tank setup. Advise needed.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I've got a standard two tier stand for 4ft tanks. The maximum width and depth that the stand can take is 48" (W) X 18" (D).

I'm prepared to customise a 4ft tank specifically meant for aquaplants and some small fishes like tetras and guppies. Would appreciate some advise for tank design and dimensions. I'm not referring to equipments, but rather, the actual layout of the pieces of glass, recommended thickness and height.

Also in my mind is... would having a sump / overflow system be more effective than a canister filtration system? The reason is that, if a sump is recommended, I'll have to consider that into my tank design.

I'm not in a hurry to setup my tank, but rather would like to get my tank design right first. I don't intend to change tanks regularly. So therefore, a sturdy, effective and efficient design would meet my requirements.

Thanks.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 4ft tank setup. Advise needed.

I would suggest the hight to be 1.5ft or 18" unless you have long hand. I try to scape 2ft deep tank before and my hand can't even reach the bottom . However it is also depend on which fish species you want to rare. 18" should be fine for tetra and gupy.

Normally we don't use sump/overflow in planted tank due to CO2 lost but it does not mean that it can't be done. CO2 is cheap you can just inject more . Some of us have success with sump tank, they should be able to give you better advice.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I would suggest the hight to be 1.5ft or 18" unless you have long hand. I try to scape 2ft deep tank before and my hand can't even reach the bottom . However it is also depend on which fish species you want to rare. 18" should be fine for tetra and gupy.
    How high the tank is positioned also matters. My tank is 3x2x2 and I have no problems reaching the bottom (by standing on a stool). For a 4 feet tank, I think 1.5ft may make the tank too elongated. Besides, after adding the substrate (about 5 cm), the visual effect is even more obvious. I will go for 2 ft height. But then, it really depends on your overall design.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

That is true. I guess if you put it on the floor you just need to bend your body inside. Also depend on how tall you are ....
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Hi guys,

Thanks for your reply.

I've been googling around and found this -> http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...p-why-not.html

Pretty interesting discussion on using a sump for planted tanks.

Back to the topic, my main display tank will be 39" from the floor up (including a 1" Styrofoam).

It's high, so 24" (H) won't be suitable for me.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

my cabinet is 2.5 feet, and my tank is 2 feet high
    i have no problems reaching, not using any stool
    hehhehe, those who know me will understand
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

iceless,

1. How tall are you?
    2. How tall will the tank be?
    3. Did you take account of the "smell"? How would your family react if you'd get one?

If given stand height of 80cm + tank height, when you reach it, would you be bending your wrist? If yes, it will cause harm to your wrist joint in the long run. So now, using a measuring tape. Use 75cm + tank height, follow by 70cm + tank height. By now you should have a comfortable height of the stand.

Keep in mind your Length x Breathe x Height measure on your handphone memo function now. Goto Qianhu, in between the displays rows of warehouses, you will see two racks on the left and right. Go there, use your measuring tape to measure and see if you can find your ideal stand or not.

Qian Hu Bus Schedule from CCK Interchange
    http://www.qianhu.com/content/phase1...cheduleCCK.asp

Other area you can look at is cabinets.
    Qian Hu, NA (Thomson), C328, AquaStar Trading, etc.
    You can also search "cabinets" in AQ and google respectively. Should spilt into few categories. Ready-made, Custom-made, DIY to name.

Take consideration into the total weight, would the would be stand/cabinet be able to withstand it at full load etc.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Hi AquaObsession, BLue Whale,

Thanks for your input.

1. I'm just under 170cm.

2. I've yet to decide on the height of the tank. But I've got an existing stand that elevates the tank 38" up from the floor. I plan to have this tank on display in the living room of my house. All things considered, a 20" - 24" high tank fits the viewing range perfectly.

3. My family has got no problems living with 6 X 36" tanks at one time.... so I would presume they have no issues with the new setup since it's only one 48" tank. I once had a 24" planted tank, but that didn't come up too well.

Thanks for the recommended shops. But unfortunately, I'm way up north in Penang, Malaysia. Coming down to SG to buy a fish cabinet will not be feasible for me. Appreciate your time taken to list it for me.

I've found a guy who specializes in making fish tanks for a living and he's highly sought after by LFS and hobbyist all over. He came highly recommended. Will post an update when I'm done with the final dimension of the tank.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    iceless,

1. How tall are you?
    2. How tall will the tank be?
    3. Did you take account of the "smell"? How would your family react if you'd get one?

If given stand height of 80cm + tank height, when you reach it, would you be bending your wrist? If yes, it will cause harm to your wrist joint in the long run. So now, using a measuring tape. Use 75cm + tank height, follow by 70cm + tank height. By now you should have a comfortable height of the stand.

Keep in mind your Length x Breathe x Height measure on your handphone memo function now. Goto Qianhu, in between the displays rows of warehouses, you will see two racks on the left and right. Go there, use your measuring tape to measure and see if you can find your ideal stand or not.

Qian Hu Bus Schedule from CCK Interchange
    http://www.qianhu.com/content/phase1...cheduleCCK.asp

Other area you can look at is cabinets.
    Qian Hu, NA (Thomson), C328, AquaStar Trading, etc.
    You can also search "cabinets" in AQ and google respectively. Should spilt into few categories. Ready-made, Custom-made, DIY to name.

Take consideration into the total weight, would the would be stand/cabinet be able to withstand it at full load etc.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by iceless View Post
    1. I'm just under 170cm.
    >"< My bad...forgot about the country factor. Okies, I think you should be comfty with 70cm 75cm tall stand/cabinet. Have Fun hunting!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    >"< My bad...forgot about the country factor. Okies, I think you should be comfty with 70cm 75cm tall stand/cabinet. Have Fun hunting!
    Hey BW,

No worries. I've decided to ditch the old stand and go for a new one made of hardwood. It's not going to be a cabinet, but rather a customised stand.

Will post drawing and dimensions when I'm done.

From what I've gathered, the equipments that I'll need to house under the stand would be:

1. Canister Filter (2 units) - I've decided on using 2 is because I like the idea of having 2 units running and whenever I clean the filters, I can clean one and leave the other to maintain the level of healthy bacterias in the water.

2. CO2 tank

3. Chiller?? - My living room is airconditioned most of the time, except bedtime.... . I was wondering if I need to have a chiller... But maintaining a temperature of 26C - 28C shouldn't be an issue. A couple of fans should do the job.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Hi all,

Here's an update.

I'm settling for a 48" (W) X 24" (H) X 24" (D) sitting on a customized stand standing 30" from the floor. The tank will be made with 8mm glass all round.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

why not get thicker glass like 10mm, for a tank this big, the thicker the better unless it has center rim. any knock onto the glass panel will have great impact / stress on it
    Last edited by eviltrain; 24th Feb 2010 at 15:18.
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eviltrain View Post
    why not get thicker glass like 10mm, for a tank this big, the thicker the better unless it has center rim
    Concur with Eviltrain. I've called up a few tank makers in Sg, and most suggested a 10mm glass for a 4'. For braceless designs, some may even play it safe to suggest a thicker glass.

On the tank height, it's interesting to note that Cabinets are typically shorter (ADA cabinet is only 70cm), but stands (Wrought Iron) are about 90cm. I personally prefer 90cms so I don't have to stoop too much to view the tank (I'm 1.8m).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by iceless View Post
    Hi all,

Here's an update.

I'm settling for a 48" (W) X 24" (H) X 24" (D) sitting on a customized stand standing 30" from the floor. The tank will be made with 8mm glass all round.

Cheers
    8 mm for 4ftx2ftx2ft is way too thin. may 3ft is 10mm
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

neverwalkalone,
    well you can always sit on a arm chair and admire your tank.
    haha
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Hi guys,

Thanks for your advise. Your advise is well noted. I'll have to recalculate my budget .... the difference of 2mm and the price is almost double!

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

^^ glad you are heeding the advice given by the guys. I agree too.

I also agree with your decision to go with fans but make sure they are not the small ones mounted on wood as there will be vibrations and wood will amplify that noise further. Please note on this small reminder.

Pocket not deep enough can save until it is deep enough ^^Y Like buying a pc like that.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Hi all,

Heeding advise given by seniors here, 10mm it will be. Will update when the tank arrives.

Cheers!