Country
    Singapore

missing cardinal tetras and sucker fish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi fellow brothers,

I'm having a 1ft planted tank. I've bought 8 cardinal tetras around one month ago and just recently added 10 more to the original 8 of them. Before adding the 10 additional cardinal tetras, i also bought 3 small sucker fishes. Till now, 2 sucker fishes are missing for around one week and 5 cardinal tetras are missing for a few days. I've found 3 dead bodies of the cardinal tetras and none of the sucker fishes. Other than that, i still have 5 cardinal tetras and 2 sucker fishes missing. Mine is only a 1ft tank which is not big at all. Do the dead fishes float? If yes where are the rest of the missing fishes? Thank you fellow brothers for your advises.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: missing cardinal tetras and sucker fish

I will just share my experience as to the "Case of missing fishes". I started my planted tank last October, and till now, I have 5 casualties, 2 Oto and 3 cherry barb. You mentioned that you have 3 sucker fishes which I assume to be Oto. My 2 Oto died stuck at the filter head, so you should check whether they have been sucked into your filter. If they are, then they should be well decomposed by now. I sometimes also did not see my remaining Oto for quite some days only to see them hiding below the drift wood.

You should check below the drift wood, filter, stones (rocks) for any dead fish bodies, as they maybe stucked in it. If all else fails, then check the floor to see if there are any suicidal jumping fishes out there. If the number of fish is still not accounted for, then report the case as another X-File.
    A Liverpool Fan In Singapore
    My 2 ft tank
    Flora: Anubias barteri var Nana, var "Gold" and "mini", Crypto Wendtii, C.parva, Marsilea Hirsuta, Flame Moss, Hygrophila Polysperma, H.Violacea & H.Corymbosa, US Fissiden
    Fauna: Guppy, Pelvicachromis Pulcher, Nannacara Anomala, Laetacara Araguaiae 'Buckelkopf'

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks Aquanoob, i did found some dead fish remains in the filter head. They appeared to be the remains of my cardinal tetras. Nonetheless, thanks for your advises. i've scanned the whole tank and even the floor of the tank, so far there's no more dead fishes. i'll continue to keep a lookout for my remaining fishes...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Nick,

I think you need to do something and start asking questions.
    1. Water change. In the case of mass dead fish, water can be contaminated. If the fish died of E.g. Tetra disease, you will need to start your countermeasures almost immediately. Like ensuring you de-contaminate the filter by using hot water treatment on the filter media, etc.

2. How did the cardinal died off?
    Were they being attacked? Was it disease? Were they sick when you buy them...aka listless the moment they enter the tank? Were they subjected to ph shock? temp shock? Did you dechlorine your water? Was any poisonous stuffs being introduced due to nearby stuffs....E.g. Battery leakage from a nearby electronic product. What is your water change regime? How frequently are you doing your water change regime? Did the cardinals die of hunger in the first place?...as in they do not eat the food you feed them.

18 cardinals and 3 suckers. Do you have an idea of how big your sucker fish will grow until later? These should be in your mind all the time.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Blue whale,

Hi, i did a water change the moment i remove the dead bodies. I always add in the anti-chlorine whenever i change the water as well. I normally change once a week and normally i did a 20% to 30% change of water.

As for how the cardinal died off, i do not have any idea as i would find them missing and i only found 3 dead bodies a few days ago with the rest still swimming around after removing the dead bodies and changing water. As for the fishes being attacked, i do not have any idea as the sucker fishes that i've bought are about the same size as the cardinal themselves and during the day time when i'm watching them, they are not disturbing each other. I normally feed my fishes once or twice everyday with flakes and normally they will finish the food within 2 minutes. As for poisonous stuff nearby, i really don't think so as i did not place any stuff near the fishes. My sucker fish is otto and normally they will not grow too big. Thanks for your advise

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Nick,

1. What type of anti-chlorine? What is the cost of this anti-chlorine? Does it remove chloramine?
    2. Any test for PH conducted? What's the reading like?
    3. Otto I won't call it suckers. More of scavenger class. No issue.
    4. Batch 1 cardinals all still around? Batch 2 cardinals, how many left?
    5. Where are you located? Any forumers near you to check your tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Blue Whale,

The anit-chlorine i'm using is not those expensive brand as i only bought it for 1 dollar per bottle. The ph of the tank is around 7.2 as i tested a few days ago. Majority of my cardinals belongs to the first batch as i can still recognised most of them who are with me for around one month.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

>"< Hmm...

OceanFree Green correct? I think that might not be sufficient.
    There are:
    Genesis $3 - I don't like this.
    BioStress $8to$10 - Haven't try it but it does tackle chloramine.
    Nutrafin Aqua Plus $8to$10 - confirmed good, have been using for years and no issue and does tackle both chlorine and chloramine. Usually I buy the bigger bottles.

Okies, temporary measures:
    1. Ensure water clean and dechlorinated properly.
    2. Ensure filter is maintained monthly (minimum) After three months you can stretch to 2-3mths one maintenance.
    3. Batch 2 might be sick in the first place. Constantly observe them for two weeks to ensure their health.

If you are going to introduce Batch 3:
    1. Quarantine them first for observation.
    You cannot assume they will mix together with Batch 1. Of course the Batch 1 cardinals are older and good guider but if Batch 3 carries neon disease, they can spread to Batch 1. Batch 3 also need some time to get use to you as their master, so you need to train them to eat first seperately. =) So next time they see your hand, they assume is feeding time and will not be afraid of you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Blue Whale,

Thanks for your valuable advises... I think i'll go and look for the above recommended brand by you tomorrow if i happen to pass by any LFS. For the time being, i'll monitor on the situation before i introduce any new batches of cardinal to my tank. Thank you so much for your time and advises.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Your tank is kinda overstocked?

Quote Originally Posted by nick_tks View Post
    Hi fellow brothers,

I'm having a 1ft planted tank. I've bought 8 cardinal tetras around one month ago and just recently added 10 more to the original 8 of them. Before adding the 10 additional cardinal tetras, i also bought 3 small sucker fishes. Till now, 2 sucker fishes are missing for around one week and 5 cardinal tetras are missing for a few days. I've found 3 dead bodies of the cardinal tetras and none of the sucker fishes. Other than that, i still have 5 cardinal tetras and 2 sucker fishes missing. Mine is only a 1ft tank which is not big at all. Do the dead fishes float? If yes where are the rest of the missing fishes? Thank you fellow brothers for your advises.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi pcfreak,

does 18 cardinal tetras too crowded for a 1ft tank? Can you please advise on the favoured number of cardinals in the tank? Thanks for your help...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi nick, try use this link, is the best Calculator I seen so far, check is your tank over-stocked, as i don't know your tank dimension i cannot say much
    http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?
    20+10 Gallon Tank Link | Light55w(PL) and Light13w(PL) | Normal Filter800L/per.hr | 3xDriftwood

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes it is very... 5 - 6 ideally. If 1ft X1ft X1ft

Quote Originally Posted by nick_tks View Post
    Hi pcfreak,

does 18 cardinal tetras too crowded for a 1ft tank? Can you please advise on the favoured number of cardinals in the tank? Thanks for your help...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ya, maybe i really overstock them... Thanks for your advises... I'll try not to stock too much of them...

Wilfred, thanks for sending the calculator... i'll use it to calculate if there are really too much fishes in my tank. thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Overstock means Bio load will be heavy. It is not cannot, just not adviseable. If you need to add cardinals, make sure they are lively, not dead dead kinda ones. Due to CNY, the roll out of the cardinals batches may be too fast. So you have to be very very intimate with your selections.

If you do get new ones, get smaller one. The Batch 1 should know how to take care of them. You should use cm conversion(Display in cm) when using AQAdvisor. 10 cardinals is still good. Max. Length for Cardinals is about 2cm. =) Enjoy your hobby!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you very much

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You are welcom
    20+10 Gallon Tank Link | Light55w(PL) and Light13w(PL) | Normal Filter800L/per.hr | 3xDriftwood