Country
    Portugal

Akadama or sand

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Good morning everione.
    I am now to aquaticquotient Forums but i´ve been reading from the outside by mere curiosity untill now.
    I´m planing a planted tank and i came across a hard decision, I love sand (silver sand, sugar size) and all my species (fish species) also love sand, the thing is sand over time can kill plants roots right?

Usualy i use melanoides snails to oxigenate and stirl the lower levels of my sand and till now i never had any problem whit black sand or bad smell in my tank but besides a few vallis i never had many plants there.

I will use JBL aquabasis plus as fertile soil and i have to use something else on top, my first choice will always be sand, i also have akadama that i realy not fond of it neather my fish but if we have to we will cope, all the other gravels do not fit my or my fish interesse nor the mix of akadama and sand by zones.

So i came here to ask you guys, on top of JBL aquabasis plus can i use sand or i realy have to go for akadama?

Ps: sorry for my english and i realy love this forums.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Re: Akadama or sand

sand is seldom used as it will most likely crush the plant roots. you should use gravel of 2~3mm size.

if you really want to have sand, you can consider having a thin layer of sand on top of the gravel.

and welcome to AQ!
    thomas liew