Images
    Country
    Singapore

Aro in planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi all, i'm new to planted tank, abt a year old. i have a rtg in my 5 ft planted tank. recently, i have this doubt about keeping aro in it.

If i'm not wrong, a planted tank usually last u 2 to 3 year before u redo it. rite? can someone enlightened me the reason behind.

If the above is true, that mean i have lots of work to do every 2 to 3 year, wah very siong leh! or is there any alternative?

tks for reading. cheers! []
    Koh

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    2-3 year is due to substrate either becoming anoxic, basefert depletion, or substrate deterioration.

that's typical for eg: gravel + base fert, ada soil types.

furthermore, its also about boring.. ie: you tear down to start with new ideas.

in anycase, I planned ahead more or less by chosing fluorite as substrate...the only reason I'd tear it down is move to bigger tank. or NEW gadgets.. for some stupid reason have the idea of installing substrate heating cables..(but weather so hot already...pointless)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    tks chris.

so does it mean that i regularly insert horti stick, i can solve the problem of fert depleting. besides, by releasing the air in the gravel, i cure anerobic. thus i can keep the tank as long as i want?

the reason i have this worry is that aro grow quite fast and shifting her is a real headache. []
    Koh

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    you could always do java fern on driftwood and no substrate.. heh

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/23/2003 12:53:48 AM

tks chris.

so does it mean that i regularly insert horti stick, i can solve the problem of fert depleting. besides, by releasing the air in the gravel, i cure anerobic. thus i can keep the tank as long as i want?

the reason i have this worry is that aro grow quite fast and shifting her is a real headache. []
    ----------------
    No worries..my tank been around for 4 years already. Not torn down for rescaping. No time and little money to rescape. Anyhow, tank is not exactly that bad considering it gone through the BBA Months...4 yrs on...I do wonder how long before I tear it all down to rescape or upgrade? I do stick some crypto tabs as base fert replacment from time to time. So far no ill effects.
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The oldest substrate I've heard of is 8 yrs (I think). Owner claims substrate heater helped. It's a local tank, so he had to install a chiller as well for the subtrate heater to do it's job.

The usefulness of substrate heaters is much debated with little, if any, conclusive results.

Root ferts every few months or so should help. Malayan Trumpet Snails might help keep prevent your substrate from going anaerobic or compacted.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Malayan Trumpet Snails... Anywhere selling or someone got some to give? My current snails are controlling the Surface protein, Green algae & dead leaves in my tank. Especially a 5mm snail, can see it mouth when it munch on Spot algae on the glass. BBA no luck, only SAE munching them slightly.

Wonder why the snail have not over-run my tank yet? maybe I am newbie, donno have any experience on snail invasion.
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You can plan interim aquascaping. No need to tear down the whole tank to do so. Do a bit each time so you don't have to start all over again. And the aquascape still evolves slowly to a new one.
    The substrate won't be that worn out as mulm is being accumulated in it all the time. You can insert fertiliser tabs like root monsters, Horti sticks, etc into it to spice it up.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    tks all, at least now i am relieved. really dun wanna go thru tearing down especially when settlement for aro is a big problem.

tks......[]
    Koh

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/23/2003 12:53:48 AM

besides, by releasing the air in the gravel, i cure anerobic. thus i can keep the tank as long as i want?
    ----------------
    Isn't it true that healthy growth of plant roots cure anaerobic condition on substrate, keeping it at good condition for long? If so, can't see the logic of replacing substrate after certain years.