Country
    Singapore

Newbie with 1ft New Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Just visited NA near Balestier. I hv a new 1 feet tank for which I intend to set up with some cardinals later.

I was told by the lady that I need to out in 3 layers: sand, base fert and then sand again.

Plants - was advise to use moss and some java ferns.

Bought some Co2 liquid and liquid fertiliser for which I was told to change 30% weekly and to top up CO2 and fertiliser using the meaurements.

After 3 or 4 weeks only can introduce fishes. for starters, ligthing should be 5 - 8 hours a day.

Anyone to advise if this is correct and what are the easiest plant to start with?

Thanks
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 6th Mar 2010 at 00:29. Reason: sms lingo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Newbiw with 1ft New Tank

actually if you only use moss and java ferns, you don't really need much ferts, esp base fert. however, using base fert will give you the flexibility to have other plants in your tank. as it is a 1 feet tank, perhaps you would be looking at plants with smaller leaves for stem plants, or some kind of creeping plant to create a nice carpet.

also, it depends on what lighting you use, because what plants you can plant in your tank depends on what light intensity you have. perhaps you can describe a bit more in detail, e.g. what kind of tank you want to have, heavily planted, or just some greenery etc.. prefer tall stem plants or low creeping plants (to provide more swim space in your 1 ft) and fauna you intend to keep (besides cardinals)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

not too heavily planted preferable with moss and 2 stems on each side to allow tetras some room to swin, plan about 4-6 tetras max.... thinking of putting this in my study to relax my eyes from Pc. Will also not be on exntensive CO2 as I do not plan to get a CO2 tank.

Does this help? sorry as this is my first planing attempt... tank soil, sand is ready... also will be using Diamond water. Do I still need anti chlorine for it?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i'm sorry but i'm not familiar with diamond water. what is that? is it a product? as long as your water is not aged from the tap, you would need anti-chlorine and chloramine for water changes.

as for moss, there is the usual java moss, christmas moss, or fissidens etc. really depends on which one you prefer. tying them to driftwood and/or small rocks for them to anchor and grow will create a pleasing tank for you to relax your eyes from PC. as for stem plants, i'm not too good with them, but maybe you can consider some rotala to introduce a little bit of red into your tank to provide contrast, as long as your light set is sufficient in wattage.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Merduka,

1st and most importantly, if the Co2 liquid is Excel.
    Do not dose directly at moss, from experience moss will have "burnt" tips from direct excel dosing. Mix with tank water before you dose.

Moss and java ferns do not require strong light periods to survive, that's why she advised you so. Nor do they have for higher fert needs so you might wish to lower the dosage then required.

If you age your water long enough chlorine content would be low.
    About the water your using is it the type filtered from the below devide?
    http://www.diamondenergywater.com.sg/

What ever it is, most of us add anti chlorine even when we age water.
    Better to be safe then sorry.

For your tank layout, you can consider tying moss to wire mesh (if you have not gotten them. Check with chan (NA's owner) then look up on tying moss.) Moss floor can be very appealing to 1st timers.

Your light period is ok, but it really depends on the light's wattage (which i don't know yet.) It will affect the rate of your plant's growth.

Do go ahead and do some research in the fourms, then feel free to ask for comments as opinions differ .

BTW: i live close to NA, normally drop by once every 7-10 days.
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 4th Mar 2010 at 08:57. Reason: remove immediatequote
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Felix,

1.Yes, its Excel ... cheaper compared to another brand from Holland.
    2. Yes it Diamondwater. Ok, I will get anti clorine - btw how long do I need to age water
    3. Will use moss and some red plants

Thanks for your thoughtful advice. Really appreciate this forum guys...

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Red plants are usually more demanding and will require high light or Iron. Otherwise will melt or turn green. I will still suggest sticking with Java Ferns for variety.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Newbie with 1ft New Tank

Hi Gurus,

Got it.

will start with moss and Java Ferns.

Before asking how I get them both, I have one more question: I need a fan to cool it down.

Where do I get a good fan or is there someone willing to share one? Is 1 fan good enough for a 1 ft tank?

Thanks
    Kenneth

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

if you want a really silent fan, go with the Mr.tornado fan. It's more than enough for your 1 ft.

for my nano cube tank, i have java moss, mini nana and marimo, no fert, no fan, 1 13watt lamp, no problem, although growth rate is slow.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Merduka View Post
    2. Yes it Diamondwater. Ok, I will get anti clorine - btw how long do I need to age water
    Diamond water is product of reverse osmosis, it lack of nutrient that needed by plant, you might want to dose some trace element. You do not need anti clorine or age the water

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

actually if keeping cardinals with java ferns and mosses, if you average temperature is around 29 degrees, you will not even need a fan. But if your place is warmer than that, a normal clip on fan will do (but most are noisier than Mr Tornado). Ask Mr Chan to recommend you, he has a lot of fans beside his counter including Mr Tornado.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ok, thanks... so I may also need a thermometer for the water?

Last question (planning to do this on sunday), I already set up the tank with the putside filter working fine... only the light bulb needs to be changed.

How do I start putting in the sand? I am planning to follow through my plan... sand, base fert andthen sand again.

Any advice?

Thanks
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 6th Mar 2010 at 00:30. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    Diamond water is product of reverse osmosis, it lack of nutrient that needed by plant, you might want to dose some trace element. You do not need anti clorine or age the water
    KWL bro, from the product i only guessed it was a water filtering system.
    reverse osmosis will take out all the nutrient too?

Last question (planning to do this on sunday), I already set up the tank with the putside filter working fine... only the light buld needs to be changed.

How do I start putting in the sand? I am planning to follow through my plan... sand, base fert andthen sand again.
    Thanks
    thermometer is something good to have, but not a 100% need to invest in.
    note that they may not be accurate enough (digital).

Think its better to read up aquascaping section, it will give you a clearer idea.

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Last question (planning to do this on sunday), I already set up the tank with the putside filter working fine... only the light buld needs to be changed.

Any advice?

Thanks
    hi there bro.
    1)if you intend to start with java moss and fern i advice you not putting the fert. unless you planning to grow stem plants, it will cause excessive nutrient levels in the water column. one more question though. you doing with or without co2?

2) like bro felix mentioned, thermometer used only to gauge temperature of your tank. if you on a budget can get those mercury based ones.

3) One small fan will do. but you need to top up water more frequently. atleast every 2 days

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all,

My idea is to start without CO2 but I have bought liquid Excel.
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 6th Mar 2010 at 00:29. Reason: SMS Lingo

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Merduka,

Please refrain from using SMS Lingo or shortform.

Thanks
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I recently bought a GEX one for $2 at polyart you can try there, their open 24 hours a day. My 2 Footer has no Co2 and still grows pretty fast (its on 36W PL x 2, Light period around 2.5 + 3 hours segregated) I dose excel when i do trimmings.

My idea is to start without CO2 but I have bought liquid Excel.

Try use office accepted short form when conversing with international people, That is still fine for me so far.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bro,

Do you know where to get T4 18W flourescent bulb?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

may i ask why you intending to use T4 bulbs?
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 14th Mar 2010 at 13:13. Reason: remove immediate quote

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Check with NA, they might have it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast