1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Queries on setting up a Marine tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, is it necessary to put up a skimmer in the initial stage of the setup? I gather some info on some LFS and says that once I established my water conditions, after a few months can already put up a skimmer. Also, is it necessary to put up a chiller for a live rock + fish + soft corals setup?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Queries on setting up a Marine tank

1) When cycling the tank, you do not need a skimmer. Only when the tank is cycled, then u will need to use a skimmer.

2) Cycling a tank will take from 2-6 weeks depending on whether you use live rocks, live sand and NSW.

3) Depending on your tank size, you may be able to get away with using fans only. However, if you use MH lights, you will need to use a chiller due to the large amount of heat generated by the MH lights.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi teebs! Thanks for the feedback.

For the skimmer one, is it ok to use those small internal ones instead of the bulky ones setup outside the tank? since my tank is only 2 ft. By the way, if I use a 24W x 4 T5 tubes, would it be ok to use a fan instead of chiller?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If you do not want to use a skimmer, you have to do weekly water change. Using synthetic salt plus RO/DI water for your salt mix. Do not leave the water in the tank stagnant while cycling and there's no need to have the lighting while cycling the tank.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by danaya View Post
    Hi teebs! Thanks for the feedback.

For the skimmer one, is it ok to use those small internal ones instead of the bulky ones setup outside the tank? since my tank is only 2 ft. By the way, if I use a 24W x 4 T5 tubes, would it be ok to use a fan instead of chiller?
    For the skimmer, you can use the Prizm or Deltec MCE600 skimmers. The MCE600 is extremely good as pulling out waste from your tank but it costs quite a bit. You can basically forget about the Weipro or other cheaper skimmers on the market as they are pretty useless.

For a 2ft (I'm assuming 2x1x1), you can use fans only. I'm using fans on my 2x1x1 fowlr and chiller on my 3x2x2 LPS tank.