Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Cooling fan. Should I on it 24hr? Or only when my light is on?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Cooling fan. Should I on it 24hr? Or only when my light is on?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I just planted some java moss & taiwan moss on seperate drift wood 2 weeks ago. I also bought a side hanging cooling fan for the tank. Should I on the fan 24hr? Or should I on it only when my light is on from 12noon-10pm? Or should I on it all the time with interval rest of 15min every hour using a timer so the the fan can "rest" to prolong it's lifespan?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Cooling fan. Should I on it 24hr? Or only when my light is on?

I on my fan 24/7. Normally a quality fan should last you for a couple of years running 24/7.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

It all depends on the ambient temperature around the tank. Idea of the fan is to maintain/cool the water for the inhabitants/plants; so if the night is still warm (say in the office when air-con/fans are off), then it may be a good idea to keep it on.

I believe most keep their fans on the same time as the lights. (helps to cool the warm air from the lights too). As for prolonging the fans - as RHX indicated, most good fans will last for a while even running 24x7. I would think the lifespan will not defer much even if there are 15min 'rests'.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What I guess is most equipment wear off faster with frequent start and stop. Leaving it runs for 24 hours may last you longer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Preferably to leave it on.
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

thanks for your replies. i guess in this case i'll leave it on 24/7

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

sigh... my dymax cooling fan - i have always left it on 24/7... but i switched it off for 10 days when i was away from home (afraid later only left with half tank of water, haha!). upon return, turned it back on, and it would not move!!! now it's dead ... sigh.... it was working perfectly well before....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

just keep it on 24 hours. It's your best bet.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I only on mine when the lights are on... (too lazy to top up so much water )works fine for me.
    But might try to on it for 24hours since it is so hot these few days

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Actually the first thing to do is to increase the airflow in the house. Where is input and output at different places. For my house, the 3 rooms and the living room are in the input position or receiving the wind flow, the kitchen itself will act as out flow. You can't exactly open all the windows so the top windows are opened which has a rain shelter (outside) above the windows. If it cools just 1C, you are already better.

I actually used a seperate timer for the fan. Roughly, 9am to 10pm. A 24/7 fan tendancy is to collect dust at the fan blade so remember to do maintenance on your fan regularly as well. You find that certain area of the fan is very challenging hence a small cotton bud wet with water would do the trick of cleaning very easily. The idea here is that night time the temperature will drop significantly and the day temperature was why you bought your fan in the first place. Do not bend the fan blade during maintenance.

Tetra(tm), advocates that water level be 2cm from the top at max, I leave about 10-15% below that. This to ensure equipment do not get slashes from the fish or during water change. (Reduce risk of short circuiting)

Certainly you find that oning 24/7 do not put a significant dent on your pocket. So at the end of the day, it's a matter of choice. And if you have not been maintaining your fan, take it as a reminder to do it monthly or bimonthly. That should suffice.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

that's a reminder for me to maintain my fans