Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Any recommendation of any type of shrimps that can live in peace with cardinal tetras

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Any recommendation of any type of shrimps that can live in peace with cardinal tetras

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Do anyone have any recommendation on the type of shrimps that can live in peacefully with cardinal tetras?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Any recommendation of any type of shrimps that can live in peace with cardinal te

usually shrimps won't disturb the fish, its the fish which disturbs the shrimps. you can try bigger shrimps like amano shrimps.
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Any recommendation of any type of shrimps that can live in peace with cardinal te

Hi, thanks for your advise, but i also heard that if the shrimps are too big, they might just grab the fish to eat at night when the fishes are resting at the bottom. Is that true?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

haha, i don't think the shrimps is able to hunt the fishes. amano shrimp will eat algae and only dying fishes which lays on the bottom of the tank. what you mention is those crayfish. i saw a CPO nibble at one of my CRS before.
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by nick_tks View Post
    Hi, thanks for your advise, but i also heard that if the shrimps are too big, they might just grab the fish to eat at night when the fishes are resting at the bottom. Is that true?
    My ghost shrimps which are about 3cm size will hunt for rummy nose during light off. Witness in a few occasions and I have to take them out.
    Last edited by Wahlin; 15th Mar 2010 at 17:06.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have seen my neon treta being eaten by my yamato shrimp before during light off... I took them out and put them with my betta fish and only left 1 in the tank now. In the end, the betta fish taken them all...

Lastly, i have cherry shrimps in the tank with my neon tetra now. They seem to be getting along.
    Last edited by like wind; 16th Mar 2010 at 02:35.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ya, i've heard about yamato shrimps attacking small fishes like cardinal and neon tetras during lights off... that's the worrying part... haha... thats why i'm thinking of getting some shrimps that have strips of red and white.... Are these crystal red shrimps?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

your cardinal or neon probably will be the one eating the CRS offspring

I never experience yamato attacking other fish, except when fighting for food.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I second that, my Sakura seems fine with Cardinal. Population of the shrimps is growing dispite living together with Cardinal.

But I always make sure my Cardinal is well fed and also make lots of hiding place for my Sakuras.

Can always see 20+ Sakura grazing openly with the Cardinal swimming over them but when I feed my Cardinal, I can see the a lots more shrimps coming out from all over the plants and moses and picking out all the sinking pellets that my Cardinal missed.

I can't gurantee that the Cardinal is not picking on the shrimplet but as long as the population of the shrimps is growing, I feel that it is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by like wind View Post
    I have seen my neon treta being eaten by my yamato shrimp before during light off... I took them out and put them with my betta fish and only left 1 in the tank now. In the end, the betta fish taken them all...

Lastly, i have cherry shrimps in the tank with my neon tetra now. They seem to be getting along.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

A general rule of thumb is "Big fish eats small shrimp and Big shrimp eats small fish".

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You just have to make sure you have a lot of hiding place for the shrimp (cherry, bee, or etc small shrimp) and its outspring, like moss wall or lot of java moss. Then, they will be ok.
    It's natural that the fish will eat the offspring of the shrimp. But, they will grow and have more shrimp faster than your fish.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, the bad thing now is i cant see any offsprings of my fire red and cherry although i got more than a dozen of them in my tank now. I really wondered if my cardinal are eating the shrimplets, but when i'm feeding my cardinal, none of them seemed interested in the food...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wood shrimps, Atyopsis family. Tetra safe and too big to be attacked by most small fishes.
    I have seen ghost shrimps and even yamato attacking smaller tetras. And Bigger tetras attacking ghost and yamato.
    Cherry shrimps are always being eaten by even my smaller tetras, until I gave them away.
    My fish friends --------------------------------
    1 goldfish tank
    1 discus tank