Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: could i add an oscar??

could i add an oscar??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am wanting some advise...

I have a 125G/500L tank (6'x1.6'x1.6') with the following fish in there currently: (all get along)

2x silver sharks (6" and 7")
    1x black ghost knife (9")
    1x red tailed black shark (5")

Temp: 26 degrees celcius
    Filtration: Eheim Pro 2028 canister and Internal Rio 1800l/ph power filter.
    Ph: 7.0 - 7.4
    Tank decorations: gravel is 'aqua-sand' (not really sand but fine gravel), large pieces of wood and Java moss.
    Maintenance: 40-50% water change every week.
    (can view the tank here)
    I have always liked Oscars and was wondering if I could add one to this setup? (i dont want to get rid of any current fish). Some people say they are agressive, others say they are not. I assume this just depends on the fish. A LFS claims his oscars tend not to be agressive as he houses them in a large tank full of varied fish (actually has silver sharks in it) in the store...

I would also like to add possibly all or a combination of the following fish: 2 pictus catfish, 1 or 2 gold severums and maybe 3 or 4 clown loaches, do you think these would also be ok in there?

Any advise/comments welcome.
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    no harm trying but provided that ur new fishes r ard the same size as ur old fish... accept for the oscar and mine u the oscar is a very aggressive fish..

----------------
    On 2/5/2002 11:02:14 AM

I am wanting some advise...

I have a 125G/500L tank (6'x1.6'x1.6') with the following fish in there currently: (all get along)

2x silver sharks (6" and 7&quot
    1x black ghost knife (9&quot
    1x red tailed black shark (5&quot

Temp: 26 degrees celcius
    Filtration: Eheim Pro 2028 canister and Internal Rio 1800l/ph power filter.
    Ph: 7.0 - 7.4
    Tank decorations: gravel is 'aqua-sand' (not really sand but fine gravel), large pieces of wood and Java moss.
    Maintenance: 40-50% water change every week.
    (can view tank at www.geocities.com/aquarealmau)

I have always liked Oscars and was wondering if I could add one to this setup? (i dont want to get rid of any current fish). Some people say they are agressive, others say they are not. I assume this just depends on the fish. A LFS claims his oscars tend not to be agressive as he houses them in a large tank full of varied fish (actually has silver sharks in it) in the store...

I would also like to add possibly all or a combination of the following fish: 2 pictus catfish, 1 or 2 gold severums and maybe 3 or 4 clown loaches, do you think these would also be ok in there?

Any advise/comments welcome.
    Thanks.
    ----------------

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oscars are very funny fish with loads of character.
    Some are indeed terrors in a tank , others docile as a pigeon.

I guess it really depends on the fish you purchase at the store.
    I know some breeders in order to get the fish to be more peaceful in a community tank , crowd them from young so they are accustomed to having lots of smaller tank mates around them without thinking them as food.

The current inhabitants of your tank seem fine , as least the bala sharks will be fast enuff to ward off potential attacks and so will the RTB shark. The knife i aint too sure as they seem rather motionless most of the time.
    But nonetheless seems you got pretty big guys in there , so i guess getting a smaller oscar would be fine.

As for your other potential additions :
    2 pictus catfish, 1 or 2 gold severums and maybe 3 or 4 clown loaches

The catfish will do fine and so will the clown loaches provided they have ample hiding places in the tank. The severums however might pose a problem given they are rather timid and hence might be resorted to attacks by the oscar.

Like i said b4 , depends pretty much on the fish.
    The tank size you got is pretty spacey , so that shouldnt pose a problem.
    Setup is nice too and water parameters nice

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    black ghost and shark both gets a little aggressive as they grow bigger. but your tank size can support.

If you want to add clown loaches, add bigger ones.
    with these, i will not add pictus anymore.
    you need hiding space below.

oscars do better in a group. You can do with a pair(you can have non breeding pairs) or even 3 oscars.(that will be crowded) Fish temperment is largely inheritary, no external factors can change that.

SIlver sharks are negligible in presence except for their contribution to waste.

Large severums are perfect.

i see your current filtration is unable to handle the tank size and potential fish stock.
    You must commit yourself to either very high powered filtration and frequent changes. And more often then not, it will be both. i est with what you have in mind, you need abt twice of what your 2028 can do now.
    Oscars do produce more solid waste than fish of equivalent size. By frequent water change, i am talking abt abt 40-50% maximum 5 days interval.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    HEy nicole...
    Oscars tend to be one of the less aggressive American cichlids, when compared to GT's, Texas ect...
    I think that a single, small oscar should be fine.
    Try to get as small as possible, 3" would be a good size, and let it grow up with the fish...
    The severums...they are very docile, and it could encounter some problems with the oscar...
    Pictus cats - i wouldnt.
    Clowns - if you do, get them as big as possible.
    Mez
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    think severums will do very well with oscars.
    festivums too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Lsz,
    Severums maybe, but festivums...hm...you mght be able to get away with it because of tyank size, but festivums are VERY shy and timid...i suppose it could work if you got them both small and let them grow up together..
    Mez
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    they are ok

shy or timid depends on tank settings.

i've done many fish with oscar the only fish left is discus.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i suggest adding ur oscars the last coz they tend to attack newer additions in the tank once they(oscars) are larger than 4 inches especially shy ones [:]
    To The World You May Be 1 Person
    But To 1 Person You May Be The World!
    Pacific_Flame