Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help with Crab ID

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I would like to strongly urge anyone who has collected any living organisms, from any other countries, not to release them into the natural areas of Singapore. Firstly, no one can be absolutely sure what species are being released without an identification from a taxonomic expert on that particular group of organism. Secondly, the introduced organism may not be part of Singapore's biological composition and might cause ecological issues if later found to undermine the ecological balance of their habitat. Thirdly, no one knows whether these organisms are carrying diseases that might spread them in our natural habitats. Lastly, collection of organisms in any countries require paperwork (collection permit), and to bring in organisms into Singapore requires an import permit from AVA.
    Last edited by guqin; 20th Mar 2010 at 19:24.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I cannot even recognize some of the fishes I see in the reservoirs and the ponds at marina bay sands. They are definitely not native. Never seen them before when I used to catch fishes in the drains and ponds in the 80s

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Do not release alien species into Singapore's habitats

True, however, its an old fact that non-native species have long been established in Singapore. Snakeheads, guppies and that cute catfish you see in the shops are all 'invaders' into our man-made canals, ponds and reservoirs. The true enedemic aquatic life in Singapore are mostly endangered or extinct(in this country) due to habitat loss, draining of waterways(government project to provide for the humans) and escaped pets. Did you know that 50 years ago in Singapore, catching fishes that escaped from fish farms in your longkang is very common? And to think we were worried about invasive species...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for your information, guqin.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    Does this make sense: ~Imperfect Past equals future tense~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Do not release alien species into Singapore's habitats

I live along and have fished in the Kallang River on and off for the last 20 something years, in the last few years I've seen Koi, Terrapins, Parrot Cichlids, Luo Han in the river. The largest fish populations now seem to consist of mainly Catfish, Tilapia and Snakeheads with the occasional Peacock Bass.