Images
    Country
    Singapore

Fresh Newbie here setting up a tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hiya guys. I am new to this hobby (ok, my family used to have a tank for a goldfish a few years ago) and I was planning to set up a tank.I hope you guys can help out.

I have a 2 feet tank, with a power filter (Dyna brand, not sure about the GPH) and a blue fluorescent light in the hood. I am planning to have a couple of guppies and rummy-nose, together with SAE or shrimps. I was planning to have artificial plants in the tank, instead of live plants, as not really experienced. Good Idea?

Are there any shops that sell realistic artificial plants which are value for money?or should i go for live plants? Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Fresh Newbie here setting up a tank

If going for live plants, I dun think u should use ur blue light. get a stronger wattage, and preferably white light.

Most, if not all, LFS sells artificial plants haha.. Shouldn't be a problem to find them..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Talking Re: Fresh Newbie here setting up a tank

Quote Originally Posted by v_nod View Post
    Hiya guys. I am new to this hobby (ok, my family used to have a tank for a goldfish a few years ago) and I was planning to set up a tank.I hope you guys can help out.

I have a 2 feet tank, with a power filter (Dyna brand, not sure about the GPH) and a blue fluorescent light in the hood. I am planning to have a couple of guppies and rummy-nose, together with SAE or shrimps. I was planning to have artificial plants in the tank, instead of live plants, as not really experienced. Good Idea?

Are there any shops that sell realistic artificial plants which are value for money?or should i go for live plants? Any advice? Thanks in advance!
    Artificial plants ! I hate them very much . Anyway I don't think you can get any artificail plants that looks realistic. They ara all very plastic. Since you got light, why don't just throw in some Java Fern. They are cheaper than the plastic plant I guess.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Java fern, is it tolerant of beginner mistakes? any otherplants for beginners? haha I just don't want the plants to start rotting due to my mistakes.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Java fern, is it tolerant of beginner mistakes? any otherplants for beginners? haha I just don't want the plants to start rotting due to my mistakes.
    you can try with plants like moss (java moss, spiky moss, etc) and ferns (java fern, windelov, narrow fern etc) just tie it up to a wood and you are good to go. these plants are low light plants (1wpg - 1.5wpg)

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the advice! I'll consider live plants, will read up on the moss and ferns..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Having some simple live plants is a good thing to consider, it adds to the atmosphere and the tank can even be easier to maintain in some cases. It also adds the joy to this hobby

Agree with white light. Another pointer would be to use aqua soil, e.g ADA or Gex. It is better aesthetically, Is better for shrimps and fish and helps in plant growth
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

So the aqua soil will substitute the substrate? or do i have to place a layer of something else on top of it?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

So the aqua soil will substitute the substrate? or do i have to place a layer of something else on top of it?
    If you only plan for simple low light plants like moss and ferns, you can go without soil.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Wahlin View Post
    If you only plan for simple low light plants like moss and ferns, you can go without soil.
    Haha I'm not very sure what you're trying to say..Let me try..So if I want to grow low light plants, plain gravel or sand is sufice, and that I don't have to put the Aqua Soil?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, you can put it that way, as they take-in (Co2/nutrition) very slowly with low light, you fish uneaten food/wast (nutrition) will support they're grow as well, but note this.. they will grow very slow (low tech setup).
    20+10 Gallon Tank Link | Light55w(PL) and Light13w(PL) | Normal Filter800L/per.hr | 3xDriftwood

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Haha I'm not very sure what you're trying to say..Let me try..So if I want to grow low light plants, plain gravel or sand is sufice, and that I don't have to put the Aqua Soil?
    What I mean is you need not plant your moss or fern into substrate that is why you don't need gravel, sand or aqua soil. Tie them on rock, wood and drop into you fish tank. But of course with substrate your fish tank will look better.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Live plants for me!
    As said earlier, since you have light why not get live plants?
    Can try flame moss, spiky moss or any others to choose from.

If you spend a little more, can try fissidens
    They have slow growth but looks very nice...very green
    Try US fissidens

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks so much for your advice guys..I was reading up on the non-CO2 method as well..So i might place aqua soil and the plants, but without CO2..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

non- Co2 low tech is much better if you wish to maintain a aquarium long term, with less work and be able to grow plants. High tech setups are usually to achieve desirable rate of plant growth to acheive beautiful and lush aquascapes
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jiajuen900 View Post
    non- Co2 low tech is much better if you wish to maintain a aquarium long term, with less work and be able to grow plants. High tech setups are usually to achieve desirable rate of plant growth to acheive beautiful and lush aquascapes
    What you said is something I agree with. I would prefer the non-CO2 setup..Thanks!