Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

BBA in my Non CO2 Excel supplemented tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello everyone. I had recentely started a 4 foot non co2 excel supplemented tank. And within a week's time my foreground anubias petite nanas are having BBAs on them. These are my tank's details :

Tank size : 48 inches length by 19 inches width by 17.5 inches height. (69 US gallons)

Substrate : AS Africana

Cannister filters : Eheim Pro 2 (2080) and Eheim Pro 3 (the largest one)

Lights: 3 numbers of T5 tubes having 28 watts each ( Total watts = 84)

WPG ratio : 1.2

Plants : Vallisneria natans ( bad choice which i realised later since I was supplementing with Excel), Ceratopteris thalictroides in the background, Myriophyllum aquaticum,mayaca fluviatilis,Hygrophila polysprema var and MYriophyllum tuberculatum in the mid ground and I have anubias nana petite tied to small rocks as foreground plant. My plant mass is a lot.

The tank is just 9 days old. No occupants yet. The problem that I am facing is I am having some BBAs on some of the anubias since the last 3 days. The rest of the tank is growing in well. No algaes.

I removed the affected anubias and placed them in a small container and dosed them with Excel & left them for a day and today I put them back into the tank. I also manually removed some of the off the leaves and some leaves I had to cut off. There's still one or two leaves which still has a bit of BBA on them. Some of the leaves have turned a light green I hope they recover soon.

I also tied steel mosquitoe nettings over the lights TODAY in order to decrease the light intensity. If I switched off one of my T5 lights my WPG ratio drops very low to 0.8 WPG. That's why I kept all 3 lights & put mosquito nettings over them.

Also I plan to place some white plastic sheet above the tank and under the lights JUST TO DECREASE LIGHT INTENSITY IN THE FOREGROUND AREA.

1. Heeeeeellllllppppp!!!!!!!!
    2. Am I doing the right thing here?
    Last edited by micardiz; 27th Mar 2010 at 00:58.
    The joy of learning overwhelms me.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Re: BBA in my Non CO2 Excel supplemented tank

Hi again. I was hoping to get some help. Could someone kindly let me know if I am doing the right thing here? Any advice is considered a lot. I really put in a lot of effort in setting up my tank,....not to mention the money saved for it for a year!!! Please help.
    The joy of learning overwhelms me.