Thread: PMDD in Singaproe

Feedback Score

PMDD in Singaproe

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello all,

I've read extensively about nutrient control in planted tanks and quite confident in getting everything in balance properly.

So, where can I get raw ingredients for PMDD?

TO complement PMDD, any suggestions as to which test kits are recommended to check for P,K & Fe?

I've tried searching in the archives (I've read it before a year back in AR but can't find it anymore).

Anyone got any opinions on this?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You can go to our retail outlet at

Block 462A #01-K1
    Crawford Lane
    Singapore - 190462

Shop Tel: 294-6578 (Mr.Fong)

The singaporehydroponics.com page will be up soon. The service provider
    collapsed and I am now in the process of fixing it again.

You can get the trace element mix or better still our own formulation for
    aquatic life. The composition is similar to PMDD. It is selling at $ 8.50
    per 500 ml bottle. It is 100 times concentrated - value for your money!
    However, you can share with me if you want. bring along 3 containers. 1 being a bottle for liquid.

I've got.
    EDTA iron
    Kno3
    MgSO4
    Trace element mix.

if you have K2SO4 or you can get it ^^ from above (call and see). then we'll split as well

Feedback Score
    Actually, my interest in PMDD is several-fold.

1) To experiment (and hopefully publish in this forum) possible algae control methods via X-nutrient limitation.
    2) Better plant grow....
    3) I enjoy experimenting ....

It would be great if I could split it with you! My preference is if K,N & P can be added separately instead of a pre-mixed PMDD, so thus I can tailor make the solution to compensate the limited nutrient in my tank.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've already got the main components as can be seen.

I've just emailed dr mallick asking for the composition of his trace element mix and aquatic plant mix.

cos I also get bba from using his aquatic plant mix, so its possible it has some undesirable ingredient or I'm overdosing. (or it could be unrelated)

Feedback Score
    BBA? Have a check at your Fe and NO3 content in your water. Perhaps too much CO2 injection(thou unlikely). Or overdose of a particular nutrient; which I suspect Fe due to several lengthy reasons.

If you must add Fe to your tank, add it directly into the substrate. BBA algae soaks up iron directly from the water. I do have some nutrient-related recommendations for BBA, but I have to understand your tank before giving out credible advise.

I suppose it would be very important to know the content and its concentrations before dosing.

By the way, where did u get your KNO3. I need some very urgently before BGA wreaks havoc in my tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    from dr mallick as well.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/5/2002 4:40:38 PM

cos I also get bba from using his aquatic plant mix, so its possible it has some undesirable ingredient or I'm overdosing. (or it could be unrelated)

----------------
    what's desirable for one tank may not be desirable for another
    for example, we say his mix is perfectly balanced for aquatic plants
    however, what if there's something excess in your tank already?
    then the nutrient balance will be out of wack again, and you'll get algae anyway

the best form of algae management is to let your plants do the work
    giving them a 'helping' hand in the form of PMDD is best done in experimental small tanks, not your main tank
    only after you've worked out the kinks, then do you add it to your display tank
    personally, i find adding some all-in-one fert and some potassium supplement does well enough

Feedback Score
    DEA has the exact same sentiments as I have. Water params do vary from tank to tank and individual to individual. As such only those do dare, wins! But as you said, off-the-shelf ferts & K supplements did well for you, but not for someone else. So, K-supps may not work for me. (Actually, my tank is N-limited)

Experimenting on nutrients deficiency can and may produce enhanced algae explosion. But only with a true understanding on experimental techniques and an analytical mind can make the process a whole lot more fruitful. With proper understanding and knowledge of the exact tank params, excellent algae control even with understaffed algae army is possible.

In the long term, thorough understanding on fertilisation chemistry can prove to be cost effective. It not only enhances growth, but can actually reduce algae to almost nil.

Cheers in all respects!

Anyone in this forum had PMDD experiences before, care to share?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i doubt you'll get many positive responses
    jacian had algae blooms after using the pmdd
    the problem with pmdd is that it requires repetitive testing of phosphates and nitrates, and you'll also need a keen eye and extensive experience with the plants in question to know what trace elements they're lacking or could do better with

either you make it or you break it
    join the SAS who dares wins

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm fairly certain I have a nutrient dificiency somewhere.
    not sure which though.

I supplement with co2, strong lights.
    but my new APP leaves are bright yellow. and I have bba. I supplement daily with 1 drop of fe gluconate.

I feed 3 - 4 blood worm cubes daily.
    bioload is heavy.

so probably a K or N ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    bioload heavy implies your N is abundant
    K or any of the trace elements
    try flourish

Feedback Score
    I agree with DEA.... probably K deficient and perhaps Fe abundant. Stay put with Fe & increase K for the moment although I may suspect Fe excess. Perhaps you could observe the plants and tally with a chart containing the "COMMON SYMPTOMS OF NUTRIENT DEFICIENCY IN AQUATIC PLANTS" (http://www.voicenet.com/~dietsch/defici~1.html)

Besides, BBA does tend to excel in abundant N & P & sometimes Fe-abundant tanks.

My advise:
    1) Increase K and observe if BBA is reduced for say a week, after which subsequently if no improvement of plants
    2) Decrease Fe by 50% and observe till plants are growing fine.

The aim is to allow your plants to out-compete the algae for nutrients. But of course supplement with water changes, physical clearing of BBA etc. It can be quite a few weeks so.....keep on observing.

[:]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok: Dr Mallick's Formula has a name now.

its called LushGro for Aquatic Plants.
    Dosage: 1 -5 drops per 10 liters, 1 - 2 times a month.
    along with the peculiar: Never add more than 5 drops at a time.
    Code:
    in g/litre
    N 7.179
    K 51.711
    S 16.667
    Mg 2.942
    Fe EDTA 1.683
    Mn 0.612
    Boron 0.314
    Zn 0.092
    Cu 0.025
    Molybdenum 0.016
    other minerals & vitamins : traces

Feedback Score
    Great! Well looks like your BBA is also growing very "lush-ciously"....(sorry, souldn't help it)

Anyway, do it the nutrient tweak a try and observe for results..... it might take a long time...... so be patient.

I'll probably meet up with you after CNY; if my work commitments are ok. Cya

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah. dr mallick also has k2so4.