Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Pond Problem & New Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, few things i need to ask about.. I am a fish lover and recently i hope to get into aqua scaping with shrimps. But need to clear a few problem with my pond. I have 1 pond and a tank ... Tank is doing well with 6 Silver dollars =)

Pond Issue :

My outdoor pond has been with me for the last 5yrs, recently after my biggest sucker fish died, my koi kept dying in the pond as well. I decided to kept the pond empty other than small fishes for 1 month before trying to keep koi again, but it still perished under my care =(. i haven really fully clean the whole pond for a while, only just replaced evaporated water.

I have no clear idea what the problem .. i thought a few that maybe some of you can help me with.

1. Temperature maybe too high, the pond faces the sun from 1p.m - 4p.m ... not sure if it kills my koi.
    2. Bacteria may still be inside, if so how to get rid of it.
    3. May bird attacks as my pond is on the 2nd floor only =O

I just decided to keep parrot fish to see the results, but less than a day, they (3 of them) started to hide near the sucker for the filters ... is there something wrong with them ??

Pics below on my pond.

Creating a New Tank:

After seeing so many people doing aqua scaping, i wanna give a go too, but my location for the tank will be in my room.. The room hardly gets air and sunlight as i dun usually open the windows.

The tank is suitable at my table together with my hi fi set and my work area. Is is a suitable place for tank to be there ?? i plan to get a rougly 45 X 30 X 35cm tanks keeping shimps.

What are the basic equipment. Is CO2 and Chiller needed ??
    I got some fine gravel, will it be ideal for the based of the tank, will it promote growth of the plants ???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Pond Problem & New Tank

with regard to creating a new tank, using gravel is possible, but probably better to grow plants with a better substrate. usually people use GEX or ADA substrate. alternative is to put root ferts into your gravel, will be fine also. as for keeping shrimps, usually a chiller is needed, but a fan may be acceptable as well, depending on the sensitivity of the type of shrimp you intend to keep. whether or not CO2 injection is needed depends on your light wattage and the type of plants you wish to grow.

if you need more advice, you can ask more specific questions to get more specific answers. hope this helps!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

That is a filter rated for 1.5 ft tank right? I ask this so I have a clearer understanding of your ponds dimension, so it is approximately 1.5x1.5 and it also looks rather shallow, so the volume of water is quite low. Because of low water volume temperature will fluctuate quickly (especially as it is exposed to the sun) this may be enough to kill a cool water loving fish like a koi.

Because of the low water volume, ammonia will spike, especially when you just add in a large fish (like a koi) It would not be so bad if you grew it up from a small size because the filter will mature with the fish, to compensate for the increasing bioload. I would suggest keeping smaller fishes in the pond.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,

For the pond is rough 20 inch by 20 inch .. and the depth is less than 6 inch ... Very shallow... For the koi i bought .. they are usually super small. Like those that can be bought at 3 for $10 .. kind below 8 inch for each koi ... Is it okie to keep koi den ??

If not, how abt parrot fish or gold fish in the pond ?

For the new tank i am planning ... i planning to grow those grass type plant and maybe hydrilla or something. .. i no expert, what are your takes on what plant i should put inside without using the C02 ...

I saw one guy uses his fish waste from the filter to act as the fertilizer for the base of the tanks before adding the gravels, can do the same ???

Lastly, any recommendation on chiller for small tanks that can be bought at clementi ?? i am a regualur customer there =)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi you already have 3 parrot fish inside right? I won't recommend you adding another fish actually, parrot fish can get big quite quickly and are almost bulletproof, an extra koi might be pushing it. For grass like aquatic plants, I would recommend dwarf sword plants for the grass like look and its ability to b grown well without CO2. the filter waste is propably for seeding the gravel with beneficial bacteria. Chiller is not necessary unless you want to breed CRS, you could cool the water down as well with a fan. Most shrimp breed okay at our ambient room temperature.