2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Tanins from bogwood

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I was wondering if the tanins from driftwood hurt fishes?

I have just set up a tank a few days ago and placed a piece of driftwood in it...suddenly the water started slowly turning yellowish. I then remembered that when I had it in my large tank years ago, it did the same thing. I assumed that after all these years sitting dry in my balcony that it would no longer do this but nope. Yellow..very light yellow so far.

I don't mind the colour, quite nice actually but will it hurt fish? Since I only have to albino cories in it now, what fish are best suited for a tank like this?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Tanins from bogwood

nope. don't worry.. if your fishes like lower PH, this might help as well some people are tiring to recreate this yellow'ing color by adding black-water/Ketapang extract and some are tiring to clear the it away lol.. if you don't mind just let it be, by the way it will slowly clear off sooner or later (day/week/month)... who knows lol...
    20+10 Gallon Tank Link | Light55w(PL) and Light13w(PL) | Normal Filter800L/per.hr | 3xDriftwood

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Not sure if it will ever stop leeching tanins. I had the same driftwood in my tank years ago and it kept leeching the stuff for the entire life of the tank (over 2 years). After getting rid of the tank, I kept the driftwood dried for about a year. Soaked it in boiling water for a while before putting it in my tank...and the tank is filled with lipton tea again. So I'm pretty resigned to having that hue in the water for a long time. Just want to make sure it won't hurt anything I add.

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

black water fishes would love this driftwood in their tank...
    lifeisfullofemptypromisesandbrokendreams
    Hypancistrus and Tanganyikan cichlids breeding