1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Do we need to wash used soil?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I bought some used aquatic soil that had been used for 1 year & another is a used tank with used soil for around 2 years. Do i need to wash them before we use them again? I know there's lots of kind Bro. & Sis that will help me with this questions! Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Do we need to wash used soil?

What kind of soil is it?

If it's like ADA Aquasoil, do not wash.

If it's like normal gravel (hard), wash it, but it's not necessary.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Soil that is 1 - 2 years old likely has not much pH lowering capability or soil nutrients remaining, depending on how heavily planted the previous tank was. You can probably just wash it without losing too much, also you might want to consider supplementing it with base fertilizer or tablets too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ya i think its ADA. I know we dont wash them when they're new but i think it should be fill will lots of debris & stuffs so i ask. But its still okay to use them again right? I agree that i should add some supplements, any recommendations?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Will it be better to replace With new soil instead?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Whether it's used ADA or new ADA, just don't wash it otherwise what you will get is mud. The debris won't matter imho. You can just lay the soil and suck up any surface debris when the tank is running.

Old ADA is fine, you just need to be more disciplined in adding fertilisers via the water as the plants don't have their backup ferts in the soil.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

do not wash it, used ADA soil normally will cause cloudy water due to the mud. just be patient when that happen, Put fine filter wool in your filter to trap the mud. It should clear up after few weeks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Please see if the granules have broken down. If you see a lot of powdered materials, you will get lot of murky water when you use them.

You might wish to sieve them first to remove the broken down soils particles. Depending on what type of ADA soil that you have, the NH4 (ammonium) may have been exhausted. As mentioned, we do not wash ADA soil.

You may wish to consider to laying Powersand at the base before adding the used soil over it. This is to buffer against the soil particles that has become mud, suffocating the roots later on. It also allows the roots system to establish themselves quickly with the aid of added liquid fertilizers.

To make the final layout look nice, top up with a new 3 L pack of ADA soil, as it also helps to hold the exhausted soil particles from clouding the water too much.

cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

want to ask, is it possible to add more soil to a tank already filled with water?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yeap it is. I've done it before with Aquasoil. Just scoop the soil with your hands and slide it gently into the water at the area where you want to add soil to. Some granules will be floating, just gently tap on them and they sink.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

[QUOTE=Biotopeshop]
    Thank you very much, you got all the answers to my questions in my mind! So, power sand at the base then my old soil then new soil on top! that's what i'll do! Sorry to ask again but for a 4ft tank how much power sand will i need? Do i also need to add other fertilizers to the base besides your recommendation of liquid? I have intention of growing HC as the floor??

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yup thanks to all your input here & suggestions! Of course, i would rather use all new soil but you all should know how much they'll cost right? Furthermore I'm setting up 2 new 4 feet tanks at the same time! Both planted, on a low budget! However, the normal requirements will not be sacrifice of course. Now I'm thinking, how long can ADA soil or even other aquatic soil lasts? If we keep them untouch in a tank & is there a difference if i will to switch them into another tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by |squee| View Post
    Yeap it is. I've done it before with Aquasoil. Just scoop the soil with your hands and slide it gently into the water at the area where you want to add soil to. Some granules will be floating, just gently tap on them and they sink.
    thank you for teaching =D

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by |squee| View Post
    Hi just curious, Ive done before too but what if its a large amount of soil.

When i rescape i want to create a steep slope? Can it be done? Will there be ammonia spike?

thanks
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

[quote=bigfthing;532025]
    Quote Originally Posted by Biotopeshop
    Thank you very much, you got all the answers to my questions in my mind! So, power sand at the base then my old soil then new soil on top! that's what i'll do! Sorry to ask again but for a 4ft tank how much power sand will i need? Do i also need to add other fertilizers to the base besides your recommendation of liquid? I have intention of growing HC as the floor??
    For a 4ft tank, you will require either 3 x 2ltr Powersand M, or 1 x 6lit Powersand Special M. In general, you can use just only the Powersand or Powersand Special M, but there are other important ingredients that can further boost your root system. You can pm us to find out more.

Growing HC is easy using the ADA substrate system, however, you might need a chiller to grow them nice and lush.

Best regards

Thio

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bigfthing View Post
    Yup thanks to all your input here & suggestions! Of course, i would rather use all new soil but you all should know how much they'll cost right? Furthermore I'm setting up 2 new 4 feet tanks at the same time! Both planted, on a low budget! However, the normal requirements will not be sacrifice of course. Now I'm thinking, how long can ADA soil or even other aquatic soil lasts? If we keep them untouch in a tank & is there a difference if i will to switch them into another tank?
    In general, all soils can last for 2 - 3 years. If you do rescape them often, they will breakdown faster. Those tanks in ADA Gallery at Niigata have there for more than 3 years, the ecosystems in the tank remain intact.
    It is not advisable to remove or disturb the soils after you have done your layout.

Best regards

Thio

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yup it's in an air con room. Maybe i'll dropby your shop to get them tommorow. Also, the old soil i got i think the person that gave them to me for a small token said they were ADA Africana mix with peat moss. Not a problem i hope? I intend to do a scape similar to the one you have at the entrance of your shop. Will it cost more if i get the HC ordered from you & the Powersand?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bigfthing View Post
    Yup it's in an air con room. Maybe i'll dropby your shop to get them tommorow. Also, the old soil i got i think the person that gave them to me for a small token said they were ADA Africana mix with peat moss. Not a problem i hope? I intend to do a scape similar to the one you have at the entrance of your shop. Will it cost more if i get the HC ordered from you & the Powersand?
    ADA Africana is already low in pH, so we cannot comment further why peat moss was added. Please inform Victor of your requirement and he can help to make the necessary order. If there are queries regarding our display tank, please feel free to call us.

cheers

Thio

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

one uncle from a LFS told me that if you wash the old soil, you need to dry them under the sun first before putting into the tank...

I was like might as well buy a new bag... so much work. I think if the soil is dirty from the seller, i would choose not to buy it. If it is clean enough, do not wash it. =)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If we use sand for scaping,we need to put soil under the sand?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast