Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better to have air pump for non-CO2 enriched tank, or not?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Better to have air pump for non-CO2 enriched tank, or not?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, all. This question has never really crossed my mind seriously as I am having a CO2 enriched tank. I do use the air pump with a timer at night though.

However, I would like to know if it is a good idea to run an air pump in a non-CO2 enriched tank during the photo-period, or might as well run it 24-7.

My thinking is this:

Since there isn't CO2 being pumped into the tank, running the air pump will not decrease CO2 concentration which CO2 enriched tank keepers avoid.

Even though the fauna do not need the extra aeration, there is no harm in it, and furthermore, the low percentage of CO2 in the air pumped in will help the plant by preventing a total depletion, am I correct?

Thank you for any feedback or discussion on this minor issue.

Note: This thread is not about whether it is necessary to have air pump, but rather on whether it is better or not to have one in a non-CO2 enriched planted tank, albeit the difference in effect is minute.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Better to have air pump for non-CO2 enriched tank, or not?

I like to aerate my tanks 24/7, now that I've stopped using CO2 for the time being.

Especially in the warmer tanks, my critters don't seem to mind it at all. The only harm I see this causing is a very minor increase in my power bill, heh.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Fishes do contribute to the co2 level in your tank, so do the plants during lights off.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

So does adding aeration to the tank reduces CO2 from the contribution of fauna and flora or does it add a little bit of CO2 to a CO2 depleted tank?

I am still not sure....Maybe need to measure to confirm.....But I think the difference is too little to be measured.....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I think you should not run an air pump, try to keep the surface as still as possible.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the advice, bossteck. Any reason for that?

Anyone with a different opinion?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Have some surface movement if you care about the fish. This
    brings in some oxygen and prevents it from getting too low if the plants
    do not do well. I doubt you can get oxygen saturation beyond 100% in a non co2 environment.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you, Peter, for the advice. I share the same sentiments regarding bringing in some oxygen for the tank.

When you say oxygen saturation, do you mean pearling? I am not hopeful for that in a non-CO2 enriched tank, though I do see some air bubbles appearing on the leaves of the plants in a non-CO2 enriched tank right after water changes. Could be due to the increase in CO2 from the tap water stimulating O2 production, or the mini air bubbles from the water being poured in gathering to form larger bubbles (like the air bubbles on the inner sides of cups when we pour in water?).

Back to the topic: So would you agree to having the air pump to provide some CO2 for the plants, just as it provides some O2 for the fish?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You do not need an air pump to have some surface current. Just use your filter and direct the output to move the surface water and then watch the fish. If they are not gasping early in the morning before lights are on, you have enough oxygen for the fish.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Ok, that I am doing.

Anyone can advice whether having an air pump on during photo-period actually adds in a little bit of CO2, or not, in a non-CO2 enriched tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Maybe you can add aeration after a couple of hours into the photoperiod. That is when the CO2 from the overnight buildup gets depleted.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I am thinking of having it on throughout the night, off it an hour or two before lights on, then off and on during the photo-period. Not sure if it is logical...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

For planted tanks, you should not do aeration as the extra oxygen will oxidise your nutrients and the plants will not be able to absorb them, you should concentrate on making your plants healthy so that they could provide the necessary oxygen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for your advise. But somehow it does not sound logical to me. Since the plants are producing oxygen, wouldn't that oxidise the nutrients also? Thanks if you are able to clarify and clear my doubts.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Having some surface movement using a pump or powerhead would be beneficial to bring nutrients to the plants. The fish would also get some "exercise".

I have planted tanks with stagnant water. But the bioload is small. So it is still OK.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by gemo82 View Post
    Thanks for your advise. But somehow it does not sound logical to me. Since the plants are producing oxygen, wouldn't that oxidise the nutrients also? Thanks if you are able to clarify and clear my doubts.
    Well, I could only guess that it's a natural equlilibrium that the plants will not generate too much oxygen to harm themselves....not much of an explanation I know.......but the idea is not injecting any from outside source.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

But this does not sound right as there are many of us having planted tanks that pearl due to saturation of O2, which has definitely higher concentration of O2 than aerating with air pump will provide....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by gemo82 View Post
    But this does not sound right as there are many of us having planted tanks that pearl due to saturation of O2, which has definitely higher concentration of O2 than aerating with air pump will provide....
    I have managed to read up a bit as I know my previous answer was close to rubbish. It is possible that plants generate too much oxygen when there is a change in one of the factor, be it Co2, lights, nutrients. For example when you change a new light without adjusting the other factors, like Co2 and nutrient, your plants will have an increased kick in their growth pattern and this is when they generate too much oxygen.This is where the nutrients will be oxidated and become unavailable to plants or there will not be enough nutrients for the plants as the increase growth means more demand for nutrients. and when plants do not receive nutrient, their growth is impaired and so the list goes own until algae take over.

As for the pearling being more oxygen then aeration, I cannot comment as I do not have any numbers to back that up or contest against.

Again, there are several write up that do not recommend the use of aeration in planted tank, however, if you balance the other factors to meet the amount of oxygen in the tank, there is no guarantee against that not working.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Juggler: I have small beta moss tanks that are zero-tech, stagnant water also. As long as I don't give too much light, no algae. Moss is growing too, though upwards more than spreading. Still, I prefer and agree to your idea of having water movement: feels more natural and better for fengshui.

Newtank: I agree to you totally regarding the sudden increase in growth factor. It is just like when we do WC to a CO2 depleted tank, and we see pearling. Thus it is more important to have stable water parameters than one that fluctuates.

I also agree to not limiting nutrients for the plants, the fundamental theory behind EI.

I still do not understand the part about O2 oxidising the nutrients. Guess I got to read up more on oxidation of the nutrients with increased O2. Long forgotten my Chemistry...=p

Thanks for your input, as I have never considered the "harmful" effects of having more O2, focusing mainly on CO2, taking O2 for granted. Will read up on it.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Iron oxidize more than other nutrient, other nutrients oxidize very very little. If you notice the "iron bottle" shrink compare to other. IMO

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast