Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: No ammonia....is this a problem?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

No ammonia....is this a problem?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I just set up a 55 gal aquarium and am wondering if things are going like they should. I have 7 plants that have been in since the first day, and 9 inches of fish that have been in since the third day. It was cloudy for the first couple of days then it cleared up, and around day 6 it got a little cloudy again. I have been testing for ammonia but haven't had a positive reading yet, and this is day 9. The tank is running two filters, a top fin 60 and a penguin bio wheel 200. Water temp is 77 and ph is 7.4. Is something going wrong, should I be getting an ammonia reading yet? I have also tested nitrates and nitrites and had negative readings on both. Thanks for any help/advice!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: No ammonia....is this a problem?

Hi, KT

if these plant likely you will have hard time to get the ammonia/nitrites or even nitrates at start/or all the way, yeah... likely the plant uses them already.. don't worry.. the Nitrogen cycle will start somewhere slow and safe..

http://www.aquabotanic.com/plants_an...filtration.htm
    a bit wordy but to understand a bit on your issue

happy fish keeping
    20+10 Gallon Tank Link | Light55w(PL) and Light13w(PL) | Normal Filter800L/per.hr | 3xDriftwood

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You may put a few fish or shrimps in to increase the bio load and see if your filter can break them into nitrite efficiently.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Thank you both for the advice! I feel better about the tank now. I will keep adding fish slowly until I see an ammonia spike, and I has been wanting to add shrimp

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I would not recommend torturing livestock to check if your tank is cycled and stable.

What I'd recommend is to introduce an ammonia source to kickstart the cycle. A small piece of frozen shrimp or fish will do the trick, there are people who put some human urine into the tank, but I'd rather not use that method..

Confirm that there is an ammonia reading then wait a week or two before you test for ammonia and nitrites again.

When both Ammonia and Nitrites are undetectable, and you detect Nitrates, do a 25% - 50% water change and start slowly introducing your livestock.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Thank you for the hyperbole... I do not intend to torture anything, although I guess I may have. The local pet store today said that I have too few fish so my wife got some more, now we have 12 small fish. We have just been researching and taking more experienced peoples advice, which sometimes disagrees with each other. When I was told to get fish or shrimp I didn't understand that was referring to raw fish or shrimp.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I didn't mean for that to come across harshly, and I did get the impression that you didn't do it intentionally, but the toxicity of ammonia isn't hyperbole, even if the fauna can survive it.

Most of the experienced, responsible aquarists will recommend a cycling period of not less than 2 weeks for a freshwater tank. Any that recommend setting up a new tank and immediately populating it with livestock are to be regarded with suspicion.

The fact that you've bought test kits is a good indicator that you intend to provide a good environment for your livestock and that you understand the importance of water chemistry.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

I do appreciate your helping me with this. I think now that the ammonia is there just at a very low level. I am concerned for the fish and was thinking of doing 25% water change in case it is at a toxic level. Thank you for telling me how to spot a reputable shop too, I guess I just don't have a good local spot for advice

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If Ammonia is undetectable, you should most likely be ok, don't do a water change just yet, as the beneficial bacteria needs some ammonia to colonize your filters and surfaces.

You're not alone regarding the LFS though. It's very difficult for an LFS to balance their business concerns and the sharing of knowledge. I have not yet seen one that actually advises proper cycling periods for new tanks.

They usually cannot afford to tell people that they need to buy all this stuff and then wait 2 - 4 weeks for their tank to cycle. I am kinda sympathetic to the shops, because the average person really just doesn't have the patience.

A more cynical view would be that they can sell more livestock when people engage in trial and error.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I agree with fuzzy too.. i have a planted tank my self, i never get any reading on any of the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates during my 3 week cycle so i belief that all my plant are doing his job well (plant them self have bio load as well don't forget) KT, don't wait for the ammonia spike.. that will kill your fishes.. just keep low and let the natural do his part.. if 3 week later and both your plant and fishes are fine, and all ammonia, nitrites and nitrates reading are low, you are good to go
    20+10 Gallon Tank Link | Light55w(PL) and Light13w(PL) | Normal Filter800L/per.hr | 3xDriftwood