Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Gravel over aquasoil

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, I am planning for a rescape some time in May, and have been looking for new methods to improve the setup. I plan to do a low tech tank, and have some foreground plants such as Marsilea hirsuta, hairgrass, c.parva or APP, depending on which is suitable.

However the issue with foreground plants is that they are pretty hard to plant. As such, I plan to go with either ADA or GEX, and a layer of gravel on top, maybe Sudo sand or some other medium. The aquasoil or GEX will be laid first, sloping to the back, and the front part will be topped up with the fine sand particles to facilitate planting of foreground.

Are there any better suggestions? Because I think ADA aquasoil is pretty hard to work with, and I'm not sure if Power Sand would turn to muck, unsightly.

Thanks for the help!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Gravel over aquasoil

better to use ADA only or gravel only instead of ADA below gravel. Unless you put power sand below gravel. For ADA can try using ADA powder sand on top. It is alot smaller which makes it easier to plant in.
    Are you using tweezers or hand to plant?
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by taikiat View Post

Are there any better suggestions? Because I think ADA aquasoil is pretty hard to work with, and I'm not sure if Power Sand would turn to muck, unsightly.
    What problems do you face when you use ADA aquasoil? Powersand is hard, it will not breakdown, you cannot see them once you have covered them with aquasoil.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Many of us has successfully planting foreground plant on Aquasoil. Do you use tweezer to do the planting?
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hmm i might try, the problem with my aquasoil is that when i do slight rescapes, my shrimps will go through Holocaust due to the spike in nitrates. At least if i have a inert layer, i can control the stirring up of the substrate. Am asking this question cos i saw the LFS next to NA doing this, I think they put lapis sand over aquasoil. my mistake btw, I was referring to powder sand lol... not power sand, don't really need power sand since i'm doing low tech

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi i'll like to know too if any more advice comes along. thinking can i have gravel on top of GEX or have Gex on the front and back just gravel.

thanks for sharing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

what is the reason you want gravel on top of GEX? If you plan to plant any area in the tank, it is better to have aqua soil in that area. But if there are areas you want unplanted, and feel that aqua soil looks ugly, you can use gravel in that area instead.
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

oh..... though i add the gravel to don't turn the water cloudy if i try to catch the shrimp out from the tank. if it is only to make it nice i think i'll just skip it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Well... aqua soil will be cloudy at first but will usually clear after a few days (24hrs in my cases) and even if you disturb the subtrate, it will not get very cloudy. Will probably clear after a few minutes.
    But gravel over aquasoil not a problem too Its personal preference.

Note: with constant prunning and disturbing of subtrate, the aqua soil and gravel will mix eventually
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

thanks for all the help! i think in the end, im going to go with another setup... river sand over cocopeat. cheaper and seems to work well for some people

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Using aquasoil only is the best!