Thread: Tank pics

Feedback Score

Tank pics

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys,

Took some pics of my reef project, which started since June. Trying to post it here for viewing. In case of problems, the URL is here:

Link1

Link2

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

wah great work....i like it alot...LOTS OF NICE HARDS CORALSgot more than 10 diffrent species?
    care to tell us the spec abt ur tank

is tt argonite sand?[:]
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    nice nice how big is the tank?
    is that the whole tank view ? cannot see properly

nice nice

Feedback Score
    Hello.

My tank is about 250 to 300 litres. It's a 2.5' x 2.5' square tank from Aquatechnic. I converted it from Freshwater planted about 7 months ago after I got bitten by the reef bug.

Sand is normal no.1 sand. About 3" in front and 5" at the back (sloped from back to front). Tank parameters are not so good lah. Nitrate is about 80, and I can still detect slight trace of ammonia in the tank after 7 months (performed one 50% water change since tank was set up). I disconnected the skimmer from the refugium about 2 months ago and added calupera but it didn't go down, so I removed the no.1 sand in my refugium and added some miracle mud and new calupera into the refugium about a month ago but it still doesn't seem to be doing much good too. Will look see for another 2 months and may add a denitrator if all things fail.

Besides the refugium in the sump, there is also a calcium reactor (DIY from Dupla C02 reactor used in Freshwater days) and the water is chilled to 28 degrees. Lighting is supplied by a 150W Metal halide running a 10k BLV bulb (that may be changed to a 20k one soon). In tank circulation is handled by a powerhead good for 2,500 litres per hour (detuned to run at about 50% capacity only)

Corals include my favourite euphylia species like hammer, frogspawn,torch, brain, bubble, catseye, and giant mushroom) and they have been added progressively over a period of 5 months. Used to have a red cauliflower but that didn't last as it was not photosynthetic and also had an elegance which somehow died after about 2-3 months. Fish include a golden maroon clown and a royal gramma. There's also a sea cucumber and a couple of snails.

wah no3 so high....but ur corals seems alrite.
    btw y u disconnected ur skimmer?

like ur tank man

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the compliment. If the tank can stay the way it is, I'll be very happy as the maintenance I spend on the tank is a fraction of the hours I used to spend trimming plants, replanting them, and tackling algae problems in my freshwater planted days.

You are right. Somehow, even with the high nitrate, the coral seems alright. I added the first hammer when it was 100+ just to try out, seems like almost everything I've added has survived ok so far Also know a guy I met at Supreme @ Seletar over the weekend who has nitrates over 160 and can still keep corals alive!

Disconnected my skimmer cos' I was trying to go skimmerless and go for Natural nitrate reduction through my sandbed and the calupera in the sump. Found that my corals extend their tentacles better without the skimmer initially. Did a lot of testing on the water quality and found that there was no discernable increase in ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate (ammonia and nitrate were at the same levels) even after my tunze skimmer was taken off, so I decided to just leave the way things are and go skimmerless.

wooo tunze skimmer...wat model u using?
    i using a tunze 210 together wif my refu....kinda underated for my tank though

how do u find the blv?i planning to change my arcardia after CNY

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Spiff,
    u got urself another hard coral lover/admirer.. sigh

nivlac, nice tank.. i really dun know how u managed to keep those stuff going despite the high NO3 level.. u really defy what the books have taught me..

Kelvin[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    spiff, my tunze was the 230/3, good for 400 to 1,000 litres. I bought my BLV from Kenny@reefworld for 150 bucks. Try patrick@hong leong. He has the 20k BLV one for the same price. Very nice.

hmmm 20k too blue..my croceas wont enjoy....
    by any chance u sellin the tunze?

Feedback Score
    Spiff,

Not really thinking of selling the skimmer, but since it's not being used, I could let it go if the price is right. Call me at 96880195 to discuss if you are interested.