Country
    Singapore

Getting rid of snails

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Fellow brothers,

Pardon me for asking this question. I would like to find out from you guys if there are any other ways besides using puffer fish or killer snails to kill water snails? Is there any solution sold in lfs that i can use that can kill the snails effectively but yet it will not effect my plants and fishes?
    Please advise. Thanks alot

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Getting rid of snails

Not that I know of... but i use killer snails.. they do the job well... lol..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

how do they look like? big snails crawling aound? Is one of them enough for a 1.5ft tank? Thanks Limy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hmmm.. So far my assasin snails have not been doing their job.. But maybe its worth a try for you.. My assasins took down my nerites instead.. Probably 3-4 for ur tank would be enuff..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Well i use " Snail stop" soloution to clear snails /worms
    Last edited by xinanlove; 5th May 2010 at 15:38.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Xinanlove, does the snail stop solution cause any negative effect on the fishes or aquarium plants? How does it look like and where do you get it from? Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by nick_tks View Post
    Hi Xinanlove, does the snail stop solution cause any negative effect on the fishes or aquarium plants? How does it look like and where do you get it from? Thanks

i got it from my LFS,

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hmmm.. Is this chemical harmful for shrimps?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

usually MOST are harmful to both shrimp and snails. But some other forumers have success with snail killing chemicals without negative effect on shrimp. Best solution is Assasin snail. It will take a while to clear but it is effective nad will not poss a threat to shrimps.
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

actually, snails are part of the eco system so they should be embraced

However, if you want to get rid of them, you just need to pick them out regularly and one day,....miraculously, they will be gone.....it has worked for me this way so far

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

picking is difficult especially for large tanks with many snails. The snails will bury themselves in the subtrate. But if you pick them, take out the larger ones first as they will be the ones who look after the younger snails and reproduce. When you are picking, feed less.

Instead of getting rid of them completely you can just keep their numbers in check by feeding less or starving them for a few days (fish can go without food for a few days)

They are scavengers like shrimps
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I used to have very serious snail problems and later hair algae problems. I got so fed-up that i just can't be bothered with the tank - no water change (just top-ups), feeding fishes a little at once or twice a week. The snails i have are the small round shaped ones, the malayan trumpet snails and the "assasin" snails. After a few months, no more snails execpt the "assasin" snail!!

I've seen the "assasin" snail eat the other snails before but because i only had two, they were completely overwhelmed by the pesky ones for months so i presume they died off due to the following reasons which bags the following questions as well - taking the "assasin" snails out of the equation...

1. reduction in fish feeding leading to a decline in snail populations.
    Question : a) the small round shell snails eat algae, so even if i reduce my feeding it should not make any difference to their population. Why did they die off?

b) the malayan trumpet snails probably gets their food from the left over fish food that drops to the bottom.
    Question : Most times even when i fed heavily to my fishes, i make sure that the fishes finish up fast enough so that it doesn't drop to the bottom. Why did they also die off and is there a possibilty that they ate the undigested food that was passed out from the fishes in the form of fish poop?

2. Low kh/ph which results in their eventual death? btw i didn't measure the ph/kh but i presume that the kh is about 1 -2dkh
    Admiring my Fishes calm the Beast within me

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Anyone mentioned puffer fish heard few friends saying they will pick on snails (then the others)?
    Also i bought killer snails before and my frank comments are:
    "they eat when they like do and when they feel like it."

After my killer snail chomped up some snails they slowed the killing rate down, i had to combine that with manual removal and feeding control before i saw results.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Puffers will nip fins of slower fish once the snail population goes down.

Instead, you can try to put a piece of carrot or cucumber in your tank overnight. Get up before the sunrises and you'll find the snails chomping away at it. Then just removed them. At least, that works for me.
    Cheers,
    Bernard
    Kept (no more ) Betta persephone, B. miniopinna, B. sp. palangkaraya, B. uberis, B. channoides, B. burdigala
    Pseudepiplatys annulatus, Nannostomus eques

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Bernard

for puffer soultion, after snail population is low enough to be controled. the puffer can be given to another hobbyist in need.

for the carrot or cucumber way, unclerobin told me put them in a bottle and weight it down so its easier to remove.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

For carrot cucumber do it night when the snails are more active
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

every time i water change (once a week), i will pick up the snails i can see..... very soon all will be gone!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

wow... thank you fellow brothers for the valuable advises... Looks like there are a few way to get rid of them. I thank you guys for your valuable advises

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by nick_tks View Post
    Fellow brothers,

Pardon me for asking this question. I would like to find out from you guys if there are any other ways besides using puffer fish or killer snails to kill water snails? Is there any solution sold in lfs that i can use that can kill the snails effectively but yet it will not effect my plants and fishes?
    Please advise. Thanks alot
    is 'water snails' same as 'pond snails'?

I use to have Pond Snails and I hate them. Everyday I pick them out in the aquarium whenever I see them until they disappear. I have Red Ramshorn & Malaysian Trumpet snails to remain and I love them controlling algae.
    LAND OF THE FREE.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I think pond snail would be under water snail
    Cheers,
    JJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast