Country
    India

Beginners corner

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,
    Well, I am setting up a 30 x 12 x 15 inch tank. I want to make it a planted tank with DIY co2. I have been going through a lot of threads but unable to reach a conclusion. i.e. what should be the light (watts) that I should be using .
    I am planning to put 2 x 36 W PLLs and 2 X18W fluorecent tube(T. Will this be ok ? otherwise Can you please suggest me the correct combination ? How many watts all together will be needed?
    I have not decided for the type of plants , but will go for the medium light range ones .I Will be highly obliged if u can suggest me some plants also .
    thanks
    with warm regards
    Cponkshe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Beginners corner

I think 2x 36w PL + 2x 18W T5 would be way too much. Your tank will have 5wpg with all that, and that would be too much, especially for medium light plants. Generally smaller tanks would use 5wpg and that would be in high tech setups. Larger set ups of around 20 gallons and above would use about 3wpg in high tech setups.

I think 2 x 36w PL should be sufficient. You would have about 3wpg.

But note: all plants can grow in high or low light condition, it is just which one they will thrive better in. As long as there is suficient co2 and fertilisers, any plant can be grown in medium to low light conditions.

And since you will be using DIY co2 which will not provide constant supply of co2, its best to have medium light. So 3wpg should be ideal

Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    Country
    India

Thanks Jiajuen 900 .
    Your answer was a big relief as Iwas not able to make up my mind.
    can you also please let me know about some plants that grow in medium light but easy to maintain for a new comer like me .
    thanks again

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

you can read this thread on lighting as well http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...light=spectrum
    Cheers,
    JJ