Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Have problems with algea?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Have problems with algea? Started to grow everywhere, on the wall, on the leafs & etc.

My tank 3ft planted tank as;
    fert.--1/2 cap of iron & general fert. once a week
    light--4x36w (10,000k per PL) for 8hrs
    My 7 SAEs(2 died), 16 Otos and 27 Yamatos(eat dead fishes instead of algea) not keen in these algae. Don know why!!!

Or what kind of fishes to add in my tank, inorder to remove algea.

Is it liquid control aglea able to control grow of algea. Anyone can offer any help? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    what kind of algae?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/24/2001 12:26:38 AM

Have problems with algea? Started to grow everywhere, on the wall, on the leafs & etc.

My tank 3ft planted tank as;
    fert.--1/2 cap of iron & general fert. once a week
    light--4x36w (10,000k per PL) for 8hrs
    My 7 SAEs(2 died), 16 Otos and 27 Yamatos(eat dead fishes instead of algea) not keen in these algae. Don know why!!!

Or what kind of fishes to add in my tank, inorder to remove algea.

Is it liquid control aglea able to control grow of algea. Anyone can offer any help? Thanks.

----------------
    Hi jason, supposely yr tank is 90x45x45cm, that makes it abt 49gal.. giving u abt 2.8 watts a gal, depending on the plants u have in yr tank (slow or fast grower), to reduce algae, stop fertilization, change water regularly, add in fast growers (most stemmed plants are fast growers) to absorbed extra nutrients..

avoid using chemical to get rid of algae, they may do damage to your plants, fish and yamato

btw, wat kinda algae u have? for those growing on the leave, remove infected leaves.. try to remove as much as u can manually

hope it helps
    Simon

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Are you having Blue-green algae (BGA)? It is a blue-green, slimy sheet that grows rapidly on almost everywhere.
    My Apisto Keeping Diary
    Apistogramma agassizii, Apistogramma bitaeniata "Careiro", Apistogramma brevis, Apistogramma elizabethae, Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma sp. "Miua", Dicrossus filamentosus

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi All,
    Thanks for all your advises. Already remove infected leaves, change almost 50% of 3ft tank water & stop fert. 4hrs later after changing 50% of the h2o(fresh fm the tap), almost all my 60 cardina tectra, their colour tone become faded. Quickly add sodium carbonate & remove chlorine liquid, within 1-2 min. their colour tone started to trun normal again.

Normal green algea on the glass walls, 16 otos still sucking but process is very slow. As for the leaves, there are very fine hairs with a black or dark green colour dot at the centre. Don know what algea leh? Just cut away on the infected leave. But afraid it will grow back again. Anyone can offer help to get rid of these black or dark green dot with very fine hair on the leaves.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    looks like u have a range of algae in yr tank.. spotted on yr wall, smear and hair/BBA on yr leaves... remember your's a 3ft, if u change that much water from a smaller tank, it will affect yr fishes and plants.. so careful

those precaution method i stated in my thread above is one of the ways.. there r many others, different ppl uses own own method derive from experimenting...

additional tips, for those algae on the wall, u can use a algae scaper or a phonecard/mrt card/credit card to scape them from.. those infected leaves shld be remove, if the plant is badly infected, remove the whole plant

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It pains me when I had to remove a nice plant covered with algae... Anyway I had my 4ft without CO2 for almost month, it curbed BBA but not the green thread algae. I guess this has been mentioned before. Not for long though, my 4ft has signs of BBA appearing liao... its a tough nut to crack.[]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/25/2001 1:22:54 PM

It pains me when I had to remove a nice plant covered with algae... Anyway I had my 4ft without CO2 for almost month, it curbed BBA but not the green thread algae. I guess this has been mentioned before. Not for long though, my 4ft has signs of BBA appearing liao... its a tough nut to crack.[]
    ----------------
    uww, jus do more frequent water change

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I noticed that you're using 10k Kelvin PL tubes. I'm afraid this higher spectrum of lights attract algae like a moth to a flame. It will be quite costly to replace the tubes, but it will be a uphill battle if you don't.

Juz my 2 cents worth
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi All,
    Many thanks for your advises. The actual size of my 3ft tank is L:90cm, B:45cm & H:60cm. Due to the 60cm height of my tank, which result me choosing 10,000K/PL light. Nature is selling S$20/PL each of 10,000K. S$9.00/PL for 66,500K each. I did try the 6,500K, but the lighting seem to be in yellowish not pure white light. Furthermore I may need use 6x36PL(6,500K) instead now only use 4x36PL(10,000K). Now all plants is bubbling here & there. Of course, Algae also can be found.

The only way is to reduce the no. of hrs of lighting (8hrs to 6hrs), which also help to cut down electricity bill.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the kelvin on those tube doesnt determine on the depth of the tank, rather more due to the intensity of the lighting.. for instead, Fl can be use for a 60cm depth tank, but the plants at the bottom will suffer, PL is good regardless of kelvin.. 10k tubes are more to the bluish side, some of us like to use a combo of 6.5k and 10k tubes to bring out the colors visually..

u shld be controlling yr wattage per gal and not the kelvin.. yr tank oredi has abt 2.8 watt per gal which is good for highlight plants.. reducing yr lighting period, will shorten yr viewing pleasure..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Simon,
    Many thanks for your advise. I decided to choice 10,000K per PL, becuase Chan fm Nature gave me this advise to use 10,000/PL due to the 2ft height. During that time still very green almost very issues.

Majority of the infected algae leaves have been removed (cut away). STOP fert. Now just wait & see first. Still trying to identify the name of the algaes & get people advise to cure or reduce the grow of my algaes.

By the way, is it possible to suggest that this web page could come out all kind of algaes with picture vs what kind of encounter measures. I think most of peolpe will support my idea, specially for those who are just a beginer. What do you about this idea? Pls comment. Regards.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    kekeke.. anyway, we are doing our second planted tank workshop soon and algae is one of the topics we intend to cover.. we will oso write articles on them and possible solutions/cures...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    That planted tank workshop is under AQ or AR? Me now also confused liao! [] But anyway, will go if work permits.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/29/2001 4:25:23 PM

kekeke.. anyway, we are doing our second planted tank workshop soon and algae is one of the topics we intend to cover.. we will oso write articles on them and possible solutions/cures...
    ----------------
    Maybe we should rephrase that to AQ's first planted tank workshop......
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Simon,

Awaiting for your "Prevention or Stop of the grow of Algae" topic to be up on this web page asap.

Thanks for your hard work!!!!!!!!!Regards