3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Question Bigger tank is better for beginners

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I was thinking with a smaller tank I will spend lesser for other accesssories like filter, lightings etc. So have narrowed down my choice to a 1.5' tank. By chance i came across this warning that beginners are better off with bigger tank as there is more tolerance for errors. How true is this statement?. Anyway the biggest I could go is a 3FT as there is space constraint not to mention $$. So now am torn between 2 choices. Either 1.5' or 3'

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Bigger tank is better for beginners

go for the 3 feet. Cost will depend on what you want to achieve from the tank. A simple low tech planted 4ft could cost as much as a 2ft high tech or less.

Yes beginners are better off with bigger tanks as errors are minimized. Lets say you spill a whole bottle of fertiliser into the tank or dose too much. It will do less harm in a larger tank than in a smaller tank if the amount of chemical spilled is the same.

Or maybe you put the wrong fish together. in a larger tank both species will have less chance of aggresive behaviour compared to a small tank.

in conclusion bigger tank = more water = mistake made does less harm
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i agree with jiajuen900, bigger tank have bigger allowance for mistakes.
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

So des ka! In that case if i decide to use a 3' tank, would a DIY co2 serve any meaningful purpose?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

just get 2nd hand from brothers here in the forum. they don't cost as much as before. and save u a lot of hassle preparing CO2 cocktails.
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The bad side of having a bigger tank is when there is an algae outbreak, you'll have a bigger headache clearing them. It's easier to do large water changes to reset the tank if somethings wrong with a smaller tank than with bigger tanks.

I rather you get a proper CO2 system than a DIY one cos DIY more likely to give problems like inconsistant CO2 injections. If money is an issue i'd rather you get a 3ft tank and go low tech non CO2. Equipment wise, go get 2nd hand.
    Admiring my Fishes calm the Beast within me

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

i see many beginners started off with big tanks and stopped after awhile and all money wasted because most are just having try try mindset. be it small or big tank, one must be determined to do it. mindset not tank size matters most in my view.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

I have to agree with Jimmy said. Play with 2ft tank first, if you really into it, you can change to a bigger tank.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

On the contrary, i feel that the saying of big tanks for beginners doesn't really apply to planted. More for people keeping delicate fishes who are looking for stable conditions for the lifestock ie larger volume of water to buffer any changes that you might make.

Small planted might suit a beginner better. Plants are more tolerable to changes than fishes.

1) Cost: Most notably substrate. One bag of ADA 9L goes from $30++.
    One bag might be enough for a 1.5' but you'll need at least 9 bags for a 4'.

If you're going the EI way and not sure of how to make the cocktail of fertilisers from dry yet, cost of fertilisation will be tenfold when one uses commercial ones.

Lights, a 2ft lightset is much more affordable than a 4ft one. Its the same with filters.

2) Beginners do not usually understand the term of 'plant HEAVILY from the start'. What they might see as heavily might not be the case. I feel its easier for a beginner to cramp a small tank full of plants rather than a bigger tank.

3) Efficient mix of co2 into the water column. Easier to get consistent 20-30ppm for a small tank than a bigger one. You might find small spots in a 4ft tank that might not reach at least 20ppm.

All said, i feel a 2ft tank is an optimum tank for beginners to start with. Just enough to make a significant scape, equipment relatively easy to find.

Enough ranting, my 2 cents.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I believe it depend on the beginner. If the beginner did not do his research/homework and started this hobby with the mindset of hentam/chin chai attitude, they will not achieve what they wanted in the 1st place. But if they sit down and plan out their setup, list down the preferred equipment, look at how problems might arise during maintenance and such, take into account of possible equipment failure and ways to work around that, managing efficiency in the setup and always be prepared for the worse, the hobby wouldn't take too much time. Planning for future expansion is good too.

But i wouldn't say a 3ft tank is big, it's medium size in my opinion. A 5ft onward are big, that is a definite. Beginner might want to start with a 2ft and have some good equipment like pressurized co2 in the 1st place. When it's time to upgrade, they at least have the pressurized co2 to use for their next tank and save some money. But if they have done their research and are confident, they can opt to start with a medium sized tank like a 3ft tank.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

yes i agree with BFG, i think 2ft should be fine.

About co2, if you are planning to use DIY co2, it is not much different from a co2 tank with manual regulator that costs $75 at NA. Manual regulator still better than DIY co2 as it provides a more consistent and contolable supply of co2. But both will probably go on 24/7
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

2ft will be a good size to start with for planted tank.. considering the start up cost. However, small tank does have its advantages: lower costs, smaller area requirement,etc.

totally agreed with BFG, read up before embarking on any tank project will helps regardless of tank size
    The role of master and servant begin to cloud in the water..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hmmm.... am listening. Thanks all bros for your active participatiion.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi

i agree with k3nlim on the reading up before you start. i started with a very small tank. made a few mistake but not major. found that if i have read on it earlier will not have made them. in the end my start up tank is the best one so far and having the least death. so small don't mean bad. at least it is cheaper. i started on a hyper low tech and that suit me for now.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Agree with BFG and k3nlim.
    Big or small... I think anything can work, if you know how to manage it (and luck too? )... because i think my 14inch tank is doing better than my 2ft .

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

my small tank is certainly doing much better than my 2ft...learnt all my lessons the hard way..with "school fee" to boot
    The role of master and servant begin to cloud in the water..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Erm..any newbie here..

To what extend is "Low Tech"..
    Starting Soon like Octopus
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=68529
    so hope you guys can chip in some expericnce here.

Feedback Score
    -2 (25%)
    Country
    Singapore

his tank quite complicated .. not really suitable .. haha

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Beginner could and should start with small tank. Certainly more manageable especially cost wise. Less expensive mistakes!

However, you're free to choose a bigger size tank if you think you can manage.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

[email protected] Guest/Not Logged In

ya man, bigger tank does allow a bigger margin for error. but i think budget is an issue too as it would require more investment! perhaps you try to balance both?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast