Images
    Country
    Singapore

Starting Soon ..

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Will be starting my 2 x 1 x 1 tank(some China brand) next week.
    Those type enclosed with the cover with filter and lights to rear cardinals and planting simple and hardy plants.
    First attempt to planting so will need recommendations.
    So there will be quite alot of questions from me, so thnx in advance.

1) If i will be cycling the water for 1 week do i still need add the chemcial for chlormine.(if needed may i know wat to buy?)
    My understanding is i setup tank with the plants, cycle the water for a week then intro some fishes abit by bit. (so where do the shrimps come in?)
    2) Are those built in filter useful and effective ? Wat types of additonal material is recommended for the filter (only given some wool filter)
    4) Was given some white gravel/stones which was not recommended for tetras so what should i get instead. (Am i right that i dun need substrate?)
    5) What plants are recommended? (Do i plant alot first or increase bit by bit)
    6) Is the air pump + Air Stone needed?
    7) Anything else i should get? (SeaChem Flourish Excel, PH test kit or stick on type...??)

Cos i will be going C328 get abit of the equipts + plants first, then make another trip for the fishes and plants..

Thank in Advance and sorry for this messy and lengthy post.
    Last edited by skytan; 20th May 2010 at 13:03.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Starting Soon ..

Those type enclosed with the cover with filter and lights to rear cardinals and planting simple and hardy plants.

1) If i will be sitting the water for 1 week do i still need add the chemcial for chlormine.(if needed may i know wat to buy?)
    My understanding is i setup tank with the plants, Sit the water for a week then intro some fishes abit by bit. (so where do the shrimps come in?)

you will still need anti-chlo as letting the water stay in the tank does not remove the chlorine.

2) Are those built in filter useful and effective ? Wat types of additonal material is recommended for the filter (only given some wool filter)

filter that stays in the tank can be used but the downside is that, whatever waste or leftovers it collects, will still be in the same tank same water therefore you have to clean the filter very very frequently. Plus you have to change the water every few days too.

4) Was given some white gravel/stones which was not recommended for tetras so what should i get instead. (Am i right that i dun need substrate?)
    7) Anything else i should get? (SeaChem? , PH test kit...??)

not an expert in plants, sorry. =)

Cos i will be going C328 get abit of the equipts + palnts first, then make another trip for the fishes and plants..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

@WJ
    Thnx..so what is the anti -clorine usually used? (nutrafin cycle or seachem prime)
    Is there anywhere i can find out the pricing of these items? don't want to get chopped
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 26th May 2010 at 09:15. Reason: sms lingo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

all anti-chlorine is the same, they remove chlorine. some are very over price because it contains chemical that claims to benifit the fishes but fishes in the wild dont have chemicals like these and thats where they thrive, therefore dont but those over priced anti-chlorine. just keep the water simple and clean. i am using normal ocean free anti-chlorine, one huge bottle for $3 and its serving me well for soem many years already.
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 26th May 2010 at 09:16. Reason: remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by skytan View Post

1) If i will be cycling the water for 1 week do i still need add the chemcial for chlormine.(if needed may i know wat to buy?)
    My understanding is i setup tank with the plants, cycle the water for a week then intro some fishes abit by bit. (so where do the shrimps come in?)
    7) Anything else i should get? (SeaChem Flourish Excel, PH test kit or stick on type...??)

Cos i will be going C328 get abit of the equipts + plants first, then make another trip for the fishes and plants..

1) We cycle the tank for beneficial bacteria to develop, cycling normally takes up 2 - 3 weeks. We cycle the tank with the fishless cycle or with fish. By introducing a source of ammonia which could be any rotting matter such as fish food, rotting plants or even the fish itself (We do this by indroducing fish little by little so that there is not excessive amounts of ammonia present.)

Main point: instead of introducing fish bit by bit and letting them suffer, you can 'feed' the empty tank with fishfood.

Chlorine and Chlormine are harmful to both fish and bacteria (can kill of bacteria ). Aeration and water movement will eventually get rid of the chloramine and chlorine will de-gas in a about 24hrs. By adding Anti-chloring you can get rid of them much faster.

Note: Not all anti-chlorine is the same. Some only get rid of chlorine while others get rid of both. Singapore water contains both chlorine and chloramine. I would personally reccomend seachem prime.

2)Build in filter is fine. A build in filter does not mean you have to clean the filter more often. (any filter will share water with the tank so it makes no difference. The main purpose of a filter, is to provide a better environment for bacteria to colonize. (usually provides larger surface area to volume ratio) Also to provide water circulation (which is very important).

Note: try getting ceramic rings or Biohome and different sponges for filter media.

4) Tetras are not very demanding, anybase of gravel, soil or nothing at all will do. But in planted tanks, it is generally reccomended to get aquasoil or fine gravel.

5) Plant heavily from the start. But note, for us to reccomend plants, we need to know your tank specs (lighting, co2 or no co2, etc)
    Advice: Do more research on the forum and internet about planted tanks.

6) Planted tanks, generally no airstone. Noisy, to much disturbance in water and drives out co2.

7) Plants need 3 things in general to grow. Light, co2 and fertilizer. When all these are in balance, plants will grow well.

Have fun with your first planted
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

@jiaJuen
    thank alot

1) Main point: instead of introducing fish bit by bit and letting them suffer, you can 'feed' the empty tank with fishfood.

Note: Not all anti-chlorine is the same. Some only get rid of chlorine while others get rid of both. Singapore water contains both chlorine and chloramine. I would personally reccomend seachem prime.

So i can use "Prime" at the start and slowly do the fishless method (had skimmed through the article..sticky one was a broken link), i take it as plants should also be in from the start right?

2)Note: try getting ceramic rings or Biohome and different sponges for filter media.

So i should get the blue wool/foam, charcoal , white wool, ceramic rings..(any order in general)

4) Tetras are not very demanding, anybase of gravel, soil or nothing at all will do. But in planted tanks, it is generally reccomended to get aquasoil or fine gravel.

The ones given to me was whitish i think some limestone..thingy. Read the forums was saying darker gravel is closer to the tetra enviornment
    So is ADA aqua gravel M good enough or do i need to mix with L? and how many liters do i need for my tank size to get a back to front normal sloping scape. (Most Likely not doing soil as i worried to hard to manage for a first planted tank)

5) Plant heavily from the start. But note, for us to reccomend plants, we need to know your tank specs (lighting, co2 or no co2, etc)

No CO2 if i can if not will DIY or some chemcial <--i think. Havent decided on lighting yet but will use FL because of the built in cover. Will on lights for 12 hrs a day.

One question , with lights and CO2 then photosyntheis (layman version) occur, if i do DIY co2 so i just use when i on my lights or 24hr?
    Am i on the right track?

6) Planted tanks, generally no airstone. Noisy, to much disturbance in water and drives out co2.
    How will i know oxygen in water is enuff for the fishes?

7) Plants need 3 things in general to grow. Light, co2 and fertilizer. When all these are in balance, plants will grow well.
    I guess flourish excel should suffice rite?
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 26th May 2010 at 09:16. Reason: sms lingo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

1) Yes fishless method. When ever you add any tapwater to the tank, even during water changes you have to use Anti-chlorine (you are using seachem prime). Yes plant heavily from the start.

2) Generally all filter media have a purpose. I think ceramic rings (preferably Biohome, which is a brand of ceramic filter media), filter wool, sponges and maybe some other media that has a high surface area to volume ratio.

Note: I would not reccomend charcoal and coral chips as filter media. Charcoal can be used at the start, when the tank is cycling but for long term use, it needs to be changes often. (maybe monthly or every few weeks) Coral chips will affect the ph.

4) Black subtrate may make the tetra feel more comfortable and will make them look better with a black subtrate.
    ADA has several different varients of aquasoil. There is ADA Africana, ADA power sand, ADA Amazonia II, ADA Amazonia I, ADA powder sand. Power sand is used as a base fert (placed as a base below at the bottom of the tank). Powder sand is very fine soil used as a top layer. The rest are the main subtrate which we use in our tanks. For a 2ft tank a 9L bag of ADA amazonia II should be enough.(without the rest)

Why do you think it is troublesome. We dont need to vacuum aqua soil and it only clouds the water for the first few hours.

5) You can get a co2 canister with manual regulator for 69 SGD at NA. You cannot control DIY co2, therefore it will run 24hrs. You can get away with no co2 in a low tech setup but plants will be more limited and growth rate much slower.
    The type of lighting is not important rather the intensity or rather wattage. (general measurement of light)
    12hrs a day may be too much. 8hrs daily should be enough.

6) You can use increase the surface aggitation to increase gas exchange but not to the extent where bubbles are created in the water.

7) Plant need 17 elements to grow. Made up of Micro and Macro nutrients. Some unavailbale in your tank, which need to be dosed. Go read up on EI (estimated index) to understand the requirements of plants. But you do not have to use it

Advice: in beginners section there is a sticky on good articals to read. Go read some of them.
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

@jiajuen
    Thanks again for your kind patience answering all my questions...

1) Will get some feed with Prime to use during the cycling. Jus saw the ADA guide to planting ..is that consider heavy planting for the foreground...I wont do to much on the wood..on my first try

2) Think i will settle in this sequence , can give comment if sufficient?
    Wool, Sponge, Ceramic, Sponge, Wool

4) Will be gettign Amazonia II 9L (saw online it is bout 39.90),
    Power sand S 2L (31.99) /Special (34.99)
    So i lay one layer below then the aquasoil the top of with powersand correct?
    May i know why the top layer need the sand again, cos i thought use amazonia to
    get the black colour??
    So we wont be cleaning the soil layer? Though need to vacuum out dirt and soil would be sucked up..

5) I was thinkin try out DIY...if i can manage better will get a proper canister, is there any thread with pics..showing how to channel the DIY into tank?
    I understanf that a caninster we can use a valve to control the flow then through a glass diffuser to hang on tank. How much to top a caninster and averagly how long a canninster last?

6) *Chucks the air pump away...will connect the DIY to my redundant airstone??
    (hm..i forgot where i read about it....DIY bubbles not strong should be okay ;> )

7) Read a few articles already...but i KS ask alot..as some not too specific..(First Tank paiseh) . As for dosing i will start with flourish...first then slowly..So what test kit would i need...considering the SeaChem ph alert (http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...s/pHAlert.html)
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 26th May 2010 at 09:17. Reason: sms lingo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm using a diffuser with my DIY CO2 and bubbles looks much nicer compared to using airstone.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

2) dont need wool at the back. Try adding more of the kind of media that has high surface area to volume ratio like biohome...

4) I think you must be mixed up. there are two DIFFERENT things POWER sand and POWDER sand. Power sand is a base fert, it is porus and provides good conditions for bacteria to colonize in the soil and releases minerals slowly. Amazonia II POWDER sand is very fine used for decorative purposes and to make rooting for some plants easier.

5) no comment never used DIY co2 because i think it troublesome
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi again,

@jetstream
    So many types of diffuser, which is better?
    Was looking at the ANS ones..but anywhere i can find out whats the uses of the others?? check valve, counter, drop checker??

2) Just bought BioHome from NA + some woods..(soaking for the 3rd day..need to change water daily or a few days once??)

I will be placing in this sequence then.
    Wool
    http://freshnmarine.com.sg/estore/pr...oducts_id=2286
    Spounge
    http://freshnmarine.com.sg/estore/pr...oducts_id=2298
    BioHome
    *The previous spounge again

4) So i should be using this as base layer
    http://freshnmarine.com.sg/estore/pr...roducts_id=664
    Then this on top of it correct?
    http://freshnmarine.com.sg/estore/pr...roducts_id=652
    The top 2 is needed, hm..so skipping the powder sand should not have to huge implication i supposed?

5) Haha...soaw the NA manual set...not so clumnersome...(getting poisoned soonnn)...so are CO2 tank..how many litre and usually can last how long?? Worried need to refill often if too small tank, big tank.ugly...

*Anyone knows where to get this locally??
    http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...s/pHAlert.html

For soil, plants and seachem stuffs where to buy cheaper and more complete?? That day at NA they dun have ADA Amazon 2 and power sand..
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 26th May 2010 at 09:18.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How come no one mentioned anything about temperature? Heat is a killer. Will the tank be in an air conditioned room 24/7? If not, you mentioned a covered tank? Those are heat traps. Find a way to mount a fan.
    Suckerfish no eat poo poo.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

oh ...FAN
    Forget all about it.,will be placing it near the dining area should be pretty cooling but like you said covered tank will be a heat trap.
    So it will be a concern for me then.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Try to attain a temperature of at least 28 degrees and below
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Just went C328, this noon bought a few simple plants, Seachem flourish and prime to kick start today. No PowerSand there so boss recommend a cheaper alternative JBJ nutrient substrate.

Will go for a semi-wet run and see what temperature the water will reach without fishes and forgot about the next most important item. THERMOMETER.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

one important thing is ferts. For plants to grow well, they need light. co2 and fertilizer to be in balance
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Looks like you're well on track! only things you might want to note are:

Don't run charcoal / activated carbon in your filtration during the cycling phase, you don't want to remove ammonia before the cycle is completed.

Plant heavily from the start, or introduce nutrient export plants (Frogbits, Hornwort etc) or you are liable to face algae problems.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Bought some plants from C328, doing my wet run now.
    The Bog/Drift woods are still not ready (jus 1 week of soaking), but i start of with the plants first.

But i am guess i am not planting heavy, but will be next monday before i can go buy any plants.

By the way i bought 2 mesh grass, the boss say it is pretty easy suitable for Foreground, but do i bury the whole mesh into the soil or take it out and plant it stalk by stalk?

Took 1 mesh out, it floated but used the mesh to weigh it down as they seems to small to pushed into the soil effectively.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

sounds like hairgrass

best to plant in bunches after taking out from mesh.

You can boil the wood. Tannins are more easily removed and it sinks wood much faster.

Dont forget fertilisers
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Oh..now i need help again....

Got 5 Neon and 5 Black Tetra + 2 Otos (only 2 black stripes type)
    Water Temperature is high with the lights on.(30+) so i am kinda stuck
    With the casing, i cannot install a fan.
    the 2 oto is casualty already(might be NTS), worried for the rest.

If i sacrifice the casing, i need to get a few more things. BUT the tank have a inch thick plastic border that the cover sits on, so the 3 items that i need to get need to comply with that situation
    So the below stuff wiill be needed but is there any with such a gap?

1)HOF (trying to avoid canister)*failed ===> Will get a EDEN501 instead, may i know roughly how much is one?
    2)Lighting
    3)Fan

So can anyone please give some recommendations.

*will try upload some pics.
    Last edited by skytan; 30th May 2010 at 23:49.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast