Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yamato living at low ph?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Can yamato live at low ph abt 5? I using aquasoil, wonder will it be too low as my yamato die of no reason?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    you may be taking a big risk at that PH level.....if I am not wrong, even our biological bateria that we need in out filter may not survive below PH of 5.5.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    David is correct. I second that. Tested before to be below PH 6, moss start to rot, yamatoes mati, grass shrimp report to hell whilst cardinal float on top of the water, color changed to dull green instead of bright green.

However, this problem can be corrected by rising not more than 0.2 pts of ph per day. If you rise too fast, the fishes will not be able to take it. Tested during one of my experiment with the 1.5 ft tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Since Aquasoil 'artificially' lowers the ph to below 6, will that cause shrimps to die? I remember if you pump too much CO2 and the ph goes too low cos of the acidity of the water, the shrimps die cos their shells are not able to take the acidity. Someone pls clarify?

I'm going great with my tiger shrimps in a Aquasoil tank but not the bee shrimps. Wonder if this is the cause.
    ... always look at the bright side of life

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Front view

Right view

Left view

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Joe....vinegar has a PH of around 4.0 to 4.5...this means that if your aquasoil has brought the PH to 5.0 and below, it is very close to vinegar's PH range.....I dont think much fish or shrimps will survive this PH as you have mentioned that the shell may not be able to take the acidity.

What may be good is to take your tanks KH reading and post it back for me.
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Does that means aquasoil is not suitable for keeping yamato shrimps? I saw them slowly changing to redish colour and then die. SO this is another bad point of using the amazionia soil!!! I heard If u try to raise with ph increaser, the soil will melt!

I need the shrimp to remove the hair algae. How? Anybody experience this? Wat shrimps is suitable for this?

How abt if I mixed w african aquasoil, wat will I get?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ivanilla

Before we start pointing fingers at the ADA soil, did you acclimatise your yamatoes before placing them in your tank?...If you have, check your NO2 reading as Yamatoes are extremely sensitive to NO2.

Again take you KH reading and post it back for me.
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Joe, yr tank is nice. I like yr wood best. Guess we shd use the afician soil instead.[]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No problem having pH of 5.5 with Yamato shrimps and other shrimps.
    Cardinal tetra comes from the SA , water acidity very low, can go down as low as recorded 3.4 and only with 5.5 i presume it ain't the pH that is a factor.

Blaming everything to low pH is uncalled for, searching for information and not basing on a few experiment and concluding issue is viable.

Moreover moss doesn't rot at low pH.

Aquasoil only lowers to pH 5.5 and slowly rising as time passes by.

I'm really wondering , Amano uses Aquasoil and recommend Yamato as algae eater...do all of you mean that he is very wrong - maybe he is[:0]

If pH is the only factor for your shrimps and fishes dying i'll suggest not keeping anything at all[]

ps: ADA aquasoil range from amazonia to african does the same water alteration.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmmm David will try to measure the kh

Just for information, only 2 out of the 15 tiger shrimps have died. More than 50% of the bee shrimps have died (more from the no-more pecking tetras and danios). All of them have been in the tank for more than a month and tank is definitely cycled b4 the shrimps are added.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi david,sorry I dont hav the test kit. I tnk will get one soon. but it seems unlikely as I m running a eheim 2017 w 7 cardinals, 3 checker board, 2 albino rummy nose n 4 3line pencil and abt 5 oto only. My tank is heavily planted. So I guess my no2 wont be high. I m not sure whether the low ph will kill the shrimp?But if aquasoil can lower the ph that much, then it will definite kill it rite? I was wondering anybody experience this.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So the Tiger and bee shrimps are being place together from day 1?

To sidetrack a bit, shrimps of a single speciment will colonise the tank , if it happens that one speciment of shrimp is more than the other, the speciment which has more will over take the other speciment which has less.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Than i suggest you telling Amano that he is silly recommending yamato and Ada aquasoil =)
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I only get problem w yamato but not cardinals.My fishes is happy w it. BTW, mine is a 2 feet tank.

From my observation, the yamato will turn to a bit like cherry shrimp, Then next day it will die.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So you thinking pH is the factor :>
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Benny

What are you dissing at?.....they have risen a voice of concern which they are seeking clearification and there is no need to use the name of Amano to shut them up.

From your multiple posting clearly indicate that you are upset over this thread may I know why?...if you have read my eariler post, I did mentioned not to 'point fingers' at ADA soil...instead I narrow in on acclimatisation and NO2 level....I am also interested in their current KH level.
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I not sure thats y asking lor. Is sure my fishes love the low ph but I wonder my yamato will. BTW yamato doesn't come from river w acidic water rite?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    all shell lifeforms need a certain amount of minerals like calcaium in the water to regenerate their shells.
    therefore, if the kh is low n ph also low....they r not going to survive long....

i believe if the ph is as low as 5.5 or lower, the shrimps n snail will have their shell eventually "dissolved"...though i have Yamato shrimps wth my ADA soil but the ph is only 6.2-6.4 (kh 2)

that is my 1cents worth
    06Jan2009, 1035hrs - My Oldest Friend has passed on............

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi David,

Well, i'm not dissing or what, just that there are information discuss before or even 'there'(web) for such answer.

No hard feelings just that i feel that reading up before asking will be better ain't it?

Maybe i'm wrong, anyway i'm not using Amano to shut issue up, maybe a thinker or two will help.

Cheers!
    Cheers!

Benetay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast