Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Activated carbon

Activated carbon

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I would like to know how many of you guys are using activated carbon in your tank. Many LFS advocates the use of AC in a marine tank but the price is rather steep for a small amount. Is it a must? Also, which brand of activated carbon do you use and do you put it permanantly in your filtration system? Thanks.

Naut

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Nautilus,
    i usually get my AC from Petmart.. abt $1 per pack.. small one.. then i get 3-4 packets to dump into my sump...and change them every 3 months..
    Some of them come in $5 long packet type..
    AC is a must coz it removes both toxic elements and helps to clear the water.. keeping it clean..
    Kelvin[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Depends on what system you are running mate. Some who are running a berlin or deep sandbed system without any bioballs or nitrifying filtration will say the surface area creates Nitrates. But it does help in clarifying the water.

I have a bag from Dupla used occasionally which is chopped up into fine bits like rice. Bought for quite a high price but its high surface area makes it effective. There was once when I woke up in the morning to find that my sea cucumber got sucked into my powerhead and started releasing poison as a defence mechanism. Corals did not open at all and fish were gasping for air at the top of the tank. Took out the fish, out came the carbon and by night time, the corals opened up as usual again and the water was fine enough to add it back in. So its always good to have some carbon on standby

Thanks guys for your replies. I've always been put off by the exorbitant prices of AC, but since the AC from petmart can be used without any problems, then i guess it'll be a good choice to use it. Any other positive experiences with AC?

Naut

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    nat,
    what is the brand of AC that u saw that is very expensive???
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

kelstorm,

The brand is called seachem. Small bottle for around $15.

Naut

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    no wonder.. hahaha.. me using some japanese brand.. dun ask me to translate to u.. me dun understand japanese.. []