Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Please recommend easy plants and snail control

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I never thought about going back to live plants (esp. since snails can be such a hassle,) but I have a "55 G" that needs more fish--I'm thinking of making it an all-catfish tank (w/ *maybe* some Khuli loaches later on just for fun.) I was thinking of keeping Otos again and a friend told me that the lifespan of Otos is almost completely contingent on keeping live plants....(sigh) I'm great growing plants semi-hydroponically on dry land (ivys, pothos, kaloche, palms, etc.,) but aquatic plants always seem to need more from me than I have to give.

There is *one* upshot--The new tank has SW exposure--it's the sunniest room in the house (versus where I'd kept the "20 G"s, really just some NE light, only.) I'm hoping this makes all the difference in the world because, you see, my health is quite poor, I'm permanently disabled by it and lately am having more bad than good days--Lupus with severe photosensitivity, RA, spinal damage, nerve damage, and a ton of other autoimmune diseases.

So I'm wondering if there isn't a simple way of having a few really easy, resilient, inexpensive plants--snail free plants--and just maybe I could fill the rest of the tank up with silk (b/c I don't have it in me to tend a whole aquatic garden, not right now at least.)

And that's why I'm here...well, that and you have the absolute *best* fish emoticons I've ever seen

I look forward to learning all that I can here and making lots of friends along the way!

With a glad heart,
    moonbunny

Oh! A picture of the tank is attached, too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Please recommend easy plants and snail control

Hello Moonbunny,

Welcome to AQ. Glad you like the emoticons.

First, we're not sure of the pricing of plants in your region. Most of the members here are Singaporeans and we get plants real cheap. There are a few Americans on the forum though.

Otos thrive on algae. And usually the conditions to grow algae are the very conditions for growing plants. There are algae tablets you can try, but I don't know if anybody has kept otos on just those alone. On the other hand, some of your other catfish may go the algae tablets as well.

For the snail problem, you would probably be happy to know that there are several loaches that will happily snack on the snails.

What I'll suggest for easy live plants that you could maintain, would be rosette plants grown in pots.

One would be Echinodorus species, AKA Amazon sword plants. These are usually robust and range in size from a few inches tall to a few feet tall. I would suggest one or two 1 footers as the center piece of your tank.

Another plant would be the water lilies, which are misnamed as lotus in the planted tank. These are really easy to grow and maintain.

Lastly, would be the Cryptocoryne family. These plants can be grown emersed as well. So you actually might have some fun growing them out of the tank and then converting them to aquatic form for your tank. These more common of these plants will grow to about 3 to 4 inches tall.

For the Echinodorus and Water Lilies, I would suggest a pot about 6 inches in diameter or 4 to 5 inches square, about 4 inches tall. Fill them with about 2.5 inches of soil, then top them off with an inch or more (almost to the brim) of 2mm grade gravel. The pots should NOT have holes in the bottom. The soil must be fungicide, insecticide, and whatever-cide free. The best option would be to get some good planted tank soil from the aquarium. Plant one plant in there and stick in a fertiliser stick/tab/ball. Consider getting Seachem Excel as a CO2 alternative. Those help greatly.

For the Crypts. Long trays about 2 inches tall, 1 inch of soil, topped off with an inch of gravel. stick in fertiliser sticks/tab/ball (follow the packaging instructions for distribution). Plant rows of them, about 2 inches apart.

The crypts require almost no maintenance, but you must be wary of Cryptocoryne melt. Once every few months they need to be thinned.

The water lilies need to have dying leaves snipped off every few weeks or so. Occasionally, you'll need to snip of the leaves that are making a run for the surface so that the plant will continue to produce underwater leaves. Once a leaf makes it to the surface, all subsequent leaves will make the same break.

The Echinodorus also only require removal of old leaves once every few weeks. These can also be grown in semi-aquatic state. In place of the crypts you might consider the shorter ones of these species.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Re: Please recommend easy plants and snail control

So I'm wondering if there isn't a simple way of having a few really easy, resilient, inexpensive plants--snail free plants--and just maybe I could fill the rest of the tank up with silk (b/c I don't have it in me to tend a whole aquatic garden, not right now at least.)
    Thats a nice big tank.

I always stay away from fast growing plants because I hate trimmings every couple of weeks at least. Fast growing plants can be colorful but it requires a lot of maintenace pruning them. So I get medium to slow growing plants like Anubias varities --Coffefolia, Afzelli, Petite and one of my favorite Anubias barteri Golden.

For the size of your tank, I would grow Cryptocoryne varieties, Vallisneria varieties, Sword plant- you may want to search online for Echinodorous varieties for your background plantings. Green Cabomba, Yellow or Giant Cabomba are also great for backround and inexpensive. These are the plants Ive known that are always available at your local fish shop. Petco & Petsmart most likely will carry this. You may what to check online store as well like Fosters&Smith, BigAls Online, thatpetplace.

doctor's Fosters& Smith
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/?ref=4...PPC-_-G-_-4397

Big Als
    http://www.bigalsonline.com/

thatpetplace
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/index.web

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by herns; 18th Jun 2010 at 14:35. Reason: Online store link added.
    LAND OF THE FREE.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Hi, Could use a little help re: super easy, robust live plants

I have a little tank for all my miscellaneous stuff which has anubias nanas and java ferns right now. Dont recieve much light or care, however still green and going strong.