Images
    Country
    Singapore

Help with 2ft Low-tech Non CO2 tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'll be starting a low tech non CO2 tank with the size of 60cm (L) x 30cm (W) x 31cm (H). I have a few questions regarding the setup but i'll start with the substrate first.
    I'm thinking of using garden soil but is clueless as to which is a good soil as there are quite a no of brands. My friend told me to get the brand less one costing $2 a pack. He says that the nursery people refer to it as the soil that they recommend for planting lily in outdoor ponds. He used them in his 2ft low tech non CO2 tank and had great success with it but i hope to hear the views of as many people as possible before buying as i hope that my garden soil tank will be a success.
    Admiring my Fishes calm the Beast within me

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help with 2ft Low-tech Non CO2 tank

Hi there, try not to use garden soil as it is not advisable. Mostly we are using is either Gex or ADA substrate which cost lest than $15 for a KG and those substrate are full of minerals. Most important you need to set a budget too..
    New 2ft Project Coming Up
    Aquascaping since 2006-Present

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Ask your friend if he put sand or something over his garden soil. I've read that garden soil contains ammonia so to stem the flow of ammonia into the water column you gotta put a layer of sand or something similar over it.

A very good alternative will be ADA Aquasoil.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

In this project i'm hoping to spend very much lesser as compared to what most people are using like ADA, GEX or some other soil meant for aquarium use and yet have good results. Frankly i was inspired by my friend's very low cost non CO2 yet fantastic looking and good growth rate of plants in his tank.

My friend says that he put about half an inch to an inch of garden soil and top up over it with half an inch to an inch of lapis sand.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Does anybody who have used garden soil for their planted tanks care to share which brand is good? Or the dos and don'ts or what to take note of when using garden soil?