2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Some questions...before starting

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Have some questions to consult the experts here for advice before starting my new planted tank this coming weekend..

1) was considering having 2 types of substrate, sudo sand in foreground portion and ada 2 soil (background portion), but worry about the sand will be mixed by the soil in the long run.. anyway that this could be prevented?

2) any stem or bunchy plants to recommend that are relatively easy to maintain, (e.g. Cabomba needs to be uprooted to trim to maintain its shape)

3) heard that mineral rock or old sea mud is good to maintain water quality as well as increases beneficial baterial activities.. is it better to incorporate during the setup (in rock form) or dose it
    (in powder form) every now and then.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Some questions...before starting

Answers inline

Quote Originally Posted by ArCtic View Post
    Have some questions to consult the experts here for advice before starting my new planted tank this coming weekend..

1) was considering having 2 types of substrate, sudo sand in foreground portion and ada 2 soil (background portion), but worry about the sand will be mixed by the soil in the long run.. anyway that this could be prevented?

It depends on what kind of fishes you have there and how much sand they will stir up. Mixing up of soil might be unavoidable, but can be minimised with proper segregation. You can create a split level by using a divider or rocks. As the ADA soil are heavier, they would not be as easily moved as the sand. So by having a 1inch high split level, that would prevent most of the sand from moving up (so it goes back to the type of fish you will be keeping)

2) any stem or bunchy plants to recommend that are relatively easy to maintain, (e.g. Cabomba needs to be uprooted to trim to maintain its shape)

It all voice down to how you are going to scape it and what style you intend for. Plants do require maintenance, some sort or other, it's just how frequent that is needed and how much can you live with the messiness Do have some concept first then think on the plants along the way.

3) heard that mineral rock or old sea mud is good to maintain water quality as well as increases beneficial baterial activities.. is it better to incorporate during the setup (in rock form) or dose it (in powder form) every now and then.
    What do you indent to keep in there ? mineral rock and old sea mud would not be necessary in a planted tank.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Some questions...before starting

Thank you xaine for your valuable input..

1) I'll be keeping mostly cardinal tetra, dwarf pleco and pygmy cories... was thinking the possibilities of placing an acrylic sheet to separate the sand to the soil instead of placing uneven rocks slat as visually would be a eye sore with them sticking out..

2) I understand that plants do require certain degree of maintenance.. maybe I ask the question wrongly.. . what I am trying to ask was.. some stem plants when trimmed.. their new shoots would grow side ways for (e.g. Cabomba when trimmed from the top, would have their new shoots sprung out side ways of the trimmed portion instead of on the trimmed parts). Are there any stem plants to recommend that doesn't have such issue..