Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Oily patches and froth formation. Advise needed.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Question Oily patches and froth formation. Advise needed.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dont know what is happening. Oily patches floating on surface. Froth appearing every now and then. Water turning cloudy and the saddest part is to see the plants turning from green to brown. Could it be related to DIY co2 system. I thought that was one thing i got it right. Looks like have to start all over again from square one. It would be helpful if someone can try to diagnose the current problem.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Oily patches and froth formation. Advise needed.

Hi bro octopus,

don't worry if you have to do it all over again. the real learning comes from experience and "failures". I doubt it is the DIY co2 that is causing the problem, unless if the yeast mixture is actually entering the water column. I say that because i do experience the oily film on the water even without the DIY co2.

I have read the other threads about the same situation experienced by others and some say it is due to the plants releasing some substance to fish foods to formation of dust on the surface of the water. I myself can't come to a conclusion. However, i have "solved" this problem by using a rain bar and shooting the outflow against the back glass in an upward angle. This allows some aeration in the water as air bubles get created as well as to help agitate the surface of the water so that the water surface is not so still.

It has helped with my tanks. Hope it works for yours too. If not, just get a surface skimmer or manually just scoop out the top layer every now and then when you do a water change. The oily film shoould not affect your inhabitants.

As for the plants turning brown, there might be other factors such as lighting, fertilising, water temperature. So you have to be more specific so that the other bros here who have more experience can help. A picture of the tank would help too.

Just keep it up..and never give up =)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the encouragement. One thing that bothers me is the stagnant water surface as you have mentioned. Sometimes make me double check by feeling the filter because it is super quiet. I want to take up your suggestion of adding a rainbar but afraid it going to involve major modification. As can be seen (pardon the poor pic quality) output from cannister enters top of reactor and flows out below reactor where co2 is injected. Could use some suggestion on how to add a rainbar or alternatively how to improve surface agitation. Do you think the filter is undersize?. My tank size 45cm x 30cm and height 30cm. Filter : Hydo 10 flow rate 300l/h, with CR sandwiched between sponges on top and bottom of cannister. Lighting: 1 x 24watts T5 Soil: Aquaconcept soil. Temp: 30 degrees. Could certainly use any comments from fellow hobbyist if there is any shortcomings in the existing setup.

Present setup :

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

try using black molly to slurp up those surface scum.............work for me....not sure for other molly species

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Surface skimmer will premanently take care of the problem.
    LAND OF THE FREE.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I agree with bro herns. Use a surface skimmer, available at local fish shop between $ 15-20. For browning plants, use a cooling fan. Use a comprehensive liquid fertiliser like Seachem Flourish to prevent nutrients depletion. For initial dozing, use less than recommended dose so that you cut the risk of algae problems which are prevalent in new tank set ups. If your plants are bubbling, you know you have done it! Enjoy!