Country
    Malaysia

Yeast solution in aquarium

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi

I filled the bottle with a little too much water and now the yeast has risen and has entered the tank.

I took out the air stone it was connected to but is it harmless? The water is a little murky now. Is there a need to worry?

Cheers,
    Kai

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Yeast solution in aquarium

Hi

The yeast won't do any harm and will die natrally due to the lack of sugar in your tank to feed on. The only problem is clearing the murkyness as the yeast cells are very small and will not be caught by your filter and will probally take a long time to settle to the bottom so you will probally have to do water changes to clear the mess.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i kena this accident before (when i put too much water inside the bottle)
    the water will turn clear after a day or so...
    next time jsut dont fill up too much of water in the bottle ....by the way, how long can you DIY co2 last? what your mixture like?
    mine : 5ml of beer yeast
    250g sugar
    1.5L bottle
    ** can last 25days or more (of cos the longer period its last, the lesser bubbles will produce)
    Now trying to add fish food onto the mixture to see how long can last..... (protein to feed the yeast)

Quote Originally Posted by ahkarboy View Post
    Hi

I filled the bottle with a little too much water and now the yeast has risen and has entered the tank.

I took out the air stone it was connected to but is it harmless? The water is a little murky now. Is there a need to worry?

Cheers,
    Kai

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by dannyfish View Post
    i kena this accident before (when i put too much water inside the bottle)
    the water will turn clear after a day or so...
    next time jsut dont fill up too much of water in the bottle ....by the way, how long can you DIY co2 last? what your mixture like?
    mine : 5ml of beer yeast
    250g sugar
    1.5L bottle
    ** can last 25days or more (of cos the longer period its last, the lesser bubbles will produce)
    Now trying to add fish food onto the mixture to see how long can last..... (protein to feed the yeast)
    Yeast does not use protein for food it uses sugar (carbohydrates) therefore putting fish food in will only increese the possibility of bringing undesirable bacteria into the solution which may kill the yeast compleatly

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Use a check valve in between your stone diffuser and the tube to prevent water from going from either way, it definitely helps. It is about $2 at Clementi...definitely a must buy for any CO2 system

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

1. Please add the check valve.
    2. If you have not add bubble counter, please add one to aid you to do bubble count to control the amount of yeast powder you top up.
    3. By now you should be doing your next top up. Wash clean the bottle, filled up 75%-80% of water then pour into a container where you do your sugar solution stuffs, then pour back, this will ensure that you do not over-add next time. You should be able to visually see by now if it is sufficient. Use a funnel (hardware shop less than $10) if necessary to aid you to add water back to the bottle.
    4. You could add a bit of Bicarbonate of soda to increase the hardness of the solution.
    5. This one important, take the tube connecting and wash clean of all the water slimmy stuffs. This will ensure the tank do not cloud further.
    6. Wash the air stone with spray. (Can modify the tap to 2 way where a spray can be connected)

The cloudiness would be gone when you do your water change. Hope this helps.