Country
    Singapore

Help, CRS dying!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Need some urgent help to save my remaining CRS. Lost >10 from last Wed to today. All of a sudden, they slowly lost their white colour to become transparent and then dead off, redness still around. Nothing change in my routine of changing water and dosing minerals. Anyone can help advise? Still have 4 left, want to save them.

Ken

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help, CRS dying!

Pics posted would help some of the pro here to comment and advise.... also... do identify what exact did you add & it's quantity added - "dosing minerals"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Whats the nitrate, GH, temperature and pH first?
    If possible, check nitrite too

Whats your water change routine? How old's the tank and what kind of plants are in it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
    Whats the nitrate, GH, temperature and pH first?
    If possible, check nitrite too

Whats your water change routine? How old's the tank and what kind of plants are in it?
    Nitrate low, pH 6.8, no kit to measure gh.
    Weekly water change of 20%. After water change dose with old sea mud and mineral plus as per the amount recommended on the bottles.
    Tank 1 yr old, CRS in it for 3 months no issue until now.
    Mainly fissidens in the tank with a bit of flame and spider moss.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bro

From surface, my best guess is GH very high or ammonia spike from too much debris built up. By nitrate low, should be below 30ppm I'm assuming
    Do you observe them dying during moulting? What filtration are you using?

My suggestion is a 40-50% waterchange and to hold the mineral plus this round. Then observe.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bro

From surface, my best guess is GH very high or ammonia spike from too much debris built up. By nitrate low, should be below 30ppm I'm assuming
    Do you observe them dying during moulting? What filtration are you using?

My suggestion is a 40-50% waterchange and to hold the mineral plus this round. Then observe.
    Thanks Bro for the advice, doing the waterchange daily from monday to now for ~10%. Will do more and hold the mineral plus as you have suggested.
    They just lie down on their side, did not see them dying during molting, their whites just turn transparent the day they died.
    Nitrate below 10ppm. Filter used is sponage. To change to cansister filter and see if it helps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by shearerkk View Post
    Pics posted would help some of the pro here to comment and advise.... also... do identify what exact did you add & it's quantity added - "dosing minerals"
    I reached my quota of 1Mb, any idea how to free up the space?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Kenng-san, likely cause - something in your water not right. If your temperature and other parameters are normal and have not changed drastically then try the following.
    Check for parasites if they are visible, e.g. hydra.
    Check/Clean your filter suction sponge, filter may be dirty. Put some activated carbon to absorb unwanted chemicals that may be present in the water. Continuously changing water, especially if from tap may do more harm. Bacteria needs time to colonize and settle.
    Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
    Hi Kenng-san, likely cause - something in your water not right. If your temperature and other parameters are normal and have not changed drastically then try the following.
    Check for parasites if they are visible, e.g. hydra.
    Check/Clean your filter suction sponge, filter may be dirty. Put some activated carbon to absorb unwanted chemicals that may be present in the water. Continuously changing water, especially if from tap may do more harm. Bacteria needs time to colonize and settle.
    Hope this helps.
    Thank you Bro, added a cansister filter today with activated carbon.
    Will slow down the water change and observe since it should be enough for 2 days.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Cambodia

Water Pararmeter must be the case.
    Any changes in foods??? ---> just in case they contain copper.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Very sad, sign, all CRS gone today despite all the remedies.
    Thank you Bro for your advice.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sad to hear that.Don't give up on CRS!
    Cheers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by oiishi View Post
    Sad to hear that.Don't give up on CRS!
    Cheers.
    Thank you Oiishi san for your encouragement. Will lay low for a while. Need to make sure the tank is right to come back.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You are welcome.
    Think back, what changes.
    1)water parameters
    2)environment (eg spray of chemical,near to kitchen)
    3)food
    4)etc & etc

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by oiishi View Post
    You are welcome.
    Think back, what changes.
    1)water parameters
    2)environment (eg spray of chemical,near to kitchen)
    3)food
    4)etc & etc
    Not sure what is the problem as I did not change the routine, food or mineral used.
    The CRS slowly turned their whites to transparent and died.
    ph looked ok at ~6.8, nitrates is low, no kit to measure GH.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sad to hear that bro.
    IMHO, if something in the water is already killing shrimps, I'll just go ahead with a large waterchange to remove the toxins.
    Why worry bout the waterchange stressing the shrimps when the existing conditions are already stressing them to death already...?

I personally can testify that waterchanges do not kill shrimps, I think its a myth. I do weekly change of 50% every sundays and dig up the soil to push eroded soil back up the slope. The tank looks totally cloudy and temperature goes up from 24.5 to almost 27.5 as I have to turn off everything to do cleaning and to trim the HC. This condition persists for almost 2 hours, even after I switch things back on.
    The fire reds and high grade CRS could hardly care and will come and disturb my hands and play in the mud (and get in my way). No obvious deaths resulted from all this destructions.

With that being said, one has to ensure that the filtration is good (i.e overkill above and beyond the current bioload), nitrates are kept within the safe limits and it certainly helps to have some fast growing plants that are healthily blooming in the tank. I recommend hornworts for CO2 injected tanks and frogbits for non-CO2 tanks.

Don't be discouraged bro, try again with an easier shrimp first.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sad to hear that bro.
    IMHO, if something in the water is already killing shrimps, I'll just go ahead with a large waterchange to remove the toxins.
    Why worry bout the waterchange stressing the shrimps when the existing conditions are already stressing them to death already...?

I personally can testify that waterchanges do not kill shrimps, I think its a myth. I do weekly change of 50% every sundays and dig up the soil to push eroded soil back up the slope. The tank looks totally cloudy and temperature goes up from 24.5 to almost 27.5 as I have to turn off everything to do cleaning and to trim the HC. This condition persists for almost 2 hours, even after I switch things back on.
    The fire reds and high grade CRS could hardly care and will come and disturb my hands and play in the mud (and get in my way). No obvious deaths resulted from all this destructions.

With that being said, one has to ensure that the filtration is good (i.e overkill above and beyond the current bioload), nitrates are kept within the safe limits and it certainly helps to have some fast growing plants that are healthily blooming in the tank. I recommend hornworts for CO2 injected tanks and frogbits for non-CO2 tanks.

Don't be discouraged bro, try again with an easier shrimp first.
    Thank you bro for the advice, I am also thinking of 50% water change today.
    So far the fire reds, sakuras and cherries are totally not affected.