Thread: Cryptocoryne

Feedback Score

Cryptocoryne

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello,
    I'm brand new to this forum and hope someone can shed some light on a question I have.
    First the stats:
    2-55 gal. planted tanks
    Injected CO2
    Flourite Substrate
    pH = 6.5
    kH = 4
    temp = 78 degrees F
    Lighting = 80watts in one tank....160 watts in the other
    Plants - Swords, Anubias, Tiger and Green Lotus, Bacopia, Vals., Apons.,Riccia & Repens.
    Everything grows very well and I'm pleased with the results except for the Crypts. I have Balansae that do fairly well. I also have Wendti that are just hanging in there. Can't figure out why. Some have been planted for nearly a year, undisturbed. They seem to start growing and then stop and lose a few leaves. I use in-substrate plant tabs as well as dosing N,K,P, and Traces. I also dose Fe when they need it.
    Any feedback/suggestions would be appreciated.
    Len

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    All crypts will do better with rich substrate. Root tabs near the roots will definitely help.

Some crypts will be better with lesser lights. Might want to try planting them is partially shaded areas.

BC

Feedback Score
    Thanks BC. The ones that are shaded by some Anubias do seem to be doing somewhat better than the others. I just thought that 80 watts and 160 watts in 55gal tanks(23" deep) would be sort of a 'low light' situation.
    Somebody on another forum said I was "pampering" them too much. I guess I'll just neglect them for a while and see what happens.
    Len

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    BC, have you tried crypts emersed on planted in "swamp" i.e. rich substrate with permanent 1-inch deep water?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No. I have not tried that. In the wild they probably grow in that kind of environment. I bet they will grow great.

It'll be interesting if you see them flower when they are emmerse or partially emmerse. A number of crypts look similar to each other and you can't really tell them apart until you see their flowers.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    I have found little need for rich substrates and growing crypts well, perhaps iron rich, but not really much else. For emergent tanks, a rich substrate becomes the ONLY source for nutrients besides a weekly misting etc.

You should be able to grow the plants outside in Singapore.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Tom, that is not the case in my experience. I have plain gravel as substrate. I have tried to grow the crypts for months without much success even with fertilisation to the water. Each new leaf will melt away after 2-3 weeks. Each plant has not more than 5 leaves. It was until i added root tabs (mainly NPK with traces of Fe) to the substrate, they sprung into life immediately.

BC

Feedback Score
    Ok, now we're back to square one....this is where I came in. That's been my experience. They'll grow a few leaves and then shed them. They look like they're ready to start to grow and then.....nothing. Even with Root Tabs!!!
    I'm starting to believe that small inconsistencies in the water column (pH changes or CO2ppm variances) affect them more than I was aware of.
    Any thoughts on that?
    Len

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't know, I had a 1ft cube in the office with 20°C water temperature, 1½-inch of ADA aquasoil. There are C. wendtii, C. aponogetifolia, C. crispatula var balansae, and C. griffithi. All melted in the first week and started regrowing leaves, even the griffithi which is known to be difficult. No liquid fert, 9W PL light, small bioload (20+ Sundadanio axelrodi). USing Liberty 100 filter with active carbon pad, so water change only every 4-6 weeks.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    From what I've read in your postings so far, it appears that you have crypts other than C. balansae and C. wendtii. Maybe you can ID those crypts so that forumers with experience keeping them can share their experiences.

(I've read that) Some crypts are more sensitive to others. There are even some posts on certain crypts melting because of a heatwave a couple of months back.

I only have C. retrospiralis and C. parva in my tank. Both exhibited different behaviour:

All the mature leaves of my C. retrospiralis melted upon planting - Young leaves are spared though. After recovering from the initial rot, each rhizome threw around 2 leaves per month (up to now at least).

Only a very, very small number of leaves melted for my C. parva. Unfortunately, there are hardly any new leaves after being in the tank for 2 months now - They are known to be slow growers. To my surprise, I found runners when I pulled out 2 rhizomes recently to make space for my Nymphaea!
    ThEoDoRe