Country
    Singapore

tank overhaul time...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Happy happy CNY [] [] []

I've been waiting for this week to do my big overhaul for my 80cm tank, so now I'm going to need some help and advise. Thanx much in advance.

OK. Tank dimension is 80×30×45(height) cm. I am planning to use JBL base fert and lonestar gravel. My questions:

1. how thick should I put the base fert?
    2. Is this the lowest layer (ie do I put some gravel below this)?
    3. where to buy, how much to buy (eg how many packets), how much should I expect to pay?
    4. how thick should I put the gravel?
    5. is there only one kind of lonestar gravel?
    6. how many kg or packets to buy for my tank size and your recommended thickness?

BTW, I plan to have glosso, riccia, one red lotus, and some stem plants such as bacopa. Oh and some taiwan moss.

thanx again in advance.

ps: NIZZ, tonight I'm going to take a knife to my Nathura tank, wish me success
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/13/2002 10:13:51 PM

Happy happy CNY [] [] []

I've been waiting for this week to do my big overhaul for my 80cm tank, so now I'm going to need some help and advise. Thanx much in advance.

OK. Tank dimension is 80×30×45(height) cm. I am planning to use JBL base fert and lonestar gravel. My questions:

1. how thick should I put the base fert?
    2. Is this the lowest layer (ie do I put some gravel below this)?
    3. where to buy, how much to buy (eg how many packets), how much should I expect to pay?
    4. how thick should I put the gravel?
    5. is there only one kind of lonestar gravel?
    6. how many kg or packets to buy for my tank size and your recommended thickness?

BTW, I plan to have glosso, riccia, one red lotus, and some stem plants such as bacopa. Oh and some taiwan moss.

thanx again in advance.

ps: NIZZ, tonight I'm going to take a knife to my Nathura tank, wish me success
    ----------------
    Hi choy, upgrading?

1) base fert, shld be as thick as possible.. 3cm thick or according to the gradient of yr gravel surface (u shld have it sloped)
    2) lowest layer is the base fert
    3) JBL base fert? Petmart, Havelock, Gan (they r ard $18-20 for a 5kg pack) for amount, go to dennerle web site.. they have a calculation table
    4) Gravel, 2cm?
    5) another brand has taken over lonestar, same gravel but different brand
    6) same as for the calculation for base fert.

choy, Gan's planted tank is lonestar and JBL base fert, oso depending on the kinda plants u wish to have, the bigger plants shld be position on a thicker gravel+base fert (thats when u slope)

creating a gradient is good when u have big plants which requires a better support for their large rooting system to hold up the plants, the other reason to sloping the gravel is the ease of view.. at least it creates a 3dimensional view

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanx for the help, I'm going to drop by Gan's today to get the stuff.

Simon, not upgrading, just ripping out the internal filter like Nizz. Now I have a proper rectangular tank again

More questions:

For the size of the tank, how high should I fill the water? I'm planning to fill up to 1-inch from the top rim.

I now have 40 cardinals, 20 green neons, 3 rummy-nose (1 commited suicide last night by jumping out of their temporary home[] , a baby bathtub). quite a few guppies that refuse to die [] and 30 malayan shrimps. Is this too much bioload? I'm thinking of bringing total fish-count down to 40 or so.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi choy, if yr fishes r committing sucide then lower the water level & yes, u r over the load with fishes

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Simon, thanx for the advise. Got the gravel and JBL fert from Gan's today. Fert only $16. So what happened to his Madagasca Lace Plant?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    died, becoz we increase the temp by 1 degree.. so now, we have replace it with the E. Ozelot 'green' & 'red'

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Simon, too bad about the lace plant.

Anyway thanks again for recommending the Dennerle calculator, its damn accurate man. It told me I needed 9l of base fert, so I bought 2 packs of JBL which is 5l each. Used up both. Told me I needed 10kg of gravel, and I have exactly half a bag of lonestar left

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    BTW, have you guys seen the armoured cats in the outside tank at Gan's. There's one (only one) weird looking guy with lots of armour plated scales, just like medieval soldiers. Well, in case any catfish fanatics don't know yet, go there now! some guy already made off with $200 worth of catfish while I was there (for only 2 fish) []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    remember when u do your glosso... make sure they can reach the stupid base fert... use less gravel there or whatever but just make sure they can reach base fert... don't end up like me... end up crushing up root monster and used twisers to stuff in lil bits between glosso...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/14/2002 11:51:34 PM

BTW, have you guys seen the armoured cats in the outside tank at Gan's. There's one (only one) weird looking guy with lots of armour plated scales, just like medieval soldiers. Well, in case any catfish fanatics don't know yet, go there now! some guy already made off with $200 worth of catfish while I was there (for only 2 fish) []
    ----------------
    what's the body shape like? the one with a lot of scales?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/16/2002 3:40:12 AM

remember when u do your glosso... make sure they can reach the stupid base fert... use less gravel there or whatever but just make sure they can reach base fert... don't end up like me... end up crushing up root monster and used twisers to stuff in lil bits between glosso...
    ----------------
    ryan, thanx for the advise, however as you were writing I was just finishing with the planting. Fortunately I did read about this little problem in this forum and plunge them all the way down until only a part of the top 2 leaves are showing. My gravel is about 3cm so they ought to be able to reach. how long does it take to see some activities from them?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/16/2002 3:59:30 AM

what's the body shape like? the one with a lot of scales?

----------------
    it is brown with a "velvety" texture, looks like a gigantic buah salak (snake skin fruit), around 6-8in long I think.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm thinking of putting stem plants like bacopa and rotala (I like plants with fleshy leaves) for middle and background. I'm using riccia and glosso for foreground. Where would be a good place to buy bacopa? Didn't see any at Teo's yesterday. Got from him a cockscrew and a lotus, the cockscrew came with a seed even, interesting!

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    errr.. what is the dennerle web site? i went to www.dennerle.com and it shows under construction.. want to find out the level of gravel or fertilizer to buy...

Simon, once i start on it.. u had better be ard.. i dun know what to go abt it leh..hahahhaa... me a complete FW planted tank idiot.. let alone filterless.. btw, can include a small powerhead inside? i have a spare one..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    can.. add a powerhead for circulation, but the current cant be too strong

dennerle site = www.dennerle.de

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Kel, if you perturb the water too much your plants will not bubble. I was quite startled when I turned off my filter and notice even my BBA-covered moss and sword bubbles.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok.. thanks for the info..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    OK, my tank is up with plants and malayan shrimps, no fish yet as it is I'm still waiting for it to settle. Two questions:

1. I would like to get ph, KH, and NO2/NO3 test kits. Which ones do you recommend. I would prioritise base on (1) accuracy (2) cheap cheap and (3) ease of use.

2. Also the plants bubble better with the filter off. I suppose this means they are making more food for themselves and healtier? Can I do a reverse cycle for my filter, ie filter goes off when lights/CO2 comes on, filter comes on when lights/CO2 goes off?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/18/2002 1:26:51 AM

OK, my tank is up with plants and malayan shrimps, no fish yet as it is I'm still waiting for it to settle. Two questions:

1. I would like to get ph, KH, and NO2/NO3 test kits. Which ones do you recommend. I would prioritise base on (1) accuracy (2) cheap cheap and (3) ease of use.

2. Also the plants bubble better with the filter off. I suppose this means they are making more food for themselves and healtier? Can I do a reverse cycle for my filter, ie filter goes off when lights/CO2 comes on, filter comes on when lights/CO2 goes off?
    ----------------
    2. as for the bubbling better when the filter is off, it's due to two reasons
    a. bacteria in the filter aren't able to use the oxygen
    b. less filter output, less surface agitation, less oxygen lost to air
    as you might have surmised, bubbling occurs when oxygen is hypersaturated in water

i wouldn't advise turning off the filter
    given a good 8~12 hours without power, the bacteria in the filter are unlikely to survive
    the end result is going to be unknown, but i'd think that when you do it, the products of decomposition are going to screw up your tank chemistry big time

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/18/2002 1:42:03 AM
    2. as for the bubbling better when the filter is off, it's due to two reasons
    a. bacteria in the filter aren't able to use the oxygen
    b. less filter output, less surface agitation, less oxygen lost to air
    as you might have surmised, bubbling occurs when oxygen is hypersaturated in water

i wouldn't advise turning off the filter
    given a good 8~12 hours without power, the bacteria in the filter are unlikely to survive
    the end result is going to be unknown, but i'd think that when you do it, the products of decomposition are going to screw up your tank chemistry big time

----------------
    DEA, when you say hypersaturated with oxygen do you mean that when plants bubble the water is oxygen-rich and even without aeration or with surface protein the fishes will not suffocate?

OK. No turning off filter. Thanx.