Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Need recommendation on internal filter...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Need recommendation on internal filter...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I've a 2ft community tank with a Dyna overhead power filter.

I'd like to add in a small internal filter, something that's not too strong. Anyone with a good brand/model to recommend?

I read in a magazine that Eheim has one with a removable filterbox. That is, the bracket is fixed to the glass and the filterbox can be removed for cleaning. Not sure if this has a flow adjuster. Of course, it's to be quiet...

Preferably no carbon in it, cos I just want it to help with filtration and aeration only.

Which LFS has a wide range of internal filters? Petmart? Where else, cos I understand that Petmart will be closed this AND next week...

Thanks!
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    give C328 a try. They have lots of equpiments there. But don't know when they are opening back for business.

Feedback Score
    Hi Coryfav

The one u r talking abt shld be the 2006, 2008, 2010 & 2012 models fr Eheim.

& yes, they have flow adjuster. The 2006 shld cost abt $30+ (I'm using this for my 2ft until i get an external canister)

Another brand/model dat some of the fellas here have recommended is the Eden 304 & 316. They r very small, esp the 304. & the flow can be adjusted too. Price shld be $20-$23 (maybe cheaper at C32. I believe the Eden ones wld be more gentle to plants when compared to the eheim 2006.

Hope the abv helps...

Nizz

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    juz fyi, 2006 doesn't have airline attachments while the others do

Feedback Score
    Agree wif DEA. The 2008 oso has no air inlet...

Nizz

----------------
    On 2/13/2002 11:36:23 PM

juz fyi, 2006 doesn't have airline attachments while the others do
    ----------------

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    er...

gurus, i thought internal filter only has water inlet and outlet? what's airline and air inlet for?

sorry, abit blur here cos i've only used an internal filter once before. it's a german brand from a colleague, inlet was between the suckers and i stopped using it when one of my corys got stuck in there. luckily he survived!

my experience with internal filter is only 1 wire attached to the filter which is fully submersible?

can explain further? thanks!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Hi Coryfav

Hahaha...firstly, me no guru hor....the rest prob r tho' (DEA, simon, etc...) I just happen to know these models as i was researching for 1 too...

I think wat u r referring to is the water inlet (as opposed to airline/air inlet). Dat's where the water gets sucked into the filter, 'cleaned' thru' the filter media, & out via the outlet.

The airline attachment DEA is referring to can be seen in the pic abv...dat straw-like thingy coming out fr the back...i believe it's for the connection to the airpump (or maybe CO2?! Not too sure here can or not here...)

Nizz

----------------
    On 2/14/2002 10:24:07 AM

er...

gurus, i thought internal filter only has water inlet and outlet? what's airline and air inlet for?

sorry, abit blur here cos i've only used an internal filter once before. it's a german brand from a colleague, inlet was between the suckers and i stopped using it when one of my corys got stuck in there. luckily he survived!

my experience with internal filter is only 1 wire attached to the filter which is fully submersible?

can explain further? thanks!
    ----------------

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks for your help, nizz!

so i presume that the "no air inlet and airline" is for things other than water to go in! co2, etc...?

thanks to takashi & dea for your advices too! i knew i could count on all of you!

will check if c328 is opened today. mainly looking for a small one with flow adjuster and removeable filterbox, that is, don't need to disturb the bracket with the suckers.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, the addition of the air inlet for internal filters is for the generation of bubbles & therefore, increase oxygenation in the tank. Hope this make sense. Air is sucked in through an air inlet (usually connected to the water output of the filter), through venturi effect and pushed out through the filter output in the form of tiny bubbles, these bubbles will rise to the water surface and burst, agitating the water surface & thereby increasing the oxygen level in the tank.
    So, whether you need this additional level of surface agitation for increased oxygenation is up to you.

Cheers.
    When driving, make sure your mata is not on the wanita!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    BTW, on the recommendation on where to buy internal filters, I would always try to take a look at what are offered at TP69. By far, they have the cheapest prices around. For eg, I bought a Atman II liquid filter for $18 at C328, and the same filter goes for $12 at TP69.
    Make your own choice.

Cheers.
    When driving, make sure your mata is not on the wanita!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks, all!

Did some studying in the sites:

2008 with "air diffuser for regulating oxygen enrichment". now i understand...!

Now is to wait for the LFS to open for business again!

But I think 2008 maybe abit too bulky for my 2ft, which already has an overhead filter...

Maybe I can just put the 2006 at the lowest flow rate, and nearer to the surface...?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i is not guru, i is human being
    wat species is guru, homo sapiens guruensis? []

size of 2008 comparable to 2006
    might as well get the bigger one

Feedback Score
    Your humility is an example to all of us here who are unworthy of thee...[]

Anyway...just a thot DEA. I agree the size is of not much diff, but the pump output is abt 3x diff (2006 vs 200. Wouldn't this have some 'negative' effects on the tank e.g. on soft stemmed plants, promoting algae (fast flowing water), etc., esp. for a 2ft tank.

Comments pls...

Nizz

----------------
    On 2/14/2002 5:10:08 PM

i is not guru, i is human being
    wat species is guru, homo sapiens guruensis? []

size of 2008 comparable to 2006
    might as well get the bigger one
    ----------------

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    For a community fish only tank, a stronger filter would be better. For a planted 2ft tank, Eden 304 is quite good except for the frequent cleaning.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/14/2002 6:21:12 PM

Anyway...just a thot DEA. I agree the size is of not much diff, but the pump output is abt 3x diff (2006 vs 200. Wouldn't this have some 'negative' effects on the tank e.g. on soft stemmed plants, promoting algae (fast flowing water), etc., esp. for a 2ft tank.

Comments pls...

Nizz
    ----------------
    the flow of the 2008 is controllable, i believe, with a piece of plastic attached to a handle

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

Inspected the Eden 304 in Carrefour last evening - very, very cute!

Hee, hee, going to try and get one from B328 later, just cannot resist!

Of course, going to see Eheim too, most probably get one cos this's better, when it comes to cleaning.

Thanks!

Where is C328?

Feedback Score
    clementi ave 2 blk 328

shop name is clementi florist and aquarium.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i jus bought a fluval internal filter for my 1.5ft apisto tank.. $22, ard the same size as the ehiem