8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

yamato shrimps die.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i introduced anubias on wood and 10 yamato shrimps to my existing 5 yamato shrimp fleet and suddenly most of it died. can someone tell me whether the plant is the cause of this?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: yamato shrimps die.

Is your tank cycled? Did you acclimatise your new shrimps to your tank water? Any chemicals added to tank? Shrimps are more sensitive to water parameters so it could be one of these reasons your shrimps died.
    Rob
    "Natura non facit saltum"

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If the plant came from a farm that may have been using pesticides or other chemicals to get rid of pests, then yes. It is always advisable to give your new plants a good rinse before usage, and also to quarantine them much the same way as you would with fish. Since you already had 5 surviving shrimps before this happened, I take it that the tank is already cycled beforehand.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

tank is cycled, has around 40 plus neon and cardinal tetras, a couple of small suckermouths and 5 yamato shrimps. i did rinse the anubia and i left the shrimps in the bag on the water. there are around 5 or 6 shrimps left, which i believe is the initial 5 (maybe 1 or 2 of the new ones survived.) is it possible that the anubia's stem broke and the toxic sap made the shrimps die?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

For shrimp the acclimatization process also includes a phase of slowly mixing the tank with the packaging water so that the shrimp slowly 'taste' the new water of the tank in increasing concentration until they can be safely introduced to the tank. Simply allowing them to familiarize themselves with the temperature of the tank isn't enough for shrimp. That might be why your shrimp died.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

okay, i'll try that.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgangs246 View Post
    For shrimp the acclimatization process also includes a phase of slowly mixing the tank with the packaging water so that the shrimp slowly 'taste' the new water of the tank in increasing concentration until they can be safely introduced to the tank. Simply allowing them to familiarize themselves with the temperature of the tank isn't enough for shrimp. That might be why your shrimp died.
    do i need to acclimatise them again if i transfer them from one tank to another?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

That would depend on how different the water parameters are between the tanks. If there are significant PH/GH/Temperature differences, I would advice you to acclimatise them as if they were new.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i am now acclimatising new shrimps by introducing small amounts of tank water every few hours, into the bag and water it came with. when i do let them out into the tank, do i release it together with the accumulated water in the bag or otherwise? please advice.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If you don't trust the bag water to be free of bad things like disease/bacteria/algae spores, then fish your shrimp out gently and release them into the tank. If you bought them from a place you trust, then you can empty them out into the water. But thats your call.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i read somewhere that it's best not to let the fish/shrimp expose itself to air. is netting it out considered exposing to air?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It is but when you net them from the tanks to put in the container before the LFS staff pack it, same thing right?

Just don't take too long to transfer them.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

sometimes i just don't get what some articles are writing online... so irritating.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Read everything with a pinch of salt, and learn through trial and error with the aid of suggestions from your fellow forumers. That will help you more. Note, some of these articles are written by people located in temperate countries with different water conditions. So what they occasionally write is inapplicable to us in Singapore because of varying water parameters.

For example, people in the US may come from places where the water is mineralized because it is drawn from ground water in an iron-rich/mineral rich area. In Singapore our water is usually from estuarine reservoirs or from our central catchment area where water can be very soft in nature. So even in our tiny island, we have varying degrees of water parameters. For example, someone in CCK may have soft water with pH below 7 when it comes out of the tap yet another person in Sengkang may be getting pH 7.8 out of his tapwater.

So read and try to learn things as you go along. Its a simple hobby when you don't think too much of the nitty gritty details.