Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UV from FLs and PLs

UV from FLs and PLs

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi folks,

I finally found a source for UV filter films, you can buy them from the V-kool supplier which sells at abt $15 per square feet.

I'm buying them for my FLs light strip then don't need to buy expensive Dennerle lights already.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    can they be used with MH?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hmm...interesting...does the film change the colour of the lights?
    My Apisto Keeping Diary
    Apistogramma agassizii, Apistogramma bitaeniata "Careiro", Apistogramma brevis, Apistogramma elizabethae, Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma sp. "Miua", Dicrossus filamentosus

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    simon, no point for MH coz now the MH bulbs are UV stop coated already....Weileong..if i am not wrong, there is a certain amount tolerance so you need to check.....and also if it shields out all different wave length......UVA UVB and most important UVC

Interesting ......anyway how are you ...errh sticking the film to your light hoods?
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Khoo,

Wow I didn't know abt this UVA, UVB, UVC etc. Thought only UV, this V-Kool thing I was referring is for car use and is supposed to filter up to 99.5% of UV rays and up to 60% in IR from the sun. Visible light lost is very min.

I'm installing it on my car on Wed so just ask if they have left overs that I could use on my light hood.

I'm getting them to stick it to the "cover" of the light hood and hopefully help reduce the heat transfer to the tank as well.

Jacian, this film I'm referring to is the "UV protect" and is a clear coat, it does not alter the color of the light as it is not tinted.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    weileong...call me david can?

anyway...if it is for car should be all the three light band.....but if if is fl or pl should be more to UVA, UVB, and very little UVC.....[] ..this part is too tech for me...but just for dicussion, 60% of IR....would it filter off all the red spectrum....leaving very little color spec..for the plants?
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Is it that necessary to filter out the flourescent light? I understand if it is for MH but FL/PL light you're filtering the UV........ not to mention, the filter don't come cheap......
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    er... fl and pl.. the normal tubes we use for tanks(6500k) have very little(almost 0) UVB... i thin it's only UVA that you need to block out...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    that depends....usually more incline to PL....if you have kelvin range from 8500 up the UV presences is there.....especially blue tubes....10kelvins.. there are some FL in the blue spectrum range as well.

hey hey sherchoo welcome home......[]
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/24/2001 6:05:13 PM

that depends....usually more incline to PL....if you have kelvin range from 8500 up the UV presences is there.....especially blue tubes....10kelvins.. there are some FL in the blue spectrum range as well.

hey hey sherchoo welcome home......[]
    ----------------
    That means, there is no need for UV filtering for FL/PL tubes rite since our planted tank tubes are abt 6500K.

David,
    Thanx for the welcome..... problem is me leaving again but only maybe on the 4th Jan.... sign
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    sherchoo..i dont know what to say... how is your other half taking this travelling thing....
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    no quality time [:]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/24/2001 11:37:47 PM

sherchoo..i dont know what to say... how is your other half taking this travelling thing....
    ----------------
    Obviously not very well.... but wat to do... times are bad... juz got to suck it up and tahan for a while lor.....

Khoo,
    Please call me Sherwin.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

I just installed the UV-cut film, instead of using the V-cool one which rejects IR and UV and bloody expensive (1 ft^2 cost $15). This film cost me just $11 for a 50cmx1.5m sheet. This sheet passes 94% of visible light and blocks off the UV. What can you lose to give it a try at $11.

First I install on just 1 light hood then compare with the other two, no visible difference, brightness is the same as the other two so I proceed to install for the other two as well.

Now plants are still bubbling and fish are happy. If you guys are interested you can get them from autobacs in paya lebar I can tell you where or maybe get it this sat during the gathering. Installation is a bit tricky so if you need help let me know

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Does the installation involve a spray? I've seen the installing sun-X film b4... first they spray some liquid then apply the film with a pastic 'scrapper'.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    er... very stupid question.. why would you need one? the water is filter it off mah...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/27/2001 11:35:00 PM

er... very stupid question.. why would you need one? the water is filter if off mah...
    ----------------
    i have no problems understanding sherwin's question
    i have no idea what you are talking about

----------------
    On 12/27/2001 10:25:56 PM

Does the installation involve a spray? I've seen the installing sun-X film b4... first they spray some liquid then apply the film with a pastic 'scrapper'.
    ----------------
    Yes that is exactly how it is done, exactly the same. First spray water then put the film on then cut to shape, next take out the unwanted layer then spray water again onto both surface (film and glass) then put the film on and push out all the water and air bubbles then wait for it to dry.

I also cannot understand what Tristan meant by "the water if filter". pls explain????[:0]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    waa.. sorry.. so many typos... haven't been sleeping enough...
    anyway...
    the water will filter out the UV rite?

----------------
    the water will filter out the UV rite?
    ----------------
    I'm not sure about that but the UV has to be absorb by the water if it were to be filtered out by the water. This UV will oxidise the vitamins and trace elements in the water (according to Denerrle who tell you not to use regular FLs as they emit UVs and to use their special FLs tubes as they have the UV absorbing coating but that cost $50/tube).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast