1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

cherry shrimps.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i received about 40 free Cherries from navanod lately. but i have 2 questions:

how long does it take to grow to an adult?

what are the % a cherry's eggs will grow to a fire red?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: cherry shrimps.

Hi bro,

I can answer this myself, hahaha!

Growth depends on food and temperature but on average, it takes about 5-6 months to reach full adult size. However, they tend to start breeding much earlier than that.

Maybe 0%. Normally, my colony of fire reds and painted red should not be producing cherry grade shrimps at all. I suspect these came in when I bought some new fire red females that were already carrying eggs. These eggs were probably fertilized by poorly colored males and thus the babies were cherry grade.
    With careful breeding, the colors will improve after many generations (fire reds first started out as cherry afterall) but with readily available fire reds being sold in LFS, its probably faster to buy.

Just to maintain a fire red line is already quite time consuming...as 10-15% of the offsprings may be sakura grade or have strange mutations (I'm getting alot of Rili looking ones lately) that must be removed from the breeding tank or the entire colony will degrade with time.
    Also, to prevent excessive inbreeding, which will cause health issues after many generations due to poor/limited gene pool, new fire reds must be brought in from other sources to hopefully keep the gene pool healthy.

Work on learning how to keep the cherries and CRS you have now healthy and breeding first bro. You can upgrade to higher end shrimps later when you have the experience and stable tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Cambodia

Re: cherry shrimps.

Around 2 months from birth to get berried.
    Tested and recorded.