Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Red face Duration of water cycle before introducing lifestock

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear Bro!! please help me... i recently started a new planted tank and after abt 2 days i try to put in some fishes like tetras how ever i realise the fishes all goes up to the surface and one is seem to be like almost dying... may i know what the cause if this? i let the tank cycle for 2 days is it too short?? my tank is abt 3ft by 1.5 by 1.5

i have now place the fishes back to old tank.

Please advice!!

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Duration of water cycle before introducing lifestock

new planted tank.. has the water cleared? for mine it took around 1 month to cycle...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

the water clear la butnot in the natural way i use the super clear to expertite!!!

so i dun know know if it cos of that that cause the fishes to react that way. you mention 1 month.. then u add in fishes?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If possible test your water using Nitrate, nitrite and ammonia test kits. When the Nitrate and nitrite register as 0 and your ammonia is low, then it is safe to add your fish to the new tank. You should probably stop any CO2 injection if you have it.

If you have an old tank, you can speed up the cycling process by transferring part of the filter media from your old tank to your new one.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ok bro so i have to buy a test kit before iintroduce new fishes.
    1) how is stopping theCO2 is important? and by shutting the CO2 how will the plant get C02? and how long must the co2 stop before we inject in again?

my plant seem to grow pretty well and base on the indicator it at a reasonable level.

sorry for asking so much so i really new in this planted so i hope you able to guide me.

Thanks bro!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

did you acclimatise the fish?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes i did acclimatise the fish before i release but they just react stangely...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Somehow I think 2 days of cycle might not be enough for fishes..
    Still think at least a week to be safer but I know some LFS 3 days add in fauna already (shrimps.. )
    钱不是问题!问题是。。。我没有钱。。。
    花钱像拉屎一样简单,赚钱像吃屎一样难。。。

http://alvinchan80.blog.fc2.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Some LFS added fauna after 3 days as they use some used filter media from other matured tank. A faster cycle is achieved by adding used filter media from another tank. The BB and your plants will help to absorb the ammonia. Once the ammonia is zero, you may add fish. Fish will then produce some ammonia for the BB to stay alive. But for better result, do nitrate, nitrite, ammonia before you add fish, just in case. When your tank has finished cycling, you should see 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and a large amount of Nitrates. Do a large water change to bring that Nitrate level down to below 20 and you are ready for your fish. Just my 2 cent.
    Last edited by Dean; 15th Dec 2010 at 12:21.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Some LFS added fauna after 3 days as they use some used filter media from other matured tank. A faster cycle is achieved by adding used filter media from another tank. The BB and your plants will help to absorb the ammonia. Once the ammonia is zero, you may add fish. Fish will then produce some ammonia for the BB to stay alive. But for better result, do nitrate, nitrite, ammonia before you add fish, just in case. When your tank has finished cycling, you should see 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and a large amount of Nitrates. Do a large water change to bring that Nitrate level down to below 20 and you are ready for your fish. Just my 2 cent.
    agree with the reading of ammonia, nitrite & nitrate... Thanks for detail explanation bro~

but for the LFS, i referring to are shrimps which the only filtration is air sponge filter.. but well, everyone has their own way of getting their fauna up and running..
    钱不是问题!问题是。。。我没有钱。。。
    花钱像拉屎一样简单,赚钱像吃屎一样难。。。

http://alvinchan80.blog.fc2.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you bros for all the imput. i will be more patience and also test for amonia first before adding fishes. hope the fishes will beable to have a condusive enviroment! Cheers

Many thanks bro!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My new tank cycle:
    Stage 1: Empty tank (with water of course), substrate, filter running and fast growing floating plant eg cabomba (1-2weeks)
    Stage 2: Replace top filter material, remove fast growing plant and start add other plants ( no fish yet) (1 month)
    Stage 3: Add fish eg tetras, shrimps. try not to put cichlids as they tend to dig around.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Halimlee85 View Post
    the water clear la butnot in the natural way i use the super clear to expertite!!!

so i dun know know if it cos of that that cause the fishes to react that way. you mention 1 month.. then u add in fishes?
    hmm nope.. added in some wild guppies after a week of adding in water...
    Too much of a fish SIAO to quit fish keeping/fishing..