Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Blue Spotted stingray refuse to eat

Feedback Score

Blue Spotted stingray refuse to eat

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Do you guys still remember shark problem I had? Well, That problem had been solved and the situation had been stabalized. Recently, I 've set up another marine tank for the blue spotted stingray. Big problem now, that baby just refused to eat anything. His behaviour is pretty all right. Been covering itself with the sand occasionally, been swimming on and off. Breathing is regular. what can be the problem? I've tried feeing live freshwater prawns, pieces of tiger prawns, fishes and sotongs(squids). nothing seems to work. I was so tempted to perform a force feeding but was put off by that sting on his tail. I desperately need help or he's gonna down.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Firstly, how big is it and the tank size? they required subdued lightings..and minimum a 3ft sand bed tank.... likewise, check the water parameters.. if it feeds, feed once a day, anyway.. blue spotted ray can become tamed once they associate the method of feeding (hand fed) as food.. they will swim to u when u clean the tank.. but dun take chances.. []
    where u bought it?
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Re: Blue Spotted stingray refuse to eat

I am having the same problem feeding my blue spot ribbontail. I just got it two days ago. It is about 6" in diameter. I offered pieces of shrimp but no luck. It is in a 125 gal with a small ammount of live rock just for a nice cave for it. Please lend me some help on feeding. Thanx.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Try those polychaetes they sell as fishing bait.
    Aquafauna Supplies
    [email protected]
    Business registration: 53165583X
    Distributor for Fauna Marin
    Distributor for Reed Mariculture, Reef Nutrition, APBreed
    Distributor for Algagen
    Distributor for Dr G's Mariculture
    Distributor for Florida Aquafarms
    Distributor for Repashy Superfoods
    Reef & freshwater aquariums, vivarium, terrarium, paludarium.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Actually I got some PE mysis shrimp that were pretty good in size. I squirted them near it with a turkey baster and he finally started eating. Thanks alot though. With my white ribbon eel I still can't get him to eat. Or I don't know if he is because I never see it. He usually comes out swimming at night but I haven't seen him in two days. Any ideas on feeding?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Have you tried live food?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Yea. I didn't see him for 2 days then found him dead in my sump. He must have swam in my overflow box. Not cool. I'm def going 2 put screens on tha hoses. Thanks tho.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry to hear about your eel ..

Glad that your ray is finally eating though. I used to fish alot and from my experience, rays love live shrimps & sand whitings. Alot of my fishing buddies caught huge rays (40lbs) with a 2~3inch sand whiting. (Personally I caught a 500g blue spotted sting ray on live shrimp using circle hooks - it was catch and released unharmed since i seldom eat fish!)

Not sure if the area you stay allows this but i used to goto the beach at night armed with a powerful torchlight and long handle net to catch sand whitings for fun. If the tide is right, I can get up to 20+ little ones as bait .

Come to think of it, i could probably start off a small tank to see if they can be kept in captivity ....