Country
    Singapore

Question Please advice if my moss will survive

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Just bought one of those moss that the LFS attached a big driftwood, around $25-30 kind at Bedok yesterday. (auntie @ C328 quoted $28 also) Shop owner says its Java moss but I suspect may be Singapore moss.

My 2 feet tank in my bedroom, room temperature is around 26 - 28 degrees. Was thinking if the moss will survive with no light because I don't want my table lamp to increase unnecessary temperature to the tank. I have no intention for fertilizers.
    LFS boss recommended plant hormones so I got one of these.

For the record, I'm housing 6 sen bichirs. Not sure if choice of fishes/feed/waste will affect water parameters or not. Fish + science idiot here.

Room will be air-conditioned when I sleep.

I've tried Seachem flourish excel with tenellus, flame, xmas moss at my office's Gex tank with stock lighting but non survived.

Please advise, thank you very much.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Please advice if my moss will survive

No light is like asking you to survive with no food. A few days is possible. After that, you will need food (light).

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Well, "no light" can mean lot of things. You mean "no ARTIFICIAL light," obviously. How bright is the room? If it is a well-lit room, and the tank gets a decent amount of ambient light, the Java moss should survive for quite some time. I'm sure you can find many of us on the forum that have grown Java moss with no supplemental light. Singapore moss is a teeny it more demanding.

IME, Java moss can decline a bit when suddenly being subjected to a change in light regimen, and it would be a shame to do that to a piece of driftwood with moss for which you paid so much money. If you have any doubts about there being enough light, and it sounds like you do, even a small, low-wattage cf bulb should be plenty - even if it's only 10 W or so. That won't contribute any significant heat.
    Last edited by lampeye; 17th Jan 2011 at 20:05.
    Knowing others, one is wise; knowing the self, one is enlightened. In conquering others, one is forceful; in conquering oneself, one is mighty.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Country
    Singapore

Basic requirements for all plants are light, fertilizer and co2.
    Most moss are low demand plant. However, absent of any of above will reduce its growth.